THR Katiedid's post op journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katiedid2

Country
United States United States
Just a quick note to say that I got my new right hip yesterday and I've just been cleared to go home this afternoon having successfully completed two occupational and physical therapy classes. I will write a longer tale soon.

Thank you for sharing all your stories and your notes of encouragement.

Looking forward to hearing your details. Aren't you glad to have that part behind you? Cheers!

Jolly good! But don't forget - you're not going home because you're all healed and ready to go! You're going home to recover.

Here are the BoneSmart mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
- be active as much as you need to be but not more than is necessary, meaning so much that you end up being in pain, exhausted or desperate to sit down or lay down!

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Welcome to the other side @Katiedid2 ! Get those mantras going. They are tried and tested by many of your fellow new hippies.

congratulations, dont overdo it though. euphoria kicks in and then ouch. I am two weeks on and if i do too much (which sometimes seems very little) I get a kind of painful restless legs thing going on and have to take a good dose of codeine to recover. So little and often does it, and I hope you have a great recovery. :happydance:

I learned so much from reading all of your stories and tips. I hope that the story of my experience will add to the great wealth of information and inspiration here.

Here's part 1 - In and out of the hospital

It’s been almost a week since I had my posterier THR on May 3rd.

My surgery was scheduled for 10:15 last Tuesday. While waiting for zero hour, the anesthesiologist came in. He asked if I wanted a nerve block or pain meds. Hmm… I didn’t know which would be better or that I'd be getting a choice. He stated some pros and cons of each and seemed to favor the nerve block so that’s what I o.k.’d.

About 10, as I lay hooked up to the IV and ready to roll, we learned there’d be about a 45 minute delay. Time seemed to pass relatively quickly and soon I was rolled into the operating room. Of course, that’s all I remember until waking up in the recovery room.

As it turned out, I spent several hours there even after I was cleared to go my room. First there was a wait for my room to be cleaned. Then another wait for someone to transport me.

My husband (Mike) was with me for part of that time in the recovery area. He says my first concern was my glasses. Someone got them for me right away. He tells me that I also said I had a lot of pain, but I don’t remember that. In fact, I am continually surprised by how little pain I’ve had.

Apparently, we talked but I kept drifting off and I don’t remember much of that time at all except his telling me that the surgeon had said all went well. :yahoo:

Once in my room, I felt decidedly nauseous. They brought me what I think the nurse said was cranberry ginger ale. It didn’t help. I don't know why they put cranberry into it. Eventually, she gave me a pill for the nausea. They brought a tray of food probably around 6 or so, but I couldn’t eat then. Now that is soooo unlike me.

Mike went home about 8 p.m. because I was still pretty drowsy and I wasn’t in pain, maybe because of the nerve block. About ½ hour later I woke up and the nausea was totally gone. I was hungry so I ate some of the turkey out of the sandwich and the canned peaches. Yum, yum. :rotfl:

After awhile, maybe around 10 pm, I told the tech that I needed to pee. He got the nurse and they instructed me how to scooch over and then sit on the edge of the bed. I put my left foot down without problem. Then I put the right foot down and the leg just collapsed. I was holding on to the walker and they were holding on to me so I didn’t fall, but no way I could stand on it. They got me a bed pan, but even though I felt like I would go, at the last second, nope, nothing. :sad:

This not being able to stand up turned out to be the effect of the nerve block. Of course, it didn’t help to have the nurse and tech say they never heard of giving a hip patient a nerve block and that they should not have given me that. Later I learned that this pair do not usually work on this floor and that may have accounted for their not knowing that some hip patients do get nerve blocks.

On the other hand, I wish I had not had it because I couldn’t get out of bed until the next morning. And I had to have a catheter. :gaah: When I got that, boy oh boy, did my tanks empty out. :snork:

I slept fairly well between vitals checks, blood draws, etc. Again, no or very little pain.

They got me up early, took the catheter out, and stood me up so I could sit in the chair. No nausea so was able to enjoy the delightful omelet and bagel breakfast. Ha! :snork:

My husband was there by 7:30. An hour later they came to get me for therapy. I was able to walk down the hall using the walker all the way to the “gym”. First up was occupational therapy. At this point that involved getting in and out of a bed using the leg lifter and going up and down two steps.

Next was a big group OT session where we took our shoes and socks off and then put them back on and put on a pair pants. Maybe something else. Next we did our 6 PT exercises sitting in our chairs. I’d been practicing them ahead of time. They didn’t seem bad. Of course, much of my thigh was still benefiting from the nerve block.

Back to the room where my husband and I hung out and then had lunch.

A little later it was back to the gym for another round of the PT exercises. And then the therapist had me climb up about 4 or 5 stairs a couple of times, once using the railings and once using a cane. Then I got to get in and out of the “car”. She asked if I was ready to go home and I said “YES”. (No, I didn't yell, but I was excited because the nurse had looked at me like I was crazy when I told her that I hoped to go home today.) So I was cleared by the OT and PT people but still needed medical clearance.

