Guest viewing is limited

TKR Kate97497’s post op

Thanks, susieQ. I’ll have to try them. I trust you are taking it a little easy after your scrapbooking weekend. Yours and Hawk2go’s meals make me want to make chicken & dumplings & a chicken pot pie, 2 of our favorites. Hopefully, both my strength & appetite will be back soon. Next Wednesday will be 5 weeks!
Do take care of yourself.
 
And stop worrying about how I am going to manage laundry. Machine in the basement
I have had to find ways to let friends help me. They ask and my impulse is to say "I've got it" but I have learned to let them help because it also helps them. All this to say, is there a friend or 2 who has offered help, who you also trust to do laundry for a few weeks? You can filter out items you don't wish them to wash ...

ooooooo - chicken and dumplings
 
@Catalien45 Being determined is good, up to a point, I think. Part of the skill here seems to be determining when enough is enough, time to rest. Maybe a bit of a withdrawal from Tramadol, but you did it!. I hope Tylenol keeps your pain under control. Sleep can be such a challenge. I'm trying to figure out if it is really worse for me now. I suffer from insomnia in the best of times. I usually read or listen to sleep stories on my Calm app. Managing all the pillows trying to keep the TKR leg happy doesn't help though.

I'm attacking the clutter for 5-10 minutes at a time. I did manage a shower by myself today and took a slow walk down the street. It is chilly yet bright and sunny today. It feels so good to be outside after 2 weeks of confinement.

@hawk2go I think I am going to have to request some help with laundry. Here I am stressing and I only have 2 days worth of dirty clothes. I'm used to dragging clothes baskets up and down the stairs but I can't do that with a cane. I ordered some big laundry bags with the thought that I can roll those down the stairs. Once I feel comfortable with basement steps I will only need someone to carry them back upstairs. I'm always thinking and planning, would probably help if I gave my mind a rest too.
 
I got my laundry bags and threw a bag of dirty clothes down the basement stairs. I practiced those stairs today during my last PT home visit. Got a load started. I'll do one more with whites tomorrow. Get them dried, folded, back in the bags. A friend is coming over Thursday to take me to my first PT appointment at the clinic. She can carry them upstairs for me. I've spent way too much time thinking about laundry.

I think I will start driving next week too. No drugs and it is my left leg. I'll be fine.
 
That's a good idea, throwing the laundry bag down the stairs. Then you can get your friend to bring it upstairs. I have a rambler house so my laundry is on the same level but I would drag my laundry bag down the hall and around the corner to the laundry room. Then I'd get someone to carry the clean laundry basket back. I'd give myself 5 minutes to stand and fold and then take a break and sit down to rest. Go back again later when I was up for a bathroom break and fold for another 5 minutes. Baby steps!
 
I'm fortunate that others are still doing my laundry ... and I let them, those bags can be heavy - heeheee.
 
I got my laundry bags and threw a bag of dirty clothes down the basement stairs. I practiced those stairs today during my last PT home visit. Got a load started. I'll do one more with whites tomorrow. Get them dried, folded, back in the bags. A friend is coming over Thursday to take me to my first PT appointment at the clinic. She can carry them upstairs for me. I've spent way too much time thinking about laundry.

I think I will start driving next week too. No drugs and it is my left leg. I'll be fine.
My op was the same day as yours and I too am weaning myself off all but paracetamol. I have a high pain threshold and can't say I've had any real pain, but the discomfort at night is such I have no idea sometimes where to put the darned leg.
Sleep. I'm happy if I get four hours a night.
I had a left TKR and have a manual car. Here in the UK, I've been told I can drive next week as long as I feel I can do an emergency stop so basically, I'm insured, but up to my common sense as to whether I'm fit enough. I'm going to drive up and down our drive to get a feel for my capabilities first.
Went in the gym today and walked my now regular half a mile but found I need help to get up on the bike, so I just walked.
I can walk around the house minus any crutches, but take them with me when out so that it signals to others, 'keep clear' and also gives me a confidence boost.

Then I ice. A lot. :) :-) (:
 
I got my laundry bags and threw a bag of dirty clothes down the basement stairs. I practiced those stairs today during my last PT home visit. Got a load started. I'll do one more with whites tomorrow. Get them dried, folded, back in the bags.
I did the same thing except I waited to fold until I carried the bag back up stairs. I could then do that sitting down.
 
@kneeper I have this very strange aversion to unfolded laundry. I am compelled to fold as soon as it comes out of the dryer. Strange, I know. I'm the same about any dirty dishes left till morning. Sometimes I feel more comfortable standing than sitting anyhow. I find it so hard to get comfy for long in my recliner or couch since I got this knee done.
 
Amazing how we adapt to get things done. I find it drives me crazy to see things my husband just doesn't see. Who doesn't clean out the sink? The bleach spray lives on the backslash. How can doing dishes once every 24hrs be enough? And on and on. I can't do these things at this point so I'm learning to live with it. Thank goodness I bought a roomba a couple of yrs ago when facing my first tkr. I find I think ahead alot now, like how many things can I do along the way to the kitchen?
 
@kate97497 I'm with you about folding laundry and washing dishes! I really hate facing a messy kitchen first thing in the morning. And folding laundry right out of the dryer means fewer wrinkles and they can go right into drawers. Even with having major surgery there are some standards that just can not be slacked (IMO) :heehee:
 
Who doesn't clean out the sink?

My guy is the same way --just doesn't see it. But, he did such a great job with all the shopping and cooking and other chores during my "confinement," I let it slide. (He will likely be hearing about it as soon as I am fully recovered, though!)
 
I like to fold the laundry while it's warm too, less wrinkles. Dishes I can let sit overnight, its usually because there's a load washing in the dishwasher or it's clean and needs to unloaded first. Nobody sees the dirty dishes but my daughter and she only does them occasionally.
 
You are all cracking me up! I am ocd w cleaning and do most of it so trying not to go bananas! I have figured out how to pull the hamper bag for laundry but don’t get me started on cleaning the bathroom- ugh! I know we all will survive this but need the cleaning fairy to visit!!!
 
I remember my Grandmother “ Mummy”. In my early 20’s, I would take her to church, & bring her home. She always wanted me to stay for lunch. After, I’d always want clean up. But Mummy would say, “ no.....just leave them; when your Grandfather was alive , anytime I’d get in a hurry to do the dishes ,he would say...let the dishes wait... just sit with me.” It was just so very sweet. Now that being said, I do prefer a clean sink when I wake up. But on occasion....
 
I just put an apple cake in the oven. First time I tried baking since surgery (Oct 21). Gives me a little sense of normalcy. I have few domestic talents but I can cook/bake. It was easier since I am not dependent on the cane, at least not while walking around the kitchen. And I'm not exhausted. Little steps.
 
Congrats on that milestone. It really made me happy to be able to cook again.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom