MUA Keep on plodding on

I’m really getting fed up now as I (stupidly) thought that I would see/feel small increments on an almost daily basis …wrong.
I found it best to reflect back, once a week only. Pick a day of the week, any day, and on that day only look back at the progress you made. Keep a journal if you want a record of your progress to glance at when you're feeling stuck.

I should have had my 1st physio appointment on Monday…it got cancelled I was then told another appt had been made but that wasn’t until 17th November. I was so upset as I really need some assurance as to how I’m doing.
This is okay. Your leg endured major trauma, in a very small area, albeit controlled. Your muscles, tendons, ligaments and other soft tissue is going to cause you discomfort and pain for a while yet. While your range of motion is currently limited, it will naturally increase as the swelling subsides and the pain eases. Give it time.
While in Physio, please refrain from engaging in movement that causes discomfort or pain. Do not allow anyone to forcefully manipulate your leg. Take it slow and easy. If anything hurts, STOP.

The Activity Progression article -> Activity progression for TKRs is an example of what you may be comfortable doing for the first several weeks. It is a rough gauge, not a test. Some will excel, some will lag behind, both are okay. Try not to put undue pressure on yourself. Each recovery is unique to the individual and your body will heal at its own rate.

Wishing you a good physio session and lots of comfort as you continue healing. Happy Wednesday, Mutley!
 
Happy Friday everyone!
I thought I’d give you a little update after my last post. I ‘finally’ saw a physio yesterday exactly 4 weeks after my LTKR. What a lovely guy He was kind, gentle, sympathetic but positive about what we could do going forward. As thought my ROM was at 70 so I think when discharged the knee was probably around 60. The quad is very weak. And just like Layla mentioned above my priority is to get the swelling down & NOT walking off down the road or round the supermarket like I’ve been doing ☹️ I’ve got 3 simple exercises to do rather than a book full which isn’t getting me anywhere & more focus on the icing & elevating & stimulating the quad muscle. He didn’t think my walking was too bad for the 4 week mark & I only took 1 crutch with me as it was peeing down with rain! He’s taken measurements of both knees so we can see if the swelling has come down when I see him again in 2 weeks. He also mentioned hydrotherapy & a more specialised gym at a hospital nearer to me if my knee still needs a ‘gentle talking too’! So although I was disappointed I was also so relieved at just being seen & that it’s not all gloom & doom & yes there are ‘sprinters’ in this recovery game & then there is ME
So Bonesmart are right in their philosophy of slow & steady…it’s just taken me a while to realise that…❤️
 
The good part is YOU ARE realizing the slow / steady approach works well. I'm happy to read you found a gentle therapist, kind, sympathetic and positive, sounds wonderful! You'll be one month post op tomorrow, so one day early I am wishing you a Happy One Month Anniversary! A great weekend to you. :wave:
@Mutley
 
Good Monday morning everyone!
Ok, just another little update. I will be 7 weeks this coming Thursday…feels so much longer ☹️ Went for my physio appointment last week to find that I had only managed to get to 80 degrees. My problem is still this:
I can get out of bed & do some exercises, if I’m lucky I can even do a few backward rotations on my bike but still having to put a cushion on the seat of the bike. But despite then icing or elevating my knee then doesn’t want to do any more so even walking round the house means limping/dragging a log behind me. I just wish that even if the ROM is low at least let me potter about or take a little walk outside without feeling like I’ve literally just had surgery The knee doesn’t look particularly swollen, just stiff & it’s driving me NUTS I have managed to get a session of 6 appointments at the hospital gym starting Wednesday which I’m hugely grateful for. I also see the surgeon Wednesday morning & know he’s not going to be happy Both the physio & myself thinks it is scar tissue stopping any progression as this happened with my right knee. I’m just not sure where my focus should be right now? Just ‘keep doing what I’m doing’? Can’t even take the dog out for a walk ☹️ Any ideas why this knee doesn’t want to work after doing just gentle exercising 1st thing? Anything else I can try?
 
@Mutley I see in your signature that you had MUA after your first TKR. Did that work for you? Your surgeon may suggest this route again. Some of our members have great success post MUA.
 
Unfortunately it didn't Due to a series of 'errors' by the hospital staff I was in more pain than the original TKR. Went home with a massively swollen knee & basically didn't gain anymore ROM. Bizarrely when I saw the physio last week I asked him to measure the right knee & was stunned to find it was 110! Over the last 11 years it's gone from 90 to 110 just by continuing everyday life
This is also why I'm VERY WARY of having to have an MUA but times change & maybe this is the route I may have to take...
 
without feeling like I’ve literally just had surgery
But, you are almost just out of the surgery at only 6 weeks out. You are barely 1/12 of the way through this year-long recovery. Try to be patient and let your knee heal at its own rate. You found out with your first knee that forcing it has a negative effect on it. This new knee is probably the same way and less activity will probably mean more bend. It is just a time-thing!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Mutley!
I hope you're doing well. Any improvement since last time you posted?
Let us know when you have time.
I hope you have a nice week and holiday season!
@Mutley
 
Good morning Layla!
I’m doing much better now thank you! I had an MUA last Thursday exactly 8 weeks PO. Knee was stuck at 80 & driving me nuts Surgeon managed to get 110-120 during the procedure. Thick scar tissue & had had a bleed on the knee. ‍He arranged to keep me in overnight so I could stay on the CPM to help keep the knee moving. When the physio came round in the morning & measured my ROM on a sliding board doing a heel slide it was only 95 ☹️ I was a bit disappointed but have to say I’m working hard & can definitely get my knee further back under the chair. Walking is 99% better with no limp & can walk properly up & down the stairs I just need to build up my muscles & stamina now but things are looking much better
 
Hi @Mutley! I've updated your signature to include your recent MUA.

Would you like to change your title thread to something not dated that better reflects your recovery in process?
 
Hello Mutley,
It's been a month now since the MUA. I hope you continue to do well and enjoy steady progress.
Best Wishes for a Merry Christmas and continued healing in the New Year!
:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon:
@Mutley
 
Good morning & a very Merry Christmas to you too!
11 weeks PO today & 3 weeks today since the MUA. So glad I had it done. I've managed to maintain my 110 ROM which I'm more than happy with What I'm struggling with is the stamina side. I've just walked the dog which felt great & then the upper part of the knee & thigh starts getting tired. Currently icing. I know it's still very early days but going back to work after Christmas & just a little concerned that my knee won't cope with my 'before' TKR routine...walk the dog, drive to where I park my car, 10 minute walk to place of work, couple of hours of on your feet & fast paced physical work then walk back to car, drive home & take the dog out again I have a meeting with my managers to discuss a phased return to work so that might ease the pressure a bit
Currently dealing with a horrible bout of COVID which isn't helping much but things start feeling better
You can change my title to 'Keep on plodding on" as that sums up how I'm feeling at the moment
 
I think you definitively need to push for a phased return. That sounds like a lot! And the COVID is draining more of your energy. With my first TKR I started working after 3 weeks which was a huge mistake. I wasn’t ready and that was just going upstairs to work from home on my computer! I needed to stop frequently for ice and elevation. Hope you can work something out that gives you more recovery time.
 
Last edited:
I changed your title for you.

Fighting covid at the same time as healing from a TKR is certainly draining. I'm surprised you are doing as well as you are!
 
I hope you're soon on the mend from covid, and that you can ease back into work!
 
Oh No! I am so sorry you're dealing with Covid, Mutley, as you're healing from the TKR and MUA.
I do hope you're able to arrange a Phased Return to Work since your work day sounds a bit ambitious to jump back into full time. You'll have to update us after you're back at work for a time and let us know how it's going.
A great rest of the week to you!
@Mutley
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Three months already with the new knee. Time flies! I hope you're feeling much better now after your bout with Covid. Let us know if you're back to work and if so, how it's going. Many blessings to you in this New Year!
@Mutley
 
Thanks Layla My recovery still seems to be frustrating 13 weeks PO. Luckily I’ve still been having physio & hydrotherapy sessions. My quads decided to ‘stop firing’ & it’s certainly hard work trying to get them to engage again ☹️ I keep going on about ‘stamina’ as this is the only way I can describe how my new knee does or ‘doesn’t’ work. So if I walk the dog my knee doesn’t want to do anymore. If I have a ‘good’ physio session my knee lets me know (and lets me down ☹️) the next day. Raked up some leaves this morning ( We actually had some sunshine & no rain here in the UK!) It wasn’t overly strenuous on my knee but no, currently icing & elevating It’s not pain, rather a very uncomfortable ache anywhere from my thigh to my ankle. I have my official ‘Back to work’ meeting on Monday. First with the occupational therapy people via telephone then with my headmaster at school. My head says it’s ready but my knee says it’s not. ‍I guess we all have to go back at some point & I’m sure I’ll get back into the routine…eventually
Think I’ll buy a lottery ticket tonight….
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mutley, I am sorry you're frustrated. Recovery is sometimes challenging, really testing us.
Do keep in mind that MUA can set you back. As difficult as it is, you'll need more time to heal. Slowly strengthening your muscles while healing should help with the feeling of weakness and fatigue that you described above. I do hope you're able to take all of the time you need before your return to work so you're feeling strong and confident as you ease back into your schedule.
All the best to you! Thanks for the update. :)
@Mutley
 
It's so frustrating to feel you're doing everything "right" and still slogging....

I want to echo what Layla said: the MUA didn't involve cutting, but it certainly was traumatic to soft tissue. Hard as it is to wrap your head (and heart) around it, consider that your knee may "think" that Nov 20th was its surgery date.

Sending a ((hug)) and hopes you soon get through this temporary setback.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom