Guest viewing is limited

THR Kayak59's Left SuperPath Hip Replacement Recovery

My hat's off to everyone who did bilateral THRs and @bones218 as far as I'm concerned, you fall in the same category. I did my knees four weeks apart but just can't imagine doing both hips. Of course, if both were in the same shape as my knees at the same time, I probably would. Just so glad I don't have to!

So.... any cyclists reading this? How soon were you on a bike? Indoor and regular outdoor?
 
Hi @kayak59, I had bilateral hip replacements. I was back on my bike fairly quickly. I can't remember how long it took. I tried the stationary bike after four weeks at the gym. I just did ten mins. but it was too much for me. It's on my thread somewhere. Now I am riding the bike every morning. I go all over town and love it. I'm sure you will, too. It just takes time. It's amazing how good you feel once you have healed.
 
Day 6. Off the Oxycodone and just using Tylenol as needed to supplement what I already take for the normal arthritis pain. Pins and needles almost constant and I realized my upper leg was really swollen. Didn't really notice it at first because I guess there is just so much more room to expand :umm: Its more mushy compared to the tightness from the knee replacement swelling. Bruising is getting very colorful. Trying to be better at using the ice. Walked to the top of the road and back again. Not a lot of pain as long as I keep the leg directly underneath me. Hope it stays that way.
 
How soon were you on a bike? Indoor and regular outdoor?
I was released to ride a stationary bike (no resistance for 3 months post op) at my 6 week followup appointment.

Do try and ice that swelling - elevate as well. You are doing great!
 
Hard to believe its only been 6 days. Tomorrow is my one week anniversary. I can see that impatience and frustration is going to be my biggest problem. Itching to get out ON the water with my friends but I'll settle for the incision healing so I can at least get in the pool. Although.... asking my paddling friends if they know someone with rafts.... :-) Walked .35 miles today. As long as I use my walker for some weight bearing (as little as possible and trying to keep my body erect) and don't abduct the leg, its not too bad. Abduction PT exercises still the hardest but I'm doing them! Looking forward to being released to drive -- not sure when that will happen.
 
Looking forward to being released to drive -- not sure when that will happen.
Usually happens at your follow-up appointment - assuming you are totally off any meds what might impact your ability to drive.
 
Hmmm, that could be Thursday then. Yay! I am off my Oxycodone.... hopefully for good. I am getting home health care and I actually read some of the handouts. It says while I am on home health, I have to stay "homebound" and that means no driving and only essential drives by other people to places like doctors! Granted, I didn't exactly see that after my knee replacements and I was driving as soon as I could -- very short distances as that was all I could tolerate. Maybe going out to PT would help alleviate some of my restlessness.
 
It sounds like you are doing great!
 
It sounds like you're doing really well. I too suffer from a lot of restlessness, so I get it. It's especially true as I feel like my brain is coming alive a little bit, and the body can do more, but I still get tired and need a lot of rest.

It's hard for me to rest when I need to, and the isolation while husband is at work is a bit mind numbing.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Mojo2013 You are so right about the brain fog! Its so hard to get myself motivated and I know there are so many free videos that I could be watching and learning for both work and pleasure/hobbies. I think it is an aftereffect of the anesthesia and overall operation. As I get more active, so does my brain. But then when I finally get back to "normal"; I have no time to watch all these videos!

I am going to try to get into a routine where I get up at a set time -- reasonably early -- and then I am going to set times and "schedule" some of these videos. I will try to do at least one for work/professional growth (working on a certification) and something like an instructional photography video. (Got a fancy new camera and there are a lot of free How Tos out there on it.) I am also submitting an application to be a "Kitten Cuddler" at a local Animal Shelter. Baby time is here and they need volunteers to get the babies out of their sterile cages and give them love and socialization so they are ready for adoption. In between, I'll watch some eye candy on the telly. (And I'm perusing the hip pre-op and the knee forums, offering encouragement when I can.)

I definitely did overdo the exercise yesterday and oh, I paid for it last night. PT was here today and she was very pleased with my progress. I finally got to see the incision and its only 4 inches long! Better looking than my knees were! Went for a short walk with the PT and I'll probably go get the mail this afternoon. That might be my last outside exercise for a couple days to due rainy weather in the forecast. And groan.... cold damp does make everything ache more.
 
Day 8. I hope I didn't cause myself any problems. I have really sensitive skin and can't tolerate most adhesives. I can get dermatitis from almost anything green and need aggressive treatment every time I get poison ivy.

Every time I have had an operation, I end up with rashes from the EKG pads. (Probably all related to the psoriatic part of the arthritis.) Well, my area around my incision has been itching like crazy for the last 4-5 days. I have a rash from under my breast to the end of the incision. The bandage was supposed to be changed yesterday so I pulled it off yesterday morning. Ah.... relief for a couple hours.

Then the PT put another bandage back on that she said was like saran wrap and people with sensitive skin could tolerate it. She also said when I saw the doctor (tomorrow); he would probably recommend no bandage. The itching started up almost immediately again and I put moisturizing cortisone cream on the rash and all around the bandage and used iced to try to reduce it. I had trouble getting to sleep because of the itching and sometime in the middle of the night, I pulled off the bandage. It was like glue. In doing so I opened the small inch incision a bit.

