TKR Kayak59's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 0 again. Knee hurts more than last time but tolerable. I am pretty groggy but my sister says I'm better than day 0 the first time. Hmmm. Maybe what I remember as surgery day was actually the 2nd. Starting to cough so getting treated pre-emptively with antibiotics and Mucenex to prevent fluid buildup in lungs like the first time. Doc said the knee cap was almost completely worn away. I am also itching all over this time and getting Benedryl for that. Also getting prenatal vitamins. No PT because too tired. All in all okay


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad you made it safely through your surgery. I wish you a quiet night and a speedy recovery!
 
Great news! I hope you can get some rest tonight. Tomorrow will be here before you know it and you will be trying out new knee #2! Itching is the worst! My itching was mostly on my chest and stomach. A cool washcloth rubbed on the itchy places feels good - it seemed to disrupt the itch cycle.
 
Glad to hear everything went well and recovery is underway.
 
I'm impressed second knee done and recovery on it's way. Hope everything goes well.
 
Day 2 post-op. Detached from everything. BP going down again so off all narcotics and switching to Tramadol. Knee is not too swollen (yet). Got several good house of sleep until pain woke me up through night. Chest is getting a little tight but hopefully that is it. Maybe this overall experience will be better. Thanks to all the well wishers.
 
I hope your blood pressure gets stabilized and the Tramadol does its job! Here's to a day of gentle PT, pain controlled, and good restful naps!
 
I'm glad your second knee is done now and you're in recovery mode again.

You have all the recovery reading articles earlier in your thread, but I'll remind you again of the BoneSmart mantras:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist (PT) - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lie down!

Best wishes! :flwrysmile:
 
Hey there! Just caught up on your thread. Glad to hear your second surgery went well. I hope the chest thing is nothing... I had a similar low BP issue after my hip surgery and also had to stay an extra day because of it. Didn't have that with the knee, but had nausea. Tradeoffs, I suppose. I hope you are getting lots of rest, and your recovery goes well!
 
This is proving to be a rough day. Pain is really severe and can barely do any PT or walk. non-narcotic pain meds barely work but hopefully pain will be less tomorrow. All the medical staff & PT supportive and not pushing me. Can't compare this to first one because I was still on IV Morphine at this time. Dr said knee was way worse than right. Underside of patella almost gone and slid to side. The femur end was actually worn down by patella. He didn't know how I walked because there was no support after 30° bend. So glad both knees are done! hopefully pain will lessen and left knee will progress as fast as right.
 
Keep on at them until they get your pain control sorted out.
 
The first week is the worst. Did they take you off the narcotics earlier because of your previous BP issue? I hope you can get some relief!
 
End of Day 2 and it was so much better than yesterday. that was my day from hell . Apparently the shot they gave me in the stomach for blood clotting caused the swelling and it took them over 3 hours to get authorization from the on call doc and I was in agony the whole time. Finally they put me back on Norco and that controlled the pain. Its actually day 3 now and I am looking forward to going home after PT The knee is still very painful but i'll finally be back with my kitty cats and my own bed. Will not go back to work until the Ne Year.
 
I hope you're home now, and settled in to your cosy nest with your kitties. :kitty: :kittykiss:

If you can, take longer that the New Year before you even think about going back to work. Having two major surgeries so close together is really going to do a number on your reserves of energy.
 
Our four legged friends are some of the best help with recovery. Hopefully you are all snuggled in your bed by now.
 
:loveshwr:Hopefully you are over the hell hump, you are such a brave person for having those both done so close together, but recovery is on the way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom