Guest viewing is limited

THR Kelly's Recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a long day yesterday. My home health nurse and also the physical therapist came out yesterday and said this amount of swelling I have is abnormal so they had me go to my surgeon. He felt the same way that there was too much fluid buildup and they are quite concerned that I may end up getting an infection in that fluid if it doesn't dissipate. I also have two quite large hematoma is under my skin that are hard but they're not concerned about those it's mostly the fluid that's building up it's kind of in my lower back to the right above my hip.. quite concerned about how to get rid of the swelling they said there's not much we can do
 
Wait and see if it goes down on its own. If my temp is over 100.4 i have to go in immediatly if it doesnt go down on its own they have to go in and drain it and clean out the infection. Ugh i am in tears right now i am doing so good other than that.

TRHR May 20th 2016
 
I am just at a loss. The hardness is just not going away. Dr said if the fluid buildup does not go away they may need to go back in. @Josephine have you had experience with this? They are making me take my temp a few times throughout the day if it gets to 100.4, I will need to be seen asap. They are concerned the fluid build up will turn into infection.
 
@net0girl - hello! I had my THR 3 days before yours. I'm just now "meeting" you and reading your thread. Some days I don't get online at all, and other days I binge surf for hours, often here on this site.

I haven't had this problem with fluid you are experiencing. Unfortunately, I don't know very much about it. But I know you are uncomfortable and scared, so I wanted to at least tell you you aren't alone and to send you a virtual hug. (((((Big Bear Hug)))))

I am praying for you and hoping the medical professionals can find a non-surgical method to reduce the fluid. Goodbye, fluid, and no, infection, you are not welcome here! Don't even think about it!

Hang in there @net0girl and keep us posted!
:console2:
 
They should go in and clear it out anyway, in my opinion. It's likely that hard lump is a collection of organised blood which, as they've said, can be a bit of a risk for infection. But if you get away with that, you will very likely have that hard lump long term anyway, though hopefully not painful.

Actually, I think what's happened is that you had, or still have, a very small blood vessel leaking deep inside the wound. And yes, I have seen such cases a number of times during my career.

To explain this more: usually during the surgery, the surgeon will carefully check all the exposed muscles and other tissues for these oozing vessels - 'little bleeders' as we call them which is correct in both senses of the term! Sometimes they are very tiny, smaller than a noodle. He may well have sealed it with diathermy (a kind of cautery) or it may have sealed naturally by the normal clotting process. But after the op, as you woke up and your blood pressure returned to normal, that clot could have been dislodged so the vessel started oozing again. Once a collection of blood gets to be 2-3 days old it becomes 'organised' or clotted just as it would if it was left in a bowl and may even get to look a little like liver! With small clots, the body can absorb them with no problem but the bigger they get, the harder it is for the body to deal with and so a open 'clearing out' is required and also to check that the 'little bleeder' is not still leaking. But once it is cleared out and stitched up again, it should heal pretty readily.

It's a real risk that the clot itself can host bugs which just love that environment but it's about a 20% risk only, I'd say.

I hope all this isn't too much information for you but I think it helps to know what's going on.
 
Thank you so much @Josephine. I have two lumps that have pain. Then the area i am concerned with the most is a larger area that is super hard. That is where they think the fluid has built up. Luckily its not getting bigger but its not getting smaller. Until they see me the heating pad seems to help pain rather than ice. Is heat on this ok?
 
Sommers16, Thank you !! How is your recovery going?

TRHR May 20th 2016
 
@net0girl- Thank you for asking. I am doing fine. I have been having some muscle tightness and tenderness in my operated leg's calf muscle. I don't know what that's about, but I can't seem to make it go away. As I am typing, I am icing and doing the ankle pumps exercise.

I am thinking about you too! Please keep us posted on your recovery. When can they see you? Thank you @Josephine for your expertise. Hang in there, @net0girl.
 
I am so thankful for this site!!!! My appt is via phone on thursdsy but i might messsge my surgeon tomorrow
 
@net0girl- Thank you for asking. I am doing fine. I have been having some muscle tightness and tenderness in my operated leg's calf muscle. I don't know what that's about, but I can't seem to make it go away. As I am typing, I am icing and doing the ankle pumps exercise.

I am thinking about you too! Please keep us posted on your recovery. When can they see you? Thank you @Josephine for your expertise. Hang in there, @net0girl.
I hope your pain goes away is it in your calf or your shin?

TRHR May 20th 2016
 
@net0girl - thank you for asking. It is in the calf- in the back- below the knee. PT isn't sure the cause, but says it could be tender and pulling because I am beginning to walk correctly on it (when I had not been for years). If that's true, I think that's wild.

More importantly, however, how are YOU? When do you get your next evaluation - is it still Thursday? Thinking of you!
 
I bet that is exactly what it is! Yes still on for thursday!!!

TRHR May 20th 2016
 
Catching up on your thread.....what has happened with your swelling? Did you need a procedure? Hope you are doing better!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Hello. No procedure yet. Swelling is still there but seems to slowly be going down. I am hooing it willkeep going diwn. Thanks for checking on me

TRHR May 20th 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom