TKR Knee gives out

Josephine, I did read the articles, but unfortunately found this site two months after surgery. With so many people, the doctors and pt’s telling you so many different things it’s hard to separate what’s fact and myth. That’s why I do some research online. Eventually I found this site and I’m so glad I did! Thank you all for the wonderful help!!
 
With so many people, the doctors and pt’s telling you so many different things it’s hard to separate what’s fact and myth.
I agree, this really surprised me! What surprised me even more was the comments from anyone and everyone, about how I should rehab! :doh:
 
comments from anyone and everyone, about how I should rehab!
Another easy one. Listen to all those who are orthopeadic surgeons, physiotherapists or who have themselves had TKR. Ignore the others. Ooooh that makes it 99/1 or even 100/0, doesn't it?
 
Josephine, just one other question. The muscle in my thigh in the same leg I had the tkr is very tight and tense. This extends to above and around the knee. Will it ever relax like it used to be or will it stay tensed up? I was hoping it would of started to do this already, but no. I also get the pins and needles feeling sometimes towards the hip on upper thigh. I had a mini pico unit on the wound and the power supply was tucked into my Ted hose in the same area where I get the pins and needles. I’m guessing it’s from the pressure of that unit. Thanks so much for all the help.
 
Your exercises may explain some of your muscle tightness. Do you stretch the muscles you strengthen? I'm wondering if some gentle quad and hamstring stretches might help. The key word for all thing TKR recovery is gentle. The muscles around the knee can be strengthened, but based on the routine you describe, you have probably done a great job of that already. No amount of walking or exercising can make your recovery advance more quickly and make you more ready for work! It would be great if you could work shorter days initially. As far as your ROM, without trying at all it will in time be 120 and perhaps beyond.

Who are the "they" who think there's scar tissue? I think it's interesting that your PT suggested MUA but said he doesn't like that possibility. From what I've read and heard, MUA is indicated for those with ROM below 90 or so.
 
Maryo52, the “they” were the physical therapist themselves. I will try the gentle stretching for this leg. Thank you.
 
Maryo52
What type of gentle stretches do you do? I need to add more to my routine.
Thanks
 
Hello, I need to know if this is normal. I am almost 8 months post TKR. This morning I was by my kitchen island plugging in my phone. I turned to step away and my knee gave out. I started falling and there was nothing to catch myself on! I was in a forward motion.

Luckily, I have a baby gate to keep the dogs away from the cats food. I wound up catching myself on that and didn’t fall. My question is it normal for the knee to give out like this? Thank you in advance.

Dawn
 
@dmjacks1
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
If this is the first time your knee has given way, it is probably a one time experience. Giving way could be due to weak quads, or quads that did not respond fast enough to your change in position.
Do you have swelling or pain/stiffness after your near fall?

Glad you were able to catch yourself and are OK.
 
For what it’s worth, I am just 3 months into this journey but you have a dream extension at -3 for even 6 months out. I have flexion of 120 to 125 but that’s after I stupidly allowed a MUA a couple of weeks ago, my flexion prior was almost at 13o and I could just about match my good knee bend for bend, my extension was +6 going into it and now because of the swelling it’s +7. Probably never going to get to 0 but as long as I am painfree and back to life, I am okay. I would run, not walk from that therapist, his expectations are ludicrous, I hate to say I should have listened to the advice on this forum but I didn’t and it had put me back swelling wise at least 3 weeks. I am back to work and normal activities but I dare say I would probably have more extension with just my daily activities today if I had listened. Rant over!♀️
 
Pumpkin, there was minor discomfort and I iced right away, so no swelling. It has given out before but not this bad. I’m ok, it just surprised me. I need to let you know that my tkr severely affected my quads. For the first three weeks or so I couldn’t raise my lower leg up towards myself at the knee. I tried and tried but it wouldn’t budge. I finally got most of the strength back, but still occasional weakness. Throw on top of that my psoriatic arthritis which doesn’t help. I think I need to work on strengthening my quads. I felt the discomfort on the muscle which is right above the knee, so still healing.
 
Well, yesterday my knee gave out at work while I was walking in the back hallway. I was on the ground before I realized what had happened. Before this I need to mention that I had been to two more sessions of physical therapy for different issues but they did work the knee a bit and it felt stronger. I don’t know if this is my psoriatic arthritis causing this, the cosentyx which I just started less than a week ago, the weakness in the quad or a combination. One of the listed side effects of cosentyx is weakness. It has been just over a year since my tkr and I’m not sure what is going on. I’m stiff from the fall but nothing hurt. I never hit my knees going down but landed on my left arm which is just bruised. I still can’t climb stairs normally and cat do a complete rotation on a bike if I’m too close. The swelling in my knee has remained even after this long and I’m thinking it’s the PsA. Any advice would be most helpful. I do know the more I work the quad the weaker it seems to get and gives out more.
 
I'm sorry you had a fall, but I'm glad you weren't badly hurt.

I don't think you can entirely blame the psoriatic arthritis, because the bone surfaces in your knee that would have arthritis were removed during your surgery and replaced by the metal implants and the plastic spacer.
The psoriasis may still inflame some of your knee's soft tissues, but I don't think that's the sole cause of your knee letting you down.

You do need to go back to your surgeon and tell him/her what has happened.

If you feel that you can't trust your knee not to let you down again, it could be a good idea to use a stick, as a precaution against falling.
 
I agree with Celle. If you think your knee might give out like that again, please use a cane for now! My sweetie uses a cane due to his leg unexpectedly giving way beneath him occasionally, and several times the cane has saved him from a very bad fall.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom