HokieGCC
junior member
- Joined
- Jul 18, 2021
- Messages
- 80
- Age
- 65
- Gender
- Male
- Country
United States
Hello Everyone,
I can't thank you enough for your encouragement and valuable info. Here is my update...
The x-rays were good today showing no advancement in bone resorption. That combined with the blood test has my second 2nd opinion Doc happy and it appears things are ok. I asked him what he could tell about the quality of the implant and he noted my Tibia was a press fit and there is not tons of data on how well those do. He said my alignment looked good both from the patella tracking and placement of the implants.
It appears to me most of the issue is me managing my expectations. I am a lifelong competitive runner and a year ago I was considering my 4th marathon literally now (this fall) and now I find myself working on going up and down stairs and getting out of a chair w/o my arms. I just haven't successfully calibrated myself yet.
Regarding the football game I realized there is a route to the stadium that doesn't have steps. It was a little longer and hilly but only like 3 steps. In the stadium itself there were around 30 steps so that wasn't too bad. I am guessing the walk was a mile and half each way. Sitting in the stands wasn't much of an issue. We were standing much of the game as it was back and forth the whole time. The BIGGEST challenge by far was the jam packed sidewalks and roads with fans (many likely not sober) at night...coming and going. Going was worse. This was WAY different than walking by myself in the neighborhood. It tests your balance and reaction time. This is a "tip" that seemed to have helped me. At home I intentionally do my evening walk in the dark for the purposes of re-gaining spacial awareness other than just my eyes. That seems to have helped me deal with the heavy crowd in the dark.
I can't thank you enough for your encouragement and valuable info. Here is my update...
The x-rays were good today showing no advancement in bone resorption. That combined with the blood test has my second 2nd opinion Doc happy and it appears things are ok. I asked him what he could tell about the quality of the implant and he noted my Tibia was a press fit and there is not tons of data on how well those do. He said my alignment looked good both from the patella tracking and placement of the implants.
It appears to me most of the issue is me managing my expectations. I am a lifelong competitive runner and a year ago I was considering my 4th marathon literally now (this fall) and now I find myself working on going up and down stairs and getting out of a chair w/o my arms. I just haven't successfully calibrated myself yet.
Regarding the football game I realized there is a route to the stadium that doesn't have steps. It was a little longer and hilly but only like 3 steps. In the stadium itself there were around 30 steps so that wasn't too bad. I am guessing the walk was a mile and half each way. Sitting in the stands wasn't much of an issue. We were standing much of the game as it was back and forth the whole time. The BIGGEST challenge by far was the jam packed sidewalks and roads with fans (many likely not sober) at night...coming and going. Going was worse. This was WAY different than walking by myself in the neighborhood. It tests your balance and reaction time. This is a "tip" that seemed to have helped me. At home I intentionally do my evening walk in the dark for the purposes of re-gaining spacial awareness other than just my eyes. That seems to have helped me deal with the heavy crowd in the dark.