THR Kathi’s Jan 30 RTHR

kathibean01

Country
United States United States
Got home from anterior total right hip replacement surgery! Had spinal and sleep meds! Truly amazing miracle to be home the same day! Had an excellent, careful doctor and care team!

I had to walk in hospital with a walker have good vitals and potty before being released! I’m Walking at home frequently and doing spirometer, temp checks, bp and blood ox checks!

My legs dangled on the raised toilet seat which we removed! Just needed grab bars or walker!

Appetite is back and took my first oxycodone and antibiotic,aspirin, muscle relaxant!

Long day and will go to sleep soon! God is good!

Welcome!
Sounds like all went great & you are on the road to recovery.
Please keep us posted, remember to rest, ice & elevate as necessary!

Congratulations and welcome to the recovery side!
It sounds like you had a near perfect surgery day and that is wonderful.
I will leave you our recovery articles.
They will help answer questions before you even know you have them.
At least they did for me!
Be sure to pay attention to #2 about pain control.

I hope you get some good rest tonight.

HIP RECOVERY GUIDELINES

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.

If you want to use something to assist with healing and scar management, BoneSmart recommends hypochlorous solution. Members in the US can purchase ACTIVE Antimicrobial Hydrogel through BoneSmart at a discount. Similar products should be available in the UK and other countries.

2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
The recovery articles
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Welcome to the healing side, @kathibean01! :loveshwr:

You are off to a good start. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any questions.

Welcome to recovery and congratulations on your new hip, kathibean. Lots of positives in your post.
You're doing great and you're on your way back to all that you love. Best Wishes!
@kathibean01

Day 1 RTHR I learned the hard way to stay ahead of pain medicine! Was able to walk around with walker and sit up in tv room! Did not try much else!

The polar Ice machine wasn‘t getting the right place so used a towel and baggies with ice to move around! I see PT today and ask about all this! They must have given me one for knees!

The first few days are always hard, @kathibean01, but it does get better.

I used small ice packs for my hip recovery, too. But definitely speak with your therapist about it!

Day 2 I had nausea, vomiting and pain! Finally able to eat some broth and cheese sandwich! Oxycodone made me constipated so got started on ducolax at suggestion from pharmacist! Canceled pt!

Day 3! I’m getting dressed for PT! Nausea is gone and pain is better! Still pretty swollen! i won’t worry yet! Ice really helps! Still using a walker and get my first shower later today!

Paying close attention to meds!

Still pretty swollen! i won’t worry yet!
Please don't. This can go on for months, so know that it's a normal part of the healing process. Ice and Elevation will help. :ice:

Please go slow and easy in PT with this thought in mind -
It is not necessary to exercise your injured hip to promote healing. The controlled trauma sustained through THR will heal on its own. Often though, we're impatient and want to move the process along. In doing so we run the risk of struggling with pain and setbacks stalling the healing process. The best therapy for recovery is walking, but not to excess. Start slowly increasing time and distance incrementally in an effort not to overdo it. Give yourself the TLC you deserve and reap the benefits of a successful recovery.

Good luck in PT and remember who's boss...not them, but you! :wink:

Day 3
pt summary!

PT checked my incision and swelling first! Adjusted my walker height ( thought they did in hospital) and talked about my worries!

I did a lot of sliding op foot up and down on an acylic board with a strap and then went on a stepmaster and was surprised I could do it without pain!

Then ice!

if anything the visit made me feel relaxed That my leg is healing though slowly! I have some easy excercises to do at home then 2x per week to start!

I am hearing from them that knees are harder than hips to get back in action!

3 days in I wouldn't worry about any exercises beyond walking to the bathroom. Those that tell you how easy it is most likely haven't had either done to them or have selective memory. You've only just begun to heal.

Not to be discouraging but you are at the beginning of a journey that will or can take up to a year. Does that mean you won't be able to do certain things for yourself, of course not, but you will have various milestones along the road to recovery.
Don't rush it

Day 4,5,6

Doing simple exercises, elevating and ice!

Tylenol is causing right kdney pain! I hate Tylenol! I suppose ibuprofen is out of question! I take Tizanidine 3 x a day and 1000 mg Tylenol 3-4 times! Oxicodone at bedtime!

I had constipation then opposite! Used Senna-S and prunes!

Took shower 2

Having anxiety thinking about all this!

I can put more weight on the leg!

Really want more mobility but giving it rest and healing!

I'm so sorry you are having problems with the medication, @kathibean01. Please call your surgeon's office if the Tylenol is causing problems and ask about changing your meds.

You need to be careful with ibuprofen if you are taking aspirin or any blood thinner to prevent clots, because NSAIDs like ibuprofen can cause bleeding.

I found icing while elevating all day long to be the best pain reliever available during the first two weeks post-op.

If you have trouble getting the pads on the ice machine to the right spot try skipping the straps and tuck it around your hip with a beach towel. Messing with getting the pad strapped on was too much effort so now I just put it on like a gel pack and tuck it in place. I hope Tria helps.

Thank you! I will try using elevate and ice more often for pain! Then maybe I won’t need Tylenol as often!

i also will talk to my doctor to get alternatives to Tylenol but I’ve never heard of a good alternative!

I spoke to surgeon’s office and he said ibuprofen would be fine as long as ok with my GP!

Really want more mobility but giving it rest and healing!
Slowly but surely you'll get there. Give it time. It's such early days for you at only one week post op.
I hope you'll continue to share your journey with us so we're able to support you along the way.
Best Wishes!

You will need to add a "patience" pill to your Ibuprofen! :heehee:
At only one week post op just chill.
all my best!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member