Since my surgeon wouldn’t be around until the evening, his P.A. came to check on me. Again, everything apparently looked good and she gave the go-ahead to begin the discharge paperwork.

It was probably about 4:30 when they brought the wheels to the room. Once ready to roll, I was handed a red carnation, and away we went to the outside world, less than 36 hours after arriving at the hospital. Getting into our minivan was a challenge. I’m tall so have to really duck my head and then there’s lifting that leg in. But what a thrill to be on the way home. We even stopped at McDonalds for a rare treat of milkshakes to celebrate.

We had big salads for supper. I was pretty tired but didn’t want to go to bed too early because I was really worried about lying on my back all night. I just do not sleep well for long if not on my side.

The night turned out to be LONG. I had to get up to pee every 1-1.5 hours. Getting in and out of our bed was a real chore. I was happy to hear the little bird who sings his heart out every morning at 5 a.m. outside our bedroom. Soon I could get up and not have to get back in bed.

...to be continued later

So nice to hear your saga, @Katiedid2 . Your meals at the hospital sound oh, so, yummy! Keep sharing your story...since I, too, am a side-sleeper and not looking forward to this back-sleeping thing. Nor the potty pit stops! So.....I guess you wouldn't recommend the nerve block? Just wondering. ~ ~ You sound like you're doing well so far....just remember the mantra....ice, meds, rest. ~ ~ Keep us posted!

Yay @Katiedid2 A great recovery update. The pre-ops really need to read the detailed recovery accounts like yours to know what happens in hospital. I hope your recovery is perfect. As for getting up to go pee -- I'm four weeks out from THR #2 and I usually am up three times a night. For some reason I go just before getting into bed and then almost every single night I wake up about an hour later to go again. I keep thinking maybe once I relax and get to sleep the bladder relaxes too and I have to go. Then I'm up again about 1am and again about 4 or 5 am. I'm keeping track on my fitbit and it also shows how "restless" I am. Sleeping on my back :swoon:is so uncomfortable and I still can't sleep for long on my side - so - restless nights. I hope you begin to sleep well very soon. Welcome to the Healing Side of Life. :chillpill: --julie

Awesome @Katydid! I remember that glorious ride home from the hospital...great feeling! I'm with Squirrellymom, I'm going on three weeks post-op and still need to hit the bathroom two or three times during the night. Fortunately I've been able to fall back asleep quite nicely after each trip. Have you considered getting a side rail (or child safety rail) to help with getting in and out of bed? I've read that the rails have been a tremendous help for several other members. :)

I'm going to try to reply to some of the comments above. Bear with me...this is one of my first real forays into forums.

@shirleyH - ah, the restless legs, so far my biggest pain but I've dealt with them before and they haven't been too bad. The last couple of nights, I've taken 1 Percoset before bed and then 1 in the middle of the night. It has helped tremendously and, so far, that is the only pain meds I've used since leaving the hospital.

@Nana2-8 - Initially I thought that the nerve block was a mistake because it meant I couldn't stand until the following morning. On further thought, I'm wondering if it may have helped keep me relatively painfree even after it wore off. Since I still got to go home the next day after surgery, other than having to use the catheter, it wasn't a problem.

@Squirrellymom - your pee routine sounds a lot like mine. But even for the past few years, I've been getting up a couple of times a night. This is especially annoying when camping but I've learned to use my trusty wide-mouthed pee bottle (aka empty plastic nut container) At least I've been able to get back to sleep fairly easily this past week.

You mentioned your Fitbit... I love mine but have never slept with it on. Maybe I should try it. The OT told me that I could sleep on my operated side with a pillow between my legs, but I haven't had the confidence to try that. I do sleep part of the night in my recliner.

@Cynthia777 - side rails, yes, they might well help! On the other hand, I'm making progress and the therapists are convincing me that the way I'm maneuvering isn't going to cause any harm.

As for all the nighttime (and daytime, for that matter) peeing, I thought at first that I must have a UTI. Luckily I read various threads on this site that made me realize I was just full of a lot fluid. My lower leg didn't swell, but my right buttock certainly plumped up. I had Mike take a picture and it made me laugh - you remember the song "Baby Got Back". Well, I sure had "half back". :rotfl: I also realized with relief that it was part of why I felt so uncomfortable lying on my back.

You fellow hippies are fantastic. May you all sleep well tonight and every night!

For being one of your first forays in a forum, you did great and in fact had me laughing with the "Baby Got Back" visual! I'm happy you're coming along so well. Just stay ahead of the pain with your meds and for the swelling, plenty of ice. :)

congratulations on your so far great recovery. I love McDonalds milk shakes, great way to celebrate as the old vino definitely doesn't like opiates! my upper thigh is still a little solid and swollen but my ankle has settled and my hip feels as solid as a rock. Standing on the other one to do exercises is not easy as it gives way but each day I find something new I have done automatically. Things to look forward to......:dancy::happydance::biking:Take care

First week post-op:

2nd day post-op and first full day at home:
Everyone I talked to said they spent a good bit of the first few weeks in their recliner. We didn’t have a recliner so I told Mike we’d wait and see. It only took one night to convince me that a recliner was in our living room’s future.

Luckily we have a great furniture store with a huge selection of recliners right here in our little village and it opens at 8:30 a.m. Mike was waiting at the door. He took pictures of a few he thought I might like and one was just what I was hoping for in style and color. Turns out that it had just come in two days earlier so I am glad I waited.

Within the hour, it was in the house and Mike was building a frame for it to sit on as I’m tall and wanted it raised up a bit. I love that guy!

By the time the nurse arrived around 10:30 a.m., I was most comfortably ensconced in my lovely new chair with power controls at my fingertips. I’d even had time to do a set of my PT exercises.

The nurse opened my case, took my vitals, and checked the site of the incision which had been “glued” together (Dermabond Prineo). She also had me show her the layout of the house. Although it’s two-story with basement, our bed and bath rooms are on the first floor as is the laundry.

At 1 p.m., the physical therapist arrived. She had me run through the basic exercises and, like the nurse, seemed surprised that I had so very little pain.

The rest of the day was uneventful. And then it was time to go to bed. I started out in the bed but when I had to get up 1.5 hours later, I moved to the recliner. It felt blissful. I did have to get up maybe 3 or 4 times for potty breaks, but was able to fall back to sleep relatively quickly.

3rd day post-op:
Today the occupational therapist came. She also had me show her the layout of the house. She had me get in and out of the bathtub and she and Mike discussed where to install grab bars.

In the kitchen, she showed me how to bend by putting the operative leg back and bending the other leg so I could reach things in the refrigerator and the dishwasher. I’ve seen this called “golfer’s stretch” and was very happy to hear that it was an o.k. thing to do.

She also said it was o.k. to lie on my operative side in bed with a pillow between my legs, but I’m not ready for that yet. I’m sure I’d end up rolling around the wrong way somehow.

No pain pills during the day. Because there’s not much pain, I’m forgetting to ice as much as I should.

Still having to make frequent trips to the bathroom and they seem more urgent so I start to fret a bit about that plus I’m getting concerned because no BM.

Same routine at night – lie on back in bed for about 1.5 hours and then go to recliner. This night, around 3:30 the legs are restless so I munch some crackers and take a pain pill and a stool softener. I get up one more time but then sleep until 8.

4th day post-op:
The good and the bad:

I finally have the wished for BM. Things are movin’ on down the line.

Not quite so many trips to pee and the urgency is much decreased. Phew!

The exercises are leaving my legs restless as night approaches. I decide to take one pain pill before bed and another in the middle of the night, if needed. I sleep on my back in bed for 2.5-3 hours before getting up and going to the recliner. And I do take a 2nd pill around 3.

5th day post-op – much the same as the previous day

6th day post op:
2nd visit from physical therapist. She has me rising and sitting from the chair normally without having to stick the operative leg out in front. She also gives me two exercises to do standing up.

And so, here I am, a week post-op, feeling great with manageable pain and looking forward to advancing to using a cane later this week.

Life is good!

@shirleyH - Yeah, I'd love to have a glass of vino but will hold off until I no longer need the pain meds.

Good to hear that you find yourself making progress every day. I just read your recovery thread. I've had rib pain on the opposite also which I attributed to lying on that side during surgery and leaning heavily on it at first when using walker. Has your pain resolved now?

HI yes just about. I think I was a bit enthusiastic just using one stick or crutch too soon and leaned far too heavily on it resulting in muscle strain. Have struggled sleeping on back getting in-between shoulder pain but progressed to a bit of side sleeping with rolled up towel and that seems to have done the trick. Still got a bit of restless legs but find an afternoon lie down for an hour or so helps a lot. Only took two paracetamol yesterday and one 15mg codeine. I "gave birth" to two wonderful bms but did a little damage to my lingering bladder prolapse. Lots of pelvic floor exercise later and stool softener and things are better, so do keep taking the softeners. You will love it when you realise you have got up and walked off somewhere totally forgetting your cane and the fact that you just got up!!! Take care. :flwrysmile:

@shirleyH
Glad to know that your rib pain is mostly better. I get shoulder pain too when lying on my back, especially if at first I don't lie back just so. I am really looking forward to lying on my side without worrying about causing problems with the hip.

Good news about the bms but hope the bladder prolapse soon heals. That's something my MIL has struggled with for years and it's no fun.

As for getting up and walking off without assistance... that will be cause for celebration! Thanks for your tips and encouragement. :SUNsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back