Guest viewing is limited

TKR kmak's TKR recovery thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Polkadot, how cool to have been so close to the NBA Super Star! I don't watch basketball, so I would've have just thought, "Wow, that guy's really tall," LOL!
 
That is awesome that you saw and met an NBA celebrity at the gym @Polkadot - and doing the "retro" or backwards walking!. Wonder what he was working on. I will give it another go in a couple of weeks. I do like the leg press for the same reasons as you - in fact I was on the leg press this morning for one of the measurements. I suppose the others at the gym think I am lazy as I just sit there with my legs in the flexed position doing very few reps at the lowest weight of 10#. I also can work a bit on extension on that machine. At least my mom didn't admonish me to stand up straight on this visit :wink:
 
My cactus orchid is blooming which makes my knee very happy today. TGIF to all you working *stiffs* [Bonesmart.org] kmak's TKR recovery thread
 
I'm glad you mentioned the leg press for "holding flexion." I think that's another reason why I've liked it. I can see the bend right in front of me, the weight helps me flex as far as I can, and I can adjust the seat for more bend if I want to challenge myself.

I do like the leg press for the same reasons as you - in fact I was on the leg press this morning for one of the measurements. I suppose the others at the gym think I am lazy as I just sit there with my legs in the flexed position doing very few reps at the lowest weight of 10#. I also can work a bit on extension on that machine.
And you ladies wonder why your legs stay swollen?

The leg press is not good for new knees, and neither is using weights. You shouldn't even think about using those machines until at least 6 months after a knee replacement. There is too much danger that you will twist and damage your new knees.
 
I do like the leg press for the same reasons as you
No surprise that I also like the leg press for the very same reasons; hah!
Well Celle said it before me but I'm going to say it again! You should not ever use a leg press or any other weighted gym machine for at least a year after a TKR. It's known that such activities require torsional manoeuvres which can make the tibial components lose their fix in the cement and/or bone. Don't say I never told you!
 
I'm declaring a moratorium on exercise equipment for Rosebud for a while. Except for the bike. I'll let you know how it goes!
 
wow, good for you kmak81230 kneeling on the exercise bench. i think i used to like that apparatus years and years ago when i belonged to a gym. i've been kneeling a little on my sofa when liam runs behind it with my phone or something in his mouth and i have to grab him lol! he thinks i can't catch him when he's behind the sofa!:doggie:
 
I don't know why, but the photo of you in your gym wasn't there earlier. Now I can see you! You look great! I'm impressed with the kneeling, too!

Sorry about the non sequiturs earlier--I was a bit bamboozled.:dubious:
 
Hi kmak I'm looking at your kneeling pic at the gym and noticed the lady kneeling behind you. I used to be able to do that! But as for you: very good!. Have only tried kneeling on my bed. Didn't last long. I was afraid I might harm my new knee or make the other one hurt.
As to the leg presses. I am wondering why none of the 14 PT people at rehab said anything about the leg presses I was doing. Do they not know it is not good for newly operated knees? I had a counterweight of 14 Kilos, sometimes 16. They all knew I was at the 3 month stage. The OS didn't say anything either.
In any case, I am not doing them anymore.
 
Ow! Sounds like even if it doesn't hurt, it might be best not to do certain things!
 
FWIW, As I've mentioned before I have not been using the leg press for strength training. I only use it to hold the flexion position, providing a moderate stretch, and I don't swell any more or less as a result of doing so. The lowest weight on the machine at my gym is 10# which is what I always set it at and so it ends up being about a 5# press on each leg which is probably less than I have to press walking up stairs or slightly more than biking with resistance. I only do 5, holding in the flex position for a few minutes at a time, then hold in the extend position. I didn't use the leg press for strength prior to TKR and don't expect to do so after.

For me, squats (not too deep), lunges, and crab walks with bands are actually much more effective for strengthening quads and hamstrings as they are more dynamic and require activation of more stabilizing muscles. Plus they are more akin to everyday movements.

@JJ65 - the total gym is different. They have one at my PT clinic. Before I could do a pedal revolution I used it to warm up and loosen up my knee prior to PT, just sliding up and down with no resistance. After I could pedal, I switched over to the bike for warming up. There is not a total gym at my exercise facility so that is kind of what I have been using the leg press for - just to provide a moderate stretch in the flexion position. But I am at 5 months - I would not have done so even a month ago due to the 10# resistance on the leg press.

@Polkadot - I tend to think in non sequiturs so did not even notice :heehee: . . . good win yesterday over Iowa. . . big game next week. I fear we will be on opposite sidelines.

@VW54 - not sure why PTs don't caution about the leg press or other machines. Probably the same reason they still push/force knees to bend. It is frustrating to get mixed messages about all of this. As an example, just a few posts earlier, @Celle said no weight machines for at least 6 mos and @Josephine said a year. That's a pretty big difference. Which is it? Inquiring minds want to know. :shrug:

@liam2015 - after several weeks, the kneeling feels more comfortable. The picture doesn't show it well, but I was holding a pull-up position, so did not have all my weight on my knees. And the pad is pretty cushiony. I have not yet tried, but will hope to be able to kneel on a cushion in my garden next summer.
 
Last night we went to a fundraiser with a great 80s cover band. I was on my feet dancing for about 2 hours. At the time I felt pretty good - a few adult beverages helped I expect. :cheers:We did not do the limbo and I did not perform my 80s dance moves with too much enthusiasm. This morning the knee still felt pretty good so I went for a 2 mile walk on a flat trail - was tired the last half mile so icing and elevating currently, but nice to know I did no damage as a result of my night on the town.
 
Wow!! You truly are a rock star! Dancing the night away and a two mile hike. :dancy::dancy:
Reading the comments about the leg press machines made me think of the 12 weeks I spent at physical therapy. I loved the "shuttle" which had virtually no resistance at first and could be set to facilitate increasing bend gradually. At the end of the 12 weeks, I was starting quite close to the board for the legs so a lot of bend was involved. If the PT was increasing the resistance, it was so gradual that I didn't even notice. I'll try to attach a picture from the internet.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] kmak's TKR recovery thread
    shuttle.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 254
I have not been using the leg press for strength training. I only use it to hold the flexion position, providing a moderate stretch, and I don't swell any more or less as a result of doing so
Doesn't matter - it can still result in the torsional movement
not sure why PTs don't caution about the leg press or other machines. Probably the same reason they still push/force knees to bend
Exactly - because they a) are incorrectly instructed, b) don't know and c) both of the above!
Celle said no weight machines for at least 6 mos and Josephine said a year. That's a pretty big difference. Which is it? Inquiring minds want to know
I was probably being overcautious but that was the opinion I've heard around the conferences.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom