TKR Knee pain - CRPS

:console2:Hope you're feeling less blue today.
 
The blues are something we all have to deal with. And they aren't any fun! Just know that you aren't alone and those blues will go away. There is something is the library about them. Hope they can help you. And just know that we care and are here for you!
 
Hi @Sunbeam10. Just now seeing your post here. I hope you are feeling better. If it helps, most of us had those early post-op blues. In your 'crucial' articles above is one entitled, Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it.

I read that article many times in my early days! Just wanted to say hi and I hope you're feeling better! Let us hear from you when you feel up to posting!

= )
 
First formal physiotherapy appointment two days ago.

To say the physio was impressed is probably an understatement (I have known him for a year now), flexion was at about 102, physio was expecting about 90, so he asked what I had been doing, I told him that rest, elevation and ice was all I had done ie no lunges, squats, or leg raises.

His reply.....maybe that's what all my patient's should do!!!! Maybe there is a convert to the BoneSmart way in the making!


Arthroscopy, partial menisectomy - June 2015
Arthroscopic washouts x3 - July 2015
Arthroscopic washout and synovectomy -July 2015
Right total knee replacement - July 2016

Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Fantastic, congrats! Hopefully your PT will now take what you have shown and share it with others.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Way to go! You are more proof that doing no PT really works!
 
I was wondering if anyone can give me any advice. I am now 10 months post total knee replacement and am still experiencing a lot of pain in and around the joint. My GP is wondering if I have developed a condition called complex regional pain syndrome due to the number of operations I have had on that knee and I am taking various medications to try and control it. Can anyone tell me if this a common occurrence and how it was managed. Many thanks
 
@Sunbeam I noticed that you'd had a lot of views but no replies so thought I'd say hello. I am sorry to hear about your ongoing pain issues. I think @Josephine might be the person to give you some information so have tagged her for you in this mail.
I know there was a thread called "CPRS - let's talk about it" which you could search for while you are waiting for replies. Best regards
 
Sunbeam, I tried posting to you yesterday but was having some technical difficulties. SuperSnapper is right. Josephine is the expert here, particularly where CRPS is concerned. There is an article in the library you can read that may be informative.
 
All I know is in that article. I'm so sorry you have this. Have you been referred to a specialist pain clinic? Meaning one at a university hospital, not just the local hospital.
 
Sunbeam, I'm so sorry to hear you're still having a lot of pain. An actual diagnosis of #CRPS can be quite involved, so until you have seen a specialist I'd be a bit hesitant to say you have it for sure. Have you been back to your surgeon to make sure there is nothing going on with the knee implant itself?

Your recovery seemed to be going along pretty well months ago when you were first starting out. Typically we'll see CRPS in those members who really pushed themselves during recovery even though they were in pain. In reading back through your recovery thread (which I have merged with this latest thread you created so we could have all the information in one place) you didn't sound like you were going to push the activity and exercise. Can you tell us a bit more about what happened in those months? Was the pain about the same as now all this time?
 
Who ever you see about your continuing pain should be a good listener, kind, compassionate, empathetic, and understanding of your pain.
If they are not, find someone else.
 
Currently waiting to see consultant in regards to the implant itself and it is my general practitioner who is suggesting CRPS. My journey to this point started with a menisectomy and trimming of fat pads and was then followed less than a week later by an emergency arthroscopic washout and then 3 further arthroscopic washouts and a synovectomy. All but the first arthroscopy were carried out with no more than 48 hours between each surgery and it was based on this that the general practitioner suggested CRPS and who seems reluctant to refer me to a pain specialist until I have seen the orthopaedic surgeon again.

Jamie, the pain I am now experiencing is certainly different from the pain immediately post-op and is shooting / stabbing / burning in nature and the operated limb is a different temperature & colour to the non operated limb. I don't believe that I pushed the activity / exercise side of the recovery journey and never pushed myself through a pain barrier. I suppose that what I would like to know is, is pain at 10 months post-op a common occurrence?
 
At last I have seen my consultant! Due to my history I have had blood taken for C-reactive protein and erythrocyte sedimentation rate to exclude any infection, the consultant is confident that this is not the cause of my pain. I am also to have a CT scan. It is thought that I need more surgery to place a 'button' on the articulating surface of my kneecap. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
 
I am also to have a CT scan. It is thought that I need more surgery to place a 'button' on the articulating surface of my kneecap.
What your surgeon will be looking for in the scan is evidence of arthritis on the underside of the patella (kneecap) as you probably know. If this is the cause of your pain, then a patellar button if certainly the way to go. However, sadly the recovery will be almost the same as the original TKR surgery though not quite as bad as there will be no major bone cutting.
 
So sorry you have been going through this. I find the recovery to be a mind game almost as much as actual healing. But then to be through the worst and get hit with more pain, must be depressing. Hope the drs can find the source of your pain and Are able to eliminate it, so that you can get on with your life.
 
Back
Top Bottom