Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kiwicurls TKR 27 Feb 2024

Quick question: I just got back from the podiatrist. It was quite a long walk and I was concentrating on walking heel to toe as recommended on here. Should I walk like this all the time if possible? It hurts a bit.
 
Clarifying question: can you quantify the distance, either in miles or in time walking?
Can you describe where it hurt (inside the joint, the quads, under the patella, behind the knee)?

It's best to concentrate on heel to toe when you can pace yourself - slow and steady.

I always tried to restrict my walking to time or distance that didn't hurt beyond the initial stiffness.
 
15 minute walk, a few slopes, pain behind knee and anterolaterally.
 
That's a good walk at 6 weeks.
My suggestion, given the pain, it to try reducing the time to 8 - 10 minutes with that kind of focus (I used to set a timer for half the target time when leaving home, and when it buzzed, turn around and go home).
If there's no pain, see if you tolerate doing it twice a day.
See if you can increase the time by 3 minute increments every 3 - 4 days (it sounds like nothing, but an increase of 5 minutes is way too big a percentage jump from 8 or 10 minutes)
Once you tolerate longer walks, you may want to just do one walk a day.
 
I hadn’t intended to walk that far but we could not get a park nearby. I’m ok now. Sort of.
Went for lunch today. It was cold and I wore soft stretchy skinny jeans. Fortunately my scar didn’t object! I got there and grumpy woman ran up to me, demanding to know how I could get into jeans so soon after surgery. I smiled sweetly and said that’s what happens when you have the best surgeon in Australia.
“I bet you’re in pain” she said eagerly.
“Not at all, I’m fine” I replied and hobbled away to the more sociable end of the table where husband and I spent a lovely 2 hours catching up and planning a NZ holiday with a few of them for next year.
I must admit after two hours with my leg down I was glad to get home and ice. My knee is now telling me off for being smart and I’ve taken a heavy duty pain med! Still, it was worth it to see the look on Grumpy’s face. Of course she had to have the final word:
“You had difficulty standing up, didn’t you! That means something’s wrong…”
 
Wow. I’m sorry you have to deal with such a person and glad you have plenty of friends to make plans with. :console2:
And skinny jeans! At only 6 weeks! :wowspring:
 
Great report! You are doing so well.
It is great to get back to socialising even if we pay for it a bit later. Good idea to rest and ice afterwards.
 
Oh my goodness! Thanks for the first laugh of the day with the Debbie Downer lunch update.
She really wants to rain on your parade. :heehee: Sounds like you handled it well, kiwicurls.
Hope you have a lovely day!
@kiwicurls
 
My knee is now telling me off for being smart and I’ve taken a heavy duty pain med! Still, it was worth it to see the look on Grumpy’s face.
I know I shouldn't support overdoing things, but in this case all I can say is "Well Done!"
 
@mendogal , what do you think of Tai Chi Ch'uan? There's a course in our community college and it's supposed to improve balance and strengthen legs. I have done Tai Chi before but never heard of Ch'uan. How long do you think I should wait before doing something like this? Was thinking of starting in the winter; July?
If you haven't heard of this, don't worry. Just thought you'd be the one to ask.
 
All tai chi is properly called tai chi ch'uan! We just don't bother.

I have done tai chi for seven years, after my body could no longer do aikido.

In research, there are several modalities that improve balance as measured in physio labs. However, tai chi is the only thing demonstrated to reduce the incidence of falls among seniors. A study done in Australia!

So yes, it's highly recommended for general health, it does give the leg muscles a good workout, and it's the thing I recommend for balance.

As to when.... I started back when my newer knee was nine months old and was able to do the full hour class. Had I not been addressing other medical issues (cataracts and feet) I would have resumed at five or six months. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done the full hour at that point... but my right knee arthritis had always insisted that I take two seated rest breaks all the years I practiced previously!!!

