Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kelpie's First New Knee

I'm really pleased with it Celle and today has been the best so far. Hey, it's 8pm here and I'm still smiling!

Thanks Referee. I'm rather proud of it now! :cool:
 
That looks great!
I was also extremely knock-kneed. I am still surprised sometimes when I look down and see my foot 4" closer to center than it used to be.
The second one will be straightened out on Monday...
The wonders of modern science!!
 
Hi Kate hope you are ok & improving. I went to physio today they were so nice, now I have some different exercises I think it will help me improve my flexion & extension. I am feeling more confident & able to do things myself now. I think we are both past the difficult stage now, onwards & upwards......take care x
 
Hi Sue, same chair, different day. I'm fine but bored to tears with the process now. I'm still improving but it's because I'm doing almost nothing now. I go through my PT stretches once or twice a day if I can bothered. It's enough as my ROM continues to improve (as predicted by the Bonesmart mantras!). I'm planning a phased return to work at 6 weeks. I work from home in any case so it's not big deal provided I can hold the laptop comfortably. I'm getting nothing but positive support from my manager so I know I'll be fine. I'll be glad when I've got something to do as the isolation and boredom are just yucky.

I'm pleased to hear your physio is nice and you're doing well.
 
Hi Kate, I am so with you being bored etc....it's just not in our nature to sit around is it?? Just a suggestion would you & Al like to get out one afternoon & come over to mine for an hour, it would be good to catch up & have a general natter take our minds off this awful boring time before we return to work. Mike will be here so Al would have someone to chat to. I'll leave it to you just give Mike a ring ( Al has our card ) ?? Keep your pecker up Knee sister :friends:
 
Hi Sue, that's really kind of you but I've decided to lay low for a few weeks yet. We went out for just half an hour yesterday and I really paid the price last night. I'm back in the ODIC and wondering if I'll ever get the balance right! No long term harm done but a good night's sleep was lost.

On a good note generally, pain and swelling were continuing to decrease and my ROM is promising. I just have to learn that feeling better at home doesn't give me licence to stretch my limits even by a teensy weeny bit!
 
Hi Kate, I really understand, I knocked my leg on a table yesterday & now it is all swollen up again! So on the ice, elevate again. On the good side I am only taking paracetamol twice a day now. You take care & rest & don't rush back to work if you are not ready to? Speak soon xx
 
Well I've shut myself down for a couple of days, spent a lot of time lying in bed reading with my leg elevated and generally doing very little. It's really paid off and my knee is well settled and I've had some much needed rest and deep sleep. I've even been able to comfortably miss out my lunchtime dose of painkillers today for the first time! I'm now able to walk up stairs consecutively (I limit it to a couple at a time) and also downstairs with extreme caution and hanging onto the bannister! It means my old knee is now taking a little less strain each day which is a relief. I hopped in and out of the bath to get a shower today, and not using the bath bench without even realising it so I'm definitely getting there. I have however, given up any hope of Christmas shopping. Thank heavens for Amazon!

On a minor downside, my scar has become raised, itchy and tender at the top end and Mr Google suggests it's hypertrophic. Seeing the doc next week to review my meds anyway so I'll discuss with him then. There seems to be mixed advice on treatment ie massage/don't massage etc. I'm not too worried, I have knobbly knees anyway and a slightly raised scar isn't going to make a whole pile of difference to my lovely legs!
 
You can ask the doc, but I know my scars (both knees) looked raised on the top end for a while but gradually flattened out.
Wishing you more good :sleeep:
 
Thanks Kneeper. It's good to know this isn't unusual.
 
Kate I hope your scar has settled down & you are feeling much better now. Have you got a date to go back to work yet. Looks like I can do a phased in few hours per day per week between xmas & New Year that's a quiet time for me anyway or do this starting in the New Year. You take care keep up the good work
 
Well here I am nearly at the 6 week mark (tomorrow). I hope when I read all this back before my next TKR next year, it'll help me out a bit. The worst is definitely over and now I'm settling in for the long haul, trying to be patient and recognising the tiny improvements that each new day brings. My ROM is around 110 & 0 (I think). Swelling is going down very slowly and confined to just my knee. I can manage stairs sequentially going up gently and coming down very carefully with a lot of support from the stair rails. The knee feels really strong and stable although it's still pretty "clunky" at times. My 6 week check with the OS is tomorrow so I'm interested to see if he's happy with his craftsmanship.

I can potter around the house and take short walks outside with no ill effect. I still suffer from extreme fatigue and brain fade if I do too much but I know that's normal at this stage too. I'm returning to work (from home) on the 21st and my caring boss is happy for me to go part time and choose my own pace until I'm ready.

On Friday my husband and I (at my insistence) went to the local supermarket very early, for the first time since the op, to get the turkey (frozen for convenience this year) and some other festive bits and pieces. It was a bit overwhelming but it took it very steady and was home within an hour. Lots of rest needed in the afternoon but no harm done. I feel much happier knowing that some of the food has been bought! I tried to do some online present shopping in the afternoon but failed due to brain fade.

On Saturday we both went to the Gait Smart analysis session and I was really chuffed to meet @Ellejay and @copsham . It was a really useful session and my results looked good, all things considered! As usual though, I found that walking "normally" for the test really takes its toll on the knee who much prefers to limp so there was a bit of pain to contend with later that evening. I did manage to blitz some online shopping though. Thank goodness!

We got the tree up yesterday! I managed to hang up a few decorations and didn't get too frustrated when the time came for me to give up. The boxes are still pretty full so I'll give that another half hour later today. I need rest today though as we have a 3 hour round trip to the OS tomorrow and I'm going all out to impress! :spin:
 
So glad you are doing well Kate. If we weren't going away I was going to go to the Gait smart analysis, do you think they may have another one sometime? Thinking of you today on your journey to Reading hope all goes well.:happydance:
 
It's tomorrow Sue. I wrote my last post this morning. Are you seeing your OS this week too?
 
Have physio every Wednesday before seeing surgeon on 19th January! I think he must be on holiday from next week. Going to go to work one or two days next week for a couple of hours to see how I will be able to work at my desk!!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom