Guest viewing is limited

TKR katty’s recovery

I do not have the sit around and do nothing gene.
We never tell members to “sit around and do nothing“ literally or figuratively.

What we do tell members is to take things slow and easy in the early days and not to consider this as doing nothing, but as giving your knee the best opportunity in which to heal.
 
my knee really blew up overnight.
That's your knee telling you that you are doing way too much for so early in recovery.


I do not have the sit around and do nothing gene.
Icing and elevating your knee is not sitting around and doing nothing. It is promoting healing. Your body has been through a lot of trauma. Please give it time to recovery.
 
Last edited:
We women are preprogrammed to work and take care of the things that need doing. Now, is the time to let someone else do that work for the next month or so. Your #1 job is is heal! That takes work for your body to do on its own. The less you push your knee, the better work your knee can do to heal itself.
 
Hi katty!
I hope after a day of rest and icing you're feeling better. I am sorry you landed in the ODIC.
Check out the article below from the Recovery Guidelines, if you haven't already read it. It is a rough gauge, some excel a bit and some lag behind, but it will likely keep you on a steady path in these early weeks as you slowly regain strength and stamina. Recovering from the controlled trauma sustained through this major surgery takes time unfortunately, so go slow with a focus on brighter days in your near future.
A great week to you! :)
@kattyaz

Activity progression for TKRs
 
Good evening
I had PT today and it was great. I am told I am healing well and at a good pace. I can bend at 90 and straighten my leg. I am required to use the walker until I see my OS on the 28th. I do ditch it when I am walking around the kitchen.
The knee massage is Devine!
I changed bed sheets today and did laundry. Someone else made the beds so that was a bonus. I also cleaned the bathrooms. That wore me out so I had a nice shower before I went to PT.
Now I am icing and compressing.
Only downside is my non operated knee is having some pain. I will need to share the load better.
 
That wore me out
It wore you out because your body is trying to use energy for healing first, not leaving a lot for the other activities of daily living. I am sorry you don't have help for those household chores so you're able to get the restorative rest you need to heal properly without stops in the ODIC to nurse excessive swelling.

It is unfortunate that your non op knee is bothering you. I'm guessing you'll find relief once, Lefty, takes on an equal share of weight. It is natural and easy to favor a limb that was so recently traumatized.

Rest, Ice, Repeat and take meds on schedule. It may be boring, but it's the best medicine right now.
 
I changed bed sheets today and did laundry. Someone else made the beds so that was a bonus. I also cleaned the bathrooms. That wore me out so I had a nice shower before I went to PT.
Please slow down. You are only days out of major surgery. If you are doing PT, that is all that you should be doing. Laundry, bed changing and bathroom cleaning is far too much activity for that baby knee.
 
Following this schedule gives us an easier and more successful recovery without adding all the pain and swelling that comes with overdoing it.
ADL
 
I changed bed sheets today and did laundry. Someone else made the beds so that was a bonus. I also cleaned the bathrooms. That wore me out so I had a nice shower before I went to PT.
Please STOP! You are doing much too much at this very early stage of recovery -- you are only one week post-op and you should be spending your time resting, icing and elevating.

I really worry that all this activity will keep you from healing properly. Bones and soft tissues take weeks, if not MONTHS, to heal. Please take a look at this chart:

1652123217285.png
 
I have been taking it easy by just way around the house. I had PT Thursday and Friday so my knee has been a little sore. Today I did some heel slides and leg straightening and leg lifts while lying in bed. In a bit I will try some heel slide while in a chair. Everything seems to be going well and on track. Happy Sunday.
 
Progress is going well. My surgery was 3 weeks ago today. My post op appointment was good, my bend was 121.
I can walk around the house without my walker but my PT wants me to focus and walk slowly and correctly. I feel I tend to lumber about instead of walking, something I attribute to pre hip surgery pain 5 years ago and then subsequent knee pain.
I was able to ride the bike at PT and make a full rotation without pain. I attribute this to the fact that every evening I have been slowly pulling my knee toward my chest and massaging the knee. I do this because I like to sit with my knees bent, just a weird personal preference.
PT has me working on balance, standing and sitting using both knees, and straightening my knee. I find straightening the hardest to do.
I did return to work this week, but since I work from home (4days a week at 5 hours a day) it basically means I logged into my computer from my home office and sat in a chair instead of the couch. I did get up every hour to walk around and relax the knee.
Today I was feeling tired so I only worked 2 hours.
I hope everyone is doing well.
 
I find straightening the hardest to do.
This is often slower to come back than the bend. Don’t worry. In time it will be fine. Don’t try to force it or use any weights to straighten your leg. You’re doing great!
 
Yep re extension taking longer IME ... With both knees... Each one let me know when it was uncomfortable with a pillow underneath at night and led me to spending partial nights without the pillow. My mid June knee just started "requesting" no pillow last week and that tells me extension is improving! It still wants it for part of the night....
 
I can walk around the house without my walker but my PT wants me to focus and walk slowly and correctly. I feel I tend to lumber about instead of walking,
If your PT hasn't mentioned it, here’s a tip -
Try heel-toe walking. This involves striking the ground with your heel first, then rolling through your heel to your toe, and pushing out of the step with your toe. It takes a concentrated effort, but I believe you'll notice a difference. Give it a try.

Here is a visual
[Bonesmart.org] katty’s recovery


Best Wishes, kattyaz!
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, katty. :yes:
I hope all continues to go well with your progress, including work.
Have a wonderful weekend and please stay in touch!
@kattyaz
 
Hi
It has been five weeks, and I am doing well. I am driving myself now since I am off the pain meds and my husband is happy he is no longer my chauffeur!
I stopped going to PT as I can do the exercises at home, I just need to start.
I walk around the house and yard but I really need to get out and go for longer walks and build up endurance.
Working from home is fine, I try to move every hour to work the stiffness out of my knee.
I can’t complain and I wish all the newbies great success in recovery.
 
You might defer pushing the walking distance until 6-8 weeks, as your muscles need that much time for "basic repair" - perhaps more frequent shorter walks meantime? Or track your distance walking outdoors and don't increase it more than once a week.
 
Back
Top Bottom