Guest viewing is limited

TKR Knee # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good for you getting off narcotics if you don't need them don't take them....you can have swelling for months after and it gets aggravated every time you push yourself before it is gone..quads take a long time to recover but they do..I am 5 months out and have no real limitations but I did all of the painful work before surgery and very little since other than walking the golf course which I do 4 times a week...3 weeks after surgery is very early as every one will tell you but it does get much much better....most days I have no real feeling that I had two new knees less than 5 months ago...they are amazing devices.

Vinny
 
You may be pushing things a bit by trying to walk a half mile at this early stage. I know you're eager to be active again, but please do take things slowly and listen to your body. When you swell, that's the sign you need to pull back on the exercise or activity a bit. As you probably know, the reduction in your ROM since you've been home is due to swelling. It's not really lost. And the swelling is due to you being more active than you were in the hospital. It's a fine dance to find the right balance between activity and rest. But you can do it. Just be aware that the balance can change constantly from week to week and even day to day!!!

I hope you get your sleep problems resolved as that can be a factor in how you feel.
 
I had my first visit to the physical therapist on Monday. Very slow and methodical examination of my ROM.

Started the visit at 80 degree and 13 degree and by the end of the visit, was at 88 and 9. Focused on some massage of the quads, testing the movement within the knee cap. The quads have been very slow to respond, so my therapist worked with me on staying with basic quad sets, heel slides and short arc quads over a towel roll. Staying focused on short intervals and two short sets. Also worked on sitting exercises with assistance from my therapist. Finished with toe raises and heel raises.

Iced and elevated to complete the first visit. I will be going twice per week, and will continue to work on my basic exercises and short walks in between PT days. No pain meds necessary. Came home and elevated, iced and rested. No noticeable swelling which was a nice change.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My quads in the left (2nd knee- almost 3 weeks) are also painful with the straight leg lifts, an issue I did not have with the right (1st knee). It is slowly improving. For me, the more prone I can be, the less painful and easier they are to do. Good luck & keep at it! It will get better.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The past few nights have been difficult as I continue to have a struggle finding a comfortable position to sleep. I was excited when my PA told me I could sleep without my knee elevated, but I am finding that my knee is hyper sensitive to the pressure against the bed. I have tried a pillow between the knees and legs, but so far not going well. I find myself going back to an elevated leg, but with my sleep apnea challenge, I am still not getting the kind of restful sleep I feel I need. I am meeting with the sleep specialist in a few weeks.
 
Perhaps a recliner might be helpful. I slept in a recliner for a few weeks after my first TKR. Just a thought.

Hang in there, it will get better!
 
Weathering the Storm
Update: Day 21 post op TKR

Today has been a great day in that I had huge improvements in my ROM (range of motion) in my knee during PT. Since Monday, I have gone from a bend of 80 degrees to a bend of 105 degrees today. Additionally I have been able to straighten my leg from 13 degrees to 6 degrees.

Also, I am comfortably able to walk 1 mile without any significant swelling. It feels so good to not have pain with every step.

Clearly I have much more work ahead of me. My goal for this next week is to continue improving my quadriceps strength and increase my ROM to 110 degrees by my next PT appointment on Tuesday.

I want to thank each of you that have commented and supported me through this process. One never knows how things are going to go when you under go a medical procedure, so the moral support has been great.

Have a great weekend everyone.:yahoo:
 
bit by bit you're getting there!
 
Here I am again. Just completed TKR Right Knee on November 20


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Welcome to the other side again!
If you want to change the title of your thread just write it here and a moderator will change it for you.
Keep us posted on how you are doing,
 
Welcome back, tt!

For a reminder, here is the post op recovery reading list, again.

First are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Next is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) thread.

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

And then some wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM

I hope everything goes well for you.
 
Welcome to the other side again!
If you want to change the title of your thread just write it here and a moderator will change it for you.
Keep us posted on how you are doing,
I would like to change my thread name too "Knee #2". Thanks!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Congratulations on your second knee! How is the first TKR doing? What will you do differently this time? Hope you have a peaceful day.
 
The first knee has turned out great! I was able to train (cycle and weights) right up to my most recent surgery. So far things have gone very well with this surgery. The past couple of days have been the most difficult, but I knew that I would have to deal with that at some point. I have been able to manage the Meds much better, and now that I have a CPAP, I am getting the rest I need.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
That's great! Coming up on 2 weeks post op myself. Have done only the PT from a great home PT. Rest, ice, elevate, and medicate work wonders.
CPAP does work wonders.
Wishing you the best in recovery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom