THR KarenKats recovery thread

Good to hear you're doing well @KarenKat
Sounds like you're progressing as you should. My knee was definitely aggravated by surgery also and quite frankly has never been the same since. I'm not in pain so it's fine but there is a degree of stiffness over two years later. Hopefully yours is short lived. As I said no pain, so I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. The surgery is so worth losing that nasty pre-op pain. I hope you have a lovely rest of the week as you continue your healing journey!

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you have a great day and weekend.
Stay in touch and let us know how you're progressing. :)
@KarenKat

Hi @Layla , I’m doing really well thanks - I hope you and all other forum users are in good health

Not a lot to report other than I’m making steady progress on a day to day basis - swelling and stiffness in knee getting better, and am now able to bend that knee sufficiently high to go up & down stairs using alternating feet, not a pretty sight at the moment ( have to grip tightly onto bannister ) but my legs feel stronger & hip feels fine.

Saw physio for second time yesterday, another batch of exercises, which I have done a few of, but only if I’ve not done much walking ....we’ve had a lot of rain in the UK in the last week or two so not got out as much to walk as would have liked - move around house without crutches, but use one crutch when out & about on uneven ground as tend to limp again without - physio hopes to see me walking without aids at my next appointment in two weeks time ( at 6 week point ) which I think is achievable, I also get to throw my bottle green ted socks in the bin & attempt to sleep on my side (I still sleep badly on my back ) .....onwards & upwards !

Thanks so much for asking how I’m getting on - love & best wishes to all xx

Hi @Karen Kat :wave:
I hope you're still doing well. Did you meet your Physios goal to be walking unaided by your scheduled appt? Not that it's a big deal if you didn't. You should hold onto whatever assistive device you're using until you feel confident setting it aside.

How's the side sleeping going? That one took me awhile. I was kind of chicken to try it, but now it's my preferred way to sleep.

Leave us an update when you have time, we'd love to hear from you again.
Happy November!

Hi @Layla , I’m doing really well at 8 weeks post op today.....many thanks for asking !

.....and yes I met 6 week target of walking unassisted (I stopped using aids at just over 4 weeks ) physio discharged me at that 3rd appointment to ‘self manage’ - at 4 weeks I also decided to get some ‘normality’ back into my life, so took sturdy, high armed garden chair back to shed & now sit on normal chairs/ settee on top of a firm cushion, took unused meds & crutches back to the hospital & ‘get well’ cards down ! I also discarded ted socks 2 weeks early as I was moving around a lot - I can now also get socks on & off by bending my leg back ( heel to bum ) as knee is becoming less stiff & swelling & tenderness in lower leg has reduced a fair bit - I still use grabber for dressing & undressing to abide by 90 degree angle restriction.

Tried sleeping on both sides at 4 weeks with long bolster cushion between my legs which I find comfortable ( my posterior approach incision is no longer tender )- I wake every hour for a stretch on my back as I still get very stiff....Its lovely to be able to have a good stretch, without the fear of my hip catching & locking up !

I’ve been walking up & down stairs normally for the last couple of weeks but usually hold bannister decending as sometimes feel a bit stiff & awkward-I also limp for the first 5-10 steps after sitting or getting up in the morning, but I’ve heard from others that this is all pretty normal at this stage of healing......will see my surgeon for 1st post op appointment at 12 weeks on 5th December when hopefully all restrictions will be removed.

Once again, thanks so much for all the support, information & encouragement which has been invaluable, and I’m sure has contributed greatly to my smooth & uneventful recovery - Hugs xx

Wow, you are doing well! Get all those recovery items out of your way, you aren't playing!

I thought I was the only way to put their socks on that way in the beginning! :snork:

Just remember, you're still pretty early on in this recovery so make sure to keep listening to your body.

Hi @KarenKat
Happy Three Month Anniversary! You've been doing so well. Wondering how your first post op appointment went last week? That's a long wait for a first post op it seems. Your surgeon is wise, he probably gets a lot less questions waiting 12 weeks, sees happier patients who's pain is barely there, or completely gone and witnesses positive result as his patients sing the praises of this life changing surgery.

I hope you're feeling strong enough to tackle the holiday craziness that's upon us. It's going to be a great New Year for you.
Best wishes always! :)

Hi @Layla
I’m doing really well .....thanks so much for asking !

3mth follow up appointment with surgeon was rescheduled slightly earlier - all restrictions removed....first thing I did when I got home was throw the ugly toilet seat raiser in the bin !

Back to gym classes next day - have done Zumba ( no jumping ), Spin & Legs,Bums & Tums classes with no ill effects for the last couple of weeks - plan to wear heels for the first time this evening ( 3” blocky heels not 5” stilettos ! ) to see how I go

I’m still stiff at times ( no pain at all ) and do a few limpy steps if I’ve been sitting for a while......getting up from the floor is not a pretty sight ; bum in the air & then walk hand towards feet & unfold myself - I also can’t sit back on my heels as there appears to still be some swelling in the backs of my knees, small things & getting better by the day - surgeon advised stiffness takes around 6 mths to dissipate - another x-ray done and further appointment booked for September 2020 at the 12 month anniversary

I haven’t posted much lately as nothing really to report, everything going boringly well .......Apart from first week which was pretty grim, I’ve felt really good - no dreaded energy drain or post op blues - I really do believe my recovery has been helped enormously by all the fabulous support & information here & thank you all from the bottom of my heart

Very best wishes Karen xxx

It's good to hear you doing so well!! yay you! @KarenKat
Zumba already, you really are well on your way to a full recovery!

:xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon: @KarenKat wow, you are doing really well! Hope your recovery keeps going well and happy follow up with OS went well. I've been contemplating going back and trying a Zumba class minus the jumping and you're definitely giving me motivation! Hope your holidays are merry and bright!
:wreath::santa-dance:

Hi @KarenKat :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
Nice update! You're doing well! Released from all restrictions and back at the gym. You even braved heels last evening. Block heels are probably easier as there's more real estate. Hope you weren't too uncomfortable.

The stiffness