The glue (?) over the actual incision is gone. I put a thick coat of Neosporin over the whole area and a clean piece of paper towel over that, held in place by my underpants. Today the incision seems to hurt a bit -- and it does seem to be surface pain, but the rash has definitely calmed down and the itching is minimal -- still using the moisturizing cortisone cream on that. I'm not worried about the smaller incision but am checking both frequently.

So far the larger incision seems to be securely closed. I was wondering about using liquid skin on it but unless something happens, will just be very careful until I see the doctor again. I had something similar to this happen before when I had a large cyst removed off my shoulder. I just could not tolerate any bandages. I was thinking about putting a strip of narrow dressing over the incision and using just enough paper tape in perpendicular strips to keep it on. The incision is only 4 inches long and I could probably get away with two pieces of tape and move them around to minimize skin irritation. What do you think? @Josephine , your advice please?

I've been reading other threads where the wound gaped open to the bone (eek!) and about infections but I know there are stitches under the skin. Getting a bit nervous though.

Not sure what I can do but I am seeing the doctor tomorrow and I'll go to an urgent care if I see any bad gaping. I had some itchiness from the bandages on my knees but they actually became unstuck in a lot of places so while they provided protection for incision, it wasn't airtight. I actually had to keep sticking the bandage back down so probably most areas of the skin got relief at different points.

Other than that, the pain is okay. I'm also a bit nervous from reading other accounts of having pain later on in the healing process, but after going through the knees, I know that is kinda normal. And with all my problems, something is always hurting so as long as it doesn't stop me from doing things, I can handle it.
 
Oh dear, you do have a bad case of sensitivity. Many surgeons would not have used any dressings but just sprayed the wound with plastic skin. It's more than adequate for 98% of surgical wounds. I've worked with surgeons who don't use any form of dressing other than plastic skin (Opsite, Nobecutane and such) and never have a problem.

The skin actually seals (not heals) within about 24hrs so isn't so much of a problem as might be thought. Healing: how long does it take? I would imagine that by 9 days out, your wound will be perfectly safe to just leave alone. All that skin weeping and seeping will be much more of a problem than leaving it alone.
 
Thank you Josephine! I think I was just freaked out by some of the stories I read. I'm keeping the Neosporin on it and the skin is looking a little better now.
 
Way to go Kayak59! Glad to hear you are home and PT was gentle.:-) Did you have a posterior or anterior approach?
 
Hi @Pheebs52 and thanks! I had a SuperPath which falls under the Minimally Invasive type and its on the side of my hip. I'm not sure if all minimally invasive are on the side or what. It is only four inches long. I am not sure this link will work but if not -- and of course -- if you want to see it -- its the second picture from the bottom under the Hippie Scars. https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads...it-chat-here-please.2457/page-27#post-1019662

I am having a pretty easy time of it compared to some people but I know I could still have problems down the line including post-op blues which I am experiencing now. Sigh...... If the weather allows -- although it probably won't -- there is a paddling event on Saturday and I'm going to go. Then I'll beg my friends to get me on the water in something somehow. I need to be on the water.
 
Hi Kayak, I just saw your hip and was amazed at how well it looked! Of course, I have a jaundiced eye having had the posterior approach 5 years ago with a 10 inch scar; hah! I guess your surgery would be considered *lateral* and the incision certainly is fairly small; all good things.:-)

Do you have any restrictions? How is your walking? Mine was duck-style/tin-man for several months but it became fairly *normal* at around 5 months and that's when I was able to ditch the cane.

I hope you are able to attend your Saturday event but personally wouldn't chance getting on the water.
 
Hi @Pheebs52 I saw the doctor today and he cleared me to drive and get in the pool! Yay! Post-op blues gone! Its only Day 9 and I am surprised -- not so much about the driving, but that I can get in the pool already. I also found an PT place that offers water therapy so I am going to try that. I am still using the walker but I think I'll graduate to a cane soon. Last night and today was actually the most painful the hip has been -- but not enough for me to take Oxycodone. The swelling is really going down and so the "self-splinting" effect decreasing, allowing for more movement and thus pain. But, still, when I use the walker, I move completely naturally and pretty fast. And I've actually taken a few shuffling steps across the kitchen without it. As much as I hate it, with all my back and right SI problems, the walker or Rollator keeps me balanced so its the best option for now. And no, I have absolutely no restrictions in terms of ROM. The doctor did not say how long I needed to use the walker and then the cane -- thinks its totally up to me.
 
It sounds like you are progressing well. You will be able to ditch the walker soon enough so just be patient.
 
@GrannyC Ah patience...... the most difficult part of this recovery -- especially as its Spring. Sigh..... But being able to get out and get in the pool will make SUCH a difference! Thank you!:swim:
 
Kayak59, wow, what wonderful news about the pool and driving! I know you're thrilled and I'm delighted for you! It's really amazing to me just how far the medical community has come with these mini-hip procedures; hurrah!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom