THR Katiedid's post op journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I went for my 2-week post-op appointment. The incision looks good. I was glued back together and then have a mesh tape over that. I could have had it removed yesterday but the nurse and then the PA both said it's o.k. to leave it on and it will begin to slough off in the next week or so in a way somewhat similar to a snake shedding its old skin, I guess. Most of the bruising is gone, very little swelling remains. Told to come back in 6 weeks.

PTKelsey came by today. She feels I'm doing just fine at this point in time and is discharging me from home PT. I will probably start outpatient PT next week. I do have a slight limp although nothing like the twisted one I had pre-op. There was initial concern of LLD but I am hopeful that it will be resolved over time. Still I'd like to work on my gait.

I am able to easily walk to the corner of my street and back, about .33 miles round-trip according to MapMyWalk. Will start doing that much twice a day and gradually increase. I'm using my trekking poles. I had been advised to use the walker outside, but I'm used to using the poles while hiking and it seems natural and easy.

Yesterday was the first time I rode in the car. It's still kind of awkward for me to get in and out, especially climbing where I have to really duck my head, one of the few times I wish I were a wee bit shorter. Still I managed to get in and out a total of three times without banging my head.

I'm sleeping better but not great. I don't think I'll ever be able to sleep long stretches on my back. I start out in bed for about 2 hours, then spend 3-4 hours in the recliner before returning to bed for 1-2 hours. I've been told that I can try sleeping on my side, but I haven't figured out exactly how I'm going to do that while keeping my restrictions. OTBethany told me that I could sleep on the op side because I wouldn't have to worry about breaking the midline restriction. I didn't ask the OS but his PA said either side is o.k. It seems just about everyone else says to sleep on the non-op side. I will probably wait at least one more week before trying.

So now it's onward to see what improvements the coming week will bring. As always, I'm so thankful to be among fellow hippies who are kind and generous with support.
 
You're doing great @Katiedid2! I had anterior, so I didn't have any sleeping restrictions, but I've read several posts by (posterior) members who have been told to place a pillow between their legs if side sleeping. Hope this helps.
 
Yes @Katiedid2 .... I'm 10 days post and have been sleeping on my non op side since day 1. Using the pillow between my knees is very comfortable for me.

I've got two hiking sticks that I think I'll try tomorrow when I walk our gravel road.... Thanks for that idea! Around the house I use my cane.

With my last back surgery they used the glue and mesh. I just loved that way of closing! I too left the mesh on until it wore off naturally and it lasted quite a while! This surgeon likes the staple close, so I've got 28 of them to be removed next week at my 2 week appt.

How's your energy level? I sleep like a baby, getting up once a night to pee.... But when I wake up after sleeping in, I'm pooped before I get started!! Doc says be patient. I'm trying!
 
@Jillie422 and @Cynthia777 Thanks for your thoughts about sleeping on my side. Maybe I'll get up enough nerve to try it with a pillow between my legs for a short time before falling asleep. Sleeping on my back has been by far the most difficult challenge I've faced in this adventure. And I'm worried about "doing damage" because the thought of having to spend more time on my back is just too much to bear. :yikes:

Like you, Jill, I use my cane in the house. And, even though I'm changing venue a couple of times a night, I seem to be getting enough sleep. Most days I'll take a short nap in the afternoon, but other than that, I haven't felt really exhausted and usually feel relatively energetic in the morning. I hope you feel less and less tired as the days go on.
 
@Katiedid2, I agree with you about the back sleeping being the hardest part about recovery from THR. I was unable to do it (due to undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea) so I had to sleep sitting up, propped up by about 15 pillows all around me. I was only able to get 1 - 1 ½ hours of sleep at a time, so I grabbed sleep whenever I could throughout the day and night, ending up averaging from 6 - 7 hours per 24 hours. I was told not to sleep on my side, but at about 3 weeks I tried it anyway, since I was so desperate, and used a pillow between my legs. Woke up a couple of hours later in bad pain. Didn't try it again until 6 weeks, with the pillow (which I still use), and did not have the extra pain at that time.

It's good you haven't felt really exhausted yet, and hope you never do!
 
@Krista, during the night I got to thinking about your posts about how you sewed 2 pillowcases together. I am going to look at those again to see if I can come up with something similar so that I'd dare try some side-sleeping. Even the thought of going 6 weeks on my back either in bed or recliner IS exhausting. I am hoping that you will be able to get help soon for your apnea that will allow you to finallly get some real rest.
 
@Katiedid2, for sure, you could sew pillowcases together and then stuff 2 or 3 pillows in there and have a big wide area of pillow between your legs, so that your leg can't fall off to the side. Anything to avoid having to always back sleep. I am having another overnight to try out a cpap machine and get the pressures recommended for me. Tried a few masks with cpap the other day and loved the feeling. So things are moving along for me. Soon...
 
@Josephine - What do you think may be causing my pain? Thanks so much for taking the time to help so many here on BS.

I am now 5 months post op. I can walk easily without a limp.

My problem is ongoing pain in my backside. It's worse when I get up in the morning and after sitting in the evening. It doesn't bother me during the day nor when I am walking although I can bring it on by bending sideways in either direction and it will then radiate out through the area..

I occasionally ice it, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. I sometimes take naproxen or tylenol but that also doesn't seem to do much for it. I am not doing any exercises other than walking. Have not done any PT since the end of June.

Here's a picture of the chart with where I'm feeling it.

[Bonesmart.org] Katiedid's post op journey
 
Clever you for doing your own chart! I think that from that position, it's more likely to be an SI joint issue. Certainly nothing to do with your THR. Go see a good, hands on chiropractor is my recommendation.
 
Thanks, Josephine. I'm about to go away for a month, but I'll look into a chiropractor when I get back.
 
Thought I'd post a 6 month update.

Actually, I reached the 6 month mark back on November 3. That was one day after I'd successfully climbed back up to the rim of the Grand Canyon on my own two feet, no mules or helicopters needed. :heehee: I had hiked to the bottom of the canyon the previous week. We camped there for 7 days, working on a volunteer project. I admit that I was a little worried beforehand about making the 9.5 miles trek each way even though we did it with an overnight stop each way.

I do continue to have lower back pain on the side of the new hip. May try to find a chiropractor soon.

Another problem I've had is that the vision in my right eye deteriorated after surgery. Neither the surgeon nor my eye doctor nor a retina specialist seem to think there is a connection. Next step is going back to the eye doc for a new prescription.

Then there's my left foot. I had a bunionectomy and hammertoe surgery a few years ago, but now I have another hammertoe and a tendency to get painful calluses and corns on the outside edge of that foot so I'll need to see a podiatrist.

Despite these issues, I'm really happy with the new hip. No more limping!
 
This gives huge hope for anyone contemplating hip surgery. There is an alternative life and it is SO much better!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom