TKR Knee Replacement Infection - Dad's TKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi CLG - I hope this morning brought more strength to your dad. this went on our prayer chain this morning:
---------
As Lynn requests, this dear man, Juan Carlos, is certainly someone in need of our
prayers. What a very difficult road he has been travelling! May the Lord let the latest round of antibiotics
heal the serious infection and may He offer strength for Jose and his daughter! Thanks, God Bless

----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2013 7:07 PM
Subject: Prayer chain request
Hi Barbara -

As you can appreciate, I have a new senstitivity to those going through joint replacements. I have a young friend whose father Juan Campos is experiencing a very troubling time. Though only 55, he has rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes. He had a knee replaced in November, but developed a serious infection which destroyed much of the ligaments down nearly to the bone and caused the incision to open. They had to remove the prosthesis and give him a temporary spacer, while he started a heavy course of antibiotics. Beause of the RA, he retained liquids, developed pnemonia, and had a lot of side-effects from the administration of antibiotics. He is now at the point that if this last round of antibiotics does not work, they will amputate!

Please pray for Jose and his daughter, who is basically with him round the clock at the hospital (and still managed to get all A's in her college classes last semester). A miracle recovery would be great, but certainly for strength for her and her family, wisdom for his medical team at Monterey Park Hospital, positive healing thoughts for Jose.

It puts all my little aches and pains from my replacements into a whole new perspective!

Thank you.
Lynn M-C
 
I am sure you have researched this, but I found this site of doctors specializing in infectious diseases - MSTA in Los Angeles. Just a thought: broken link removed: https://www.medicinenet.com/mrsa_infection/los-angeles-ca_city.htm
 
I hope you Father will be ok. Sometimes bad things happen to good people. It doesn't make sense it just happens. Keep us informed on his condition. Take care and make sure you get lots of rest. You need to take care of you too. Tashia :console2:
 
Thank you so much NightQuilter and everyone on this thread!!! I am forever indebted to you for your beautiful and thoughtful prayers, I teared up the moment I came back and read all these wonderful posts of encouragement. Life has been highly difficult, but you guys have significantly helped restore my faith in God and in the power of hope. I pray tonight that God will bless each one of you for your help throughout this very dark period of our lives. Already I can feel the clouds dissipating, as we were told that my father is doing some improvements, and may be well on his way to getting some recovery done before his total/final replacement or knee fusion take place. It also appears that MRSA is absent and not in fathers system at the moment!!! I highly believe your prayers have played a role in this process, and this means the world to me. If I could embrace all of you, I would. Please accept a virtual but very heartfelt hug from me, I will be putting each of you in prayer tonight for a special blessing from God. I will be in touch. I have my own hip replacement coming up this Tuesday, surprisingly enough! Father had been my main focus, and I am leaving him in Gods hands for a little while before I get replaced!
 
God is good isn't he! You really have a lot on your plate but your right God is definitely with you and your dad. I see you have your own surgery coming up wow definitely young for that but I'm told hip surgeries are so much better now so I know you will be great. I hope you have the help your going to need. You definitely have us all here and so does your dad I pray for both of you and special prayers for your surgery. :angel: Paula
 
CookingLoverGirl I'm so sorry that I'm just now catching up with your thread. You have been a pillar of strength for your father and now you're having your own hip replaced!! Oh my...what a full plate you have. God bless you for your ability to deal with all of this and to be such a strong advocate for your father. I will keep you and your family close in my prayers.

Please post when you can. Your BoneSmart family is here for you when you need us.
 
CLG - you just love excitement don't you! I had my hips done 10 years ago and while not a walk in the park, they have made so many improvements in that procedure, you should be moving well in no time! What wonderful news about your father - may every day bring news of his strengthening and progress. We'll be raising prayers for you tomorrow as well!
 
Thank you so much for your loving and kind words!! My daddy's wound is looking better, and tomorrow, I will get a new warrior wound myself, one for which I have been waiting for a while. God knows the struggles I've faced, and how tired I am of the limp and bone-on-bone pain. It's time for change! I just got told my slice and dice time tomorrow is at 10:30 a.m. Here we go! Nothing will stop me from advocating for my father whenever given the chance, not even my ol' hip :) Thank you ladies so much for your support, I feel so blessed to have you all here!! :happydance: :thankyou:
 
Hello cookinglovergirl, I've been reading th thread and truly hope your father is on the mend and wish you the best of luck with your own surgery, :flwrysmile: I look forward to hearing how you are doing. Take care.
 
Let's see CLG, you should be close to release from your hip replacement. I am sure all went well and you'll be up and back to managing your dad's care in no time! Please let us know how you are doing!
 
Hi everyone,

I was gone for a little while due to my hip replacement surgery taking place, but I am back, I wanted to again thank each and every one of you on this thread for your prayers, kind words, stories, and hope. reading your posts has been like medicine to my heart.

I am recovering rather well to my surgery, and I couldn't be more relieved. After a few days with unbearable pain and nausea, I went on to improve remarkably, however my happiness is marred by my dad's suffering.

My father continues to grapple with his treatment, and they're contemplating an above-the-knee amputation. As a rheumatiod arthritis and diabetic patient, his risks are high, and his recovery has been slow. His wounds have not shown signs of quick healing, and the antibiotics have ravaged his system inducing nausea and other side effects. I thank you for your prayers, and I can only hope in God's name that my father will be healed. It is all I want.
 
That is fantastic and wonderful that you are doing well following your surgery; may you continue to heal and recover.

And yet it is such a difficult decision for your family and father; how to proceed, what will help, what medical advice is best.... so very very sorry that he is still in pain.

My prayers continue for your father.
 
Oh CLG, we are delighted to have you back with us, though I am sorry your recovery from your hip replacement wasn't more seamless. We/I will continue to raise prayers for both of you. It must be so draining for you to be so invested in your dad's recovery while dealing with your own! Good luck, my friend. I am sorry the meds were so problematic for you initially, but you are doing better now.
 
Thank you so much, I am always floored by how well you guys understand me, and my emotions through this process. It has been one difficult rollercoaster, and I am deeply appreciative for your prayers, for I know they have worked at least with me. As for my daddy, we will continue to pray and hope until something happens :) Because that's what we do when we have someone so good in our lives.

I appreciate your kind words so much too, I thank God because he placed you in my path!
 
CLG - and He placed you in ours! We may not fully understand, but we are all drawn here for the benefit of each other.
 
CLG,

I am just catching up again on your thread! Your Dad wounds: have they tried a hyperbaric chamber to help healing? I know that when wounds on diabetics are tough to heal sometimes they try this method. I am glad to hear you are doing pretty well from your surgery! I will continue to keep both of you I my prayers! :angel:
 
CLG,

I am just catching up again on your thread! Your Dad wounds: have they tried a hyperbaric chamber to help healing? I know that when wounds on diabetics are tough to heal sometimes they try this method. I am glad to hear you are doing pretty well from your surgery! I will continue to keep both of you I my prayers! :angel:
-------------------------------


Thank you so much for suggesting the hyperbaric treatment!! And of course, for your prayers and good wishes, I knew about the hyperbaric treatment for some time, and I asked a doctor, for which they told me that it's not typically used on patients with deep wounds.. I will try to fully ascertain that this is true. Thank you so much for mentioning it, maybe this means I should really probe into whether it can help.

Things are slowgoing for my father at the moment, he cried to us today and expressed some discouragement. He speaks of "giving up" to which we cry with him. It's a slow process, for which we hope God will help precipitate.
 
I am always amazed at how strong others are when going through such medical nightmares. I could not put up with half of what you describe your father has been through. Yet, having your love and that of the rest of the family gives him that additional strength he needs.

Take care of yourself too; having surgery drains all energy as you heal and I'm sure you have none to spare at the moment.
 
Please let your Dad know that I do understand as I know the pain of MRSA and the ravaging effects it has on the body! However, I am on the other side now and out living life again and if I had given up it would have been heartbreaking not only for me but for my family as well. Even if they end up as a last resort amputating; tell him to stay strong! He is alive, and he has you and your family to help him through! So many come here alone and don't have anyone! Thank God he has a daughter that is as caring as you! Keep his spirits up! I would suggest a book called Chicken Soup for the Soul Think Positive! It made me grateful for what I have and humble for thinking that I had it so bad when others were so much worse off than I but refused to give in! It is OK for your Dad to cry; just let him know, laughter is good for the soul also! :happydance: Look up silly jokes on the internet, silly utube videos, heck even look at posts that I have made or Debbie_joints, Jacky48, and others make! We are a crazy bunch! Now I will let you know that I was the "SHY" one of the group before those two corrupted me, but that will remain our little secret!:wink: :heehee:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom