TKR Knee Wobble Question

Hi @patriciad,

I am not sure what to think about my surgeon now. I feel like I already tried and I will be dismissed again. I think switching surgeons is something to ponder.

I analyzed the two images in detail (today versus 5 days ago). I did see where today's image is taken dead straight on. The one 5 days ago was taken slightly from above so it is very possible the resorption is being obscured due to the plate and image angle itself on the image taken 5 days ago. I also noticed that my first set of images in July are also slightly from above. My swelling is pretty much gone. Stiffness pretty much gone. Wobble judged upper normal by a 3rd Doctor. Based on this I am thinking of just waiting unless something happens. I will sleep on it too.

Thank you for your concern. I really appreciate it.

Glad to hear an improvement in the knee swelling and stiffness. That’s very positive.

Your best course of action is to see your original surgeon in November, take all the xrays, get some new ones, and then ask your questions. It is possible that the angle of the xray on your last set of images has made a difference. If there is a problem, it should show itself in the new xrays. Don't worry about your implant....no matter what, it's not going to "fall out" or shift while you wait to see your surgeon. Treat any pain you have and don't push too hard with the exercises or activity.

Of course, if you have totally lost faith in your original surgeon, then it certainly would be okay to switch to one of the other two you've seen. Either way, a surgeon is likely going to want to wait a while longer to observe your knee.

Thank you @Jamie. I am thinking along those lines. I am debating between:
1 - Call my primary and ask for an infection test/screen. I think he would say no.
2 - Wait until November

Maybe I can see if 2nd opinion Doc#2 would take another x-ray in like 2 weeks. That would confirm the rate of progression since it would be the same setup (hopefully). If there is no progression then wait to November. If there is then get an appointment with my primary and take the images.

Well my plan was accepted by 2nd opinion Doc#2. I get another X-ray in two weeks. I am thinking that will determine if we are seeing bone resorption or something pathologic. I think that is a good spot to leave things for now.

Good result with 2nd option doc #2. He has responded promptly to your concern which must make you feel better. You’ve done a great job of advocating for yourself. Hoping you get more progress on the knee whilst you wait the 2 weeks.

Thank you @patriciad.

Yep ... more home PT. I played golf yesterday and probably walked 7 miles today. That part of my recovery is going pretty well and I do seem to continue to gain function.

I am really fearing infection. For about a month now I have pain when I get up and begin walking. The pain is mostly on the outside but it seems to be bone or nerve pain rather than something I can actually touch. Once I get going the pain dies down a lot. Rest helps a little and so does Aleve. It comes right back though. I also have some neuropathy on the bottom of my foot as a result it seams.

Thank you @Pumpkin. They actually discharged me from PT a few weeks ago. I was really doing well. ROM was established as well as all the PT exercises. I may make another appointment though.

I did talk my second 2nd opinion Doc into taking the blood tests for infection. Hopefully, it rules it out. The test will be Thursday. Results likely a few days later. Still have the x-ray scheduled next week. I can hardly believe this is a topic for me now.

One positive sign...today I am on travel and in meetings all day, 12 hours. So no exercise at all other than getting from place to place (I have only been in 2 places) and the outside pain is way down in intensity. I think that confirms that activity is at least in part responsible.

Last edited:
Well some more good news. My blood tests came back. ESR was 2mm/h, CRP was 1.4mg/L and WBC normal. ESR and CRP numbers seem real good to me since they are much closer to 0 than the they are to the clip level. The clip levels are 20mm/hr for ESR and 8mg/L for CRP. The Doc (my second 2nd opinion Doc) said that infection is highly unlikely. That matches what I read.

The only troubling thing is that the lateral pain has spiked with more activity. I am hopefully going to a College football game tomorrow and on Friday I actually tested walking to the stadium and back from where I would park. Lots of steps along the way (about a mile each way) ... maybe 75 up going to and 75 down going from. Taking it easy today to see if that helps. I notice the pain comes when I put weight on and when I take weight off. When I walk for a while it moderates quite a bit. Sure seems like bone versus muscle or soft tissue. If anyone has had something like this and found a way to get rid of it I would love to hear. Ideas too.

If anyone has had something like this and found a way to get rid of it I would love to hear.
Almost all of us have had this, at your stage of recovery. What you need is Time. All these issues will go away as you heal, and complete healing takes an average of a year.

What I remember most around 3-5 months after surgery is how much my new knee didn't like being bent for long periods of time. It will be helpful if you have a way to stretch out your leg during the game tomorrow. It won't be walking to your seat and back that will be painful, it will be sitting with that knee bent for 3+ hours. We used to have college football tickets and those seats are packed in and cramped together. Good luck, if you can bring in a disposable ice pack or two, that might help too.

Thank you @Susie-Q. A month ago I would agree that I wouldn't have pain walking to the stadium and back. Unfortunately, the lateral and now behind the knee pain is getting worse. I feel a lot of "clunking" and was originally thinking it was the prosthesis but I think it is soft tissue snapping on something with each step. I actually feel it happening in the back of my leg. Hopefully this is something that my body adjusts to. I think I am just going to plow ahead, take an Aleve and see what happens and talk to the Doc about all of this Wednesday.

In an earlier post you indicated that on the day you were in meetings and did no exercise this pain eased. I think that says a lot! Cut down on the walking and exercise and see if this eases. Then SLOWLY build up. Plow ahead is only going to result in developing a chronic situation.

You have a point there @Jaycey.

I skipped my home PT and walk so far this morning. I will try some reduction in activity to see if the benefit continues.

And don’t forget to ice and elevate! I am MONTHS out of both my TKR’s and woke up with pain behind my left knee today! It just takes a long time to heal. :banghead:

We had our ops one a day apart. Two Sundays ago I had tickets to MSU - Nebraska. I ended up asking my wife to take a friend with the tickets.

Parking is normally 1 mile plus from the tailgate and then another half mile to the stadium. Then sitting with knee bent for 3 - 4 hours. Then walk back to the car. Pre-surgery I wouldn't have thought twice about all this activity. Now if I pushed through I figured I would be set back to using a walker.

MSU - UM in two weeks. I hope to hit the tailgate and drive home to watch the game. While walking is getting better, sitting with knee bent more than 30 minutes my biggest issue.

If you were able to do the game today, that is a great sign that you are healing up!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back