Guest viewing is limited

THR Kelly's Recovery<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hang in there! Be religious with your pain meds, I know that made all the difference for me last time.


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Hello everyone I am 1 week post-op for a total right hip replacement. My right hip looks like it's two times bigger than it was before it almost looks like it has spread LOL. I'm trying to elevate my feet however I get really bad pain behind my knees when I elevate even if I put a pillow behind my knees. I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions on how they elevate their legs.
 
Icing around the clock will be your best bet. I did not do well sitting or lying and elevating, and I had the same discomfort behind the knee. It takes a long time for the soft tissue swelling to go down. best wishes on you recovery journey!
 
Thank you wcgirl! I do ice almost all night . the pain behind my knee drives me nuts

TRHR May 20th 2016
 
Elevate and Ice. When I elevate I place a pillow under my knee and another under my foot. Icing all night is difficult because the ice tends to not last more than about 30 min at a time so -- Ice all during the day. Like 10-15 min icing and elevating and 10-15 not and another 10-15 min icing etc. As often as you can. I had/have three ice packs constantly in rotation. When one is on, the other is in the freezer. One week post op and we do see lots of swelling. With my RTHR in January, I had lots of pain and swelling around my knee. My knee was also where all my bruising was located. I know they "maneuvered my leg in all sorts of positions when installing the hip prosthetic and my knee took a real beating. It may be sore simply from the angles it took during the hip installation. One reason I put a pillow under my foot along with under my knee was that if I only had a pillow under the knee, my ankle would swell. Ice was my "addiction". :wink: Also, my OS prescribed Mobic/Meloxicam for inflamation and I was to take it for six weeks. I'm sure one of the admin's will be along soon and will have some great advice for you. They have seen it all before. Welcome to healing and getting your life back @net0girl. --julie:cheers:
 
Are you icing the pain behind your knee? I don't elevate much because the ice alone seems to control any swelling but I have had a real tightness in the backs of my knees and I found sticking an icepack under the knee helped.
 
@net0girl You may have noticed that I merged your thread about swelling into your existing recovery thread. Please keep all your questions and posts about your recovery here so that we have a record of your history in one place and can better advise you. Thanks!
 
Goodmorning! Well i am 12 days out from my surgery. Right hip relacement posterior method. I have 2 really hard spots of swelling still. They are painful when i am sitting or laying. Ugh. I have been icing non stop. My neighbor suggested a heating pad has anyone tried that?
 
My neighbor suggested a heating pad has anyone tried that?
Not recommended at this stage @net0girl ! Heat on a new wound isn't suggested. Ice will reduce swelling - just keep at it around the clock if you can.
 
@Jaycey thank you! That is exactly what i was thinking. They feel like baseballs! I will continue icing.

TRHR May 20th 2016
 
Some new hippies describe this feeling like "sitting on a rock". It's just the after effects of all the trauma. Ice is your friend. :ice: Should ease soon.
 
Thank you so much that us exactly how it feels like sitting on a rock! Icing was scaring me because i kept thinking i would get like frostbite!
 
Hello again! I see you are progressing in your recovery. I am taking OxyCodon at 5 to 15 mgs every three hours. Most of the time I take two pills (10mgs) and that keeps my pain level to a 3. I am 6 days out from surgery two now and still have the entire incision area swollen and hard. Hope your "rocks" are slowly abating!


RTHR 1/15/2016. Posterior approach. Due to AVN. LTHR on May 26, 2016.
 
Thanks! Yes doing well. The only issue i really have are these 2 baseball size lumps! Driving me nuts. Hard to sit or lie diwn because it feels like i am sitting on something! I am doing ice almost non stop. They decreased my oxycodone to one or two 10mg tabs every six hours seems to be fine for pain.

TRHR May 20th 2016
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom