Rockgirl4
Former BoneSmart staff member
Hello, and sorry I'm just seeing your thread. I posted my 1 yr update today, and I think you might benefit from reading my Recovery thread if you want to see how brutal those first 3-4 weeks can be---and it is NORMAL.
We also have a lot in common, so it might give you an idea how normal you truly are. Look for "Rockgirl4's Recovery----already full of surprises" or look in my signature below where I bookmarked my recovery thread.
Your recovery just sounds very similar to mine, and I also had many major and minor surgeries to my knee before the TKR. My surgeon told me this puts us in a category all our own, and there are no "normal" timelines for what to expect. I was lucky though. My surgeon believed the Bonesmart way and said the first 3-4 weeks should be gentle and no forcing the knee to bend or straighten. The swelling and inflammation can be much higher in some people like us, and a swollen knee CANNOT/WILL NOT bend. It sounds as if you have one of those surgeons who think everyone is just alike and has to suffer to get better. PLEASE don't buy into this. YOU are the patient, he works for YOU, and the PTs work for you. It does sound like you have a current, rational PT though, as aggressive PT can create adhesions ----I've lived it, which is why I found a new surgeon for my TKR who had a different, more modern and research-based philosophy.
I wish I could summarize more tonight but need to get to bed. That's why I wanted to point out my recovery thread above. I was a gym-rat, who was in great shape going in to my TKR. I had great strenght, flexibility, and motivation. Your surgeon would have probably called me lazy in recovery.....but my surgeon knew the truth---a swollen knee will not bend, and some of us need more time than others to gain range of motion. Time truly is your best friend.
---Lisa
Your recovery just sounds very similar to mine, and I also had many major and minor surgeries to my knee before the TKR. My surgeon told me this puts us in a category all our own, and there are no "normal" timelines for what to expect. I was lucky though. My surgeon believed the Bonesmart way and said the first 3-4 weeks should be gentle and no forcing the knee to bend or straighten. The swelling and inflammation can be much higher in some people like us, and a swollen knee CANNOT/WILL NOT bend. It sounds as if you have one of those surgeons who think everyone is just alike and has to suffer to get better. PLEASE don't buy into this. YOU are the patient, he works for YOU, and the PTs work for you. It does sound like you have a current, rational PT though, as aggressive PT can create adhesions ----I've lived it, which is why I found a new surgeon for my TKR who had a different, more modern and research-based philosophy.
I wish I could summarize more tonight but need to get to bed. That's why I wanted to point out my recovery thread above. I was a gym-rat, who was in great shape going in to my TKR. I had great strenght, flexibility, and motivation. Your surgeon would have probably called me lazy in recovery.....but my surgeon knew the truth---a swollen knee will not bend, and some of us need more time than others to gain range of motion. Time truly is your best friend.
---Lisa
Last edited:
United States
Not sure why but if I’m standing for too long that happens. So two questions-how long before any of you could sleep in your bed without pain? I tried a pillow between my legs lying on my side with the operative leg on top, tried lying on my back, but those were both no go’s. And second question-any reason I would be feeling lightheaded and nauseous after standing too long? It’s not so fun!
The problem after my TKR is I was constantly shifting to find a comfortable position, and I needed to vary my elevation/icing all night long.
I’m mostly done with the cane but still use it periodically. I had my post-op appointment on Wednesday and it went well. He told me to “push through the pain” and sleep in my bed, despite the fact that it hurts my knee. *insert eye roll here* Um, no thanks. Although I’ve had a pinched nerve in my neck for almost a week due to sleeping in my recliner. Ouch!