TKR Knee#2's Recovery Thread

worst Pain is top of shoulders upon waking I’m sure it’s from sleeping on my side, gradually subsides but this situation is becoming increasingly overwhelming.. hopefully will hear from the “special “ MRI team soon for their approval. @marieltha did you have scope repair or open surgery? I have read a lot of your journal but can’t seem to remember.

Hi, sleeping position affects my shoulder as well.
I had a combination of 2 arthroscopic cuts (now resemble freckles) and a 3.5 inch incision. The tear was considerably larger than it had been on the MRI, but I had to recover from the knee surgery. Otherwise, I would have had the shoulder fixed first. Probably made it worse by using it too much.
CA251133-BA7E-4997-AA47-0F8F86BBA176.jpeg
Here’s my scar with whitish sunblock on it. Saw the OS yesterday and he thinks my skin heals exceptionally well (healthy diet contributes as well as genetics, he thinks), but I think he is being modest. LOL, the horizontal crease in my skin (don’t know what caused that) looks worse to me than the vertical scar.

Last edited:
Perhaps your MRI will show only bruising or sprains. I hope so. And I hope you sleep better.

It was about 12 hours after my TKR, walked to bathroom and nurse said she would give me privacy, I numbly agreed and after bit started to reach for pull light.. last thing I remembered until I woke on cold floor to ambulance guy pumping on my chest:shocked:.. I said Stop! I’m right here, I also heard them say to get crash cart ..yikes this must be serious! I had Experienced brief fainting spell one week earlier and had been checked out thoroughly by cardiology and ok’d to proceed w TKR
But this time it was providential I was in medical setting, my heart rate was barely audible and down to 24. They had already packed my bag and hurriedly made trip to Rapid City Regional Hospital ER where I was informed my heart was in total blockage. Unbelievable. Whisked off to ICU my poor new knee was now playing second fiddle and the required pacemaker was scheduled for next day. I did manage to get some sort of rest but I don’t remember any ice packs just lots medication. My left arm started complaining soon but thought it was due to pacemaker..My primary dr recognized the symptoms of rotator cuff tear and started process of MRI but so many hurdles, finally have chest X-ray and MRI scheduled end of month! Anxious to see damage done from falling on my face and what to do next..

I finally got the MRI scheduled! Monday after thanksgiving! Chest X-ray first to make sure those leads are still firmly in place!!!

How has your knee been doing? I'm glad you were able to get that pace maker and now are scheduled for the MRI soon. You are certainly been through it!

My knee has been doing well but tonight for some reason my entire leg is aching, it’s been a very long week. Stayed at daughters house five days taking care grands, one was sick then the other! Gramma is ready for vacation!
I was going to ask if if it’s normal to still have difficulty raising leg very far when laying on side? I just notice during night turning over ...

@marieltha you are right. Mornings take while to “unbend” my curved shoulders from sleeping on either side, I cannot seem to sleep on my back for more than few moments and my sleep for first couple hours is very restless and hard to settle down.. I’ve been taking couple Tylenol and two mild muscle relaxers but ran out of the relaxants few days ago, thankfully they are ready tomorrow.. I can always tell if I’ve overused the “good “ one since it complains now as well. Our bodies are so complex .. mine hurts in places I never expected this year!

I'm so glad your MRI is finally scheduled and you can add in some more healing.
You've been through the wringer this year. I can sympathize. I've been in the hospital 4 times in the last year. 2 life threatening issues, 2 replacement issues. It's exhausting.

I hope the MRI shows something simple to fix and easy to heal from.

I can always tell if I’ve overused the “good “ one since it complains now as well.
This is a pretty common thing. Mine old knee really acted up when I had my TKR until the new knee got better and took over some of my weight. Now, either knee hardly ever hurts.

@luvcats thx for your concern and thoughts, I must be behind.. 4 surgeries? And life threatening ? I better catch up on your journal.. Zann

Sorry, I was having a Drama Llama moment. Last December I had emergency surgery for a strangulated hernia right before Christmas. Then in early January, in part because of a completely incompetent home care nurse, I wound up back in the hospital for a severe infection. I was there a week and a half before they got it solved, and then because of a hospital mess up, I was there another week while they managed the blood clot I got from laying around for a week and a half. It was a very exciting holiday season. This year I believe Disney is a much better way to go!

And it all worked out. The ER nurse is the one who told me I needed a second opinion on whether or not I could get my knees replaced, and my home therapy people are the ones who gave me the name of my awesome surgeon. And now here I am with new friends and 2 brand new knees!!

I hope your knee and shoulder will rest and be quiet (not active) today so you can enjoy Thanksgiving.

Thank you @marieltha! Hope yours was a good day too. Yesterday was a good day spent with family... . Well typical SD weather predicted snowstorm later today and tomorrow but this am the streets and almost everywhere was glazed with ice. In fact the X-ray department at hospital was closed to outpatients re weather. I dont know what will happen Monday when my MRI is scheduled, I’ll have to see. Maybe they can squeeze me in before. The barometer is falling fast and my whole body is protesting!

I’m very glad you had a nice Thanksgiving. And thank you, ours was lovely.

Oh my goodness, snow and ice! Be careful if you venture out.

I hope your MRI isn’t delayed.

My fingers are crossed for you that your MRI is good to go today.
I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving.

Hi all, Well the night of thanksgiving our weather turned into snowstorm and continued throughout weekend and therefore all MRI special team services were canceled and rescheduled, I’m looking at doing the X-ray and MRI in couple weeks December 18. Some days it seems better and then again the same. Anxious to actually see what’s going on.. walking more but IT band over TKR is still bit tight.. as expected I guess. Hubbys laminectomy surgery went well a month ago and he seems to be doing well. Between the two of us we are finally putting up few Christmas decorations :carols: Hoping everyone is doing well! @luvcats I think of you in warmer weather and envious!

So good to hear from you! Sorry your tests were delayed, as knowing enables one to plan. Sounds like you both are stable and doing well, though, which is the important thing.:wreath:

Hoping everyone had a very merry Christmas! My knee continues to be stiff almost every day but to be expected. I did finally get my MRI results... unbelievably the surgeon replied they came back normal! We were both stunned and thought for sure I had a tear. I do know it still hurts but he is thinking perhaps swelling/tendinitis.. and recommending PT for few weeks.. however he is still suspect of the MRI and wants to scope it if no improvement. Which I suppose is a good idea. Any thoughts from anyone?

Good to hear from you!

It will be interesting to hear the BS advisors’ input.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member