I think July is realistic for you. Let the instructor know you may need to sit periodically to rest your legs. Maybe don't do any other major exercising that day.
 
@mendogal thank you. I might wait until the September intake as it will be spring. I’d prefer to be able to do the whole hour. Strange that in the college brochure they have it listed separately from plain old tai chi! I thought it must be something different. Maybe he’s going to concentrate on specific things?
My husband and I want to prevent falls as we age so it should be ideal. I always loved tai chi and it’s something anyone can do, regardless of fitness.
Winter is creeping up on us and I actually look forward to the cosier months as it never dips below 0 degrees here and averages out at 14.
Milestone today: I haven’t taken any analgesia since yesterday!
 
Forgot to say I do have foot issues now. I hope they won’t prevent my doing the course.
 
Week 6
I saw my surgeon this morning and he watched me walk without aids. I so wanted to do it but my knee buckled and wobbled in front of him. He agreed I wasn’t making progress as fast as last time and it might take another two months for the quads to get working properly. I said I do quad sets all day and he reassured me it was just a matter of time. He said not to do any more quad sets than I am doing because it will cause inflammation but to increase my pedalling gradually, up to 15 minutes a day. He recommended hydrotherapy but with my torn shoulder I cannot imagine getting myself out of a wet costume etc. I can’t even put my own bra on. He put the knee through its paces, said my straight leg raises were excellent as was my ROM and see him in 6 months.
I have to go for that Perth Protocol CT scan in 5 weeks, as before. I know nobody on Bonesmart seems to have heard if it but whatever it is, it’s routine for his patients.
I know it’s illogical and stupid but I feel so disappointed today. My husband,who was with me, says I am the only one disappointed and the surgeon was fine with my progress but I feel low. Can’t help it. Totally fed up with everything.
Rant over.
 
It sounds as though your surgeon is happy with your situation. He seems very sensible- not pushing you to overdo things.
He put the knee through its paces, said my straight leg raises were excellent as was my ROM and see him in 6 months.
That all sounds really OK. I haven't heard of a Perth Protocol CT- but presumably it is some special CT that allows for metal artefact. That should reassure you that the alignment is good. Your surgeon sounds really thorough and sensible
he reassured me it was just a matter of time. He said not to do any more quad sets than I am doing because it will cause inflammation but to increase my pedalling gradually,
 
Thanks @EalingGran . Yes, I remember now, the Perth Protocol CT checks alignment and is a predictor of future success/problems.
I think it’s just lack of a decent night’s sleep making me so down today. I just did a good workout on the pedals so should be able to get to 15 mins quickly. I know my quads are improving because when I put my fingers on each muscle group I can feel the response more markedly each day. It’s just that my last tkr was spectacularly quick in its recovery and I remember walking in at six weeks without even a limp. I know, stop comparing!
 
t’s just that my last tkr was spectacularly quick in its recovery and I remember walking in at six weeks without even a limp. I know, stop comparing!
Yep, every knee is different -- even two knees in the same person.

I think you are doing great!
 
You're by no means unusual having some gait instability at 6 weeks. Hang in there. You're objectively doing really well (I know some days it's "objectivity be ****ed, I'm disappointed and miserable!" - and it's fine to come here to vent!)
 
Tomorrow will be 7 weeks since tkr.
I managed a supermarket shop with husband this morning and can do 15 minutes at a time on the exercise pedals now. Still having gait instability but working on it. We are going away in 3 weeks’ time and I really don’t want to have to fit the walker in the car, along with the dog and suitcases. It’s just a relaxing week on the coast but so looking forward to it! We’ve stayed there before and it’s modern with high loo seats and all one level. The sofa is low but nothing a pile of pillows won’t fix!
My scar feels very tight when I bend the knee. I think it might be superficial nerves getting their mojo back! Massaging with vit E cream alternating with bio oil.
Another little milestone: I managed to bend both knees and dry my toes properly in the bathroom this morning instead of having to sit on the bed and do it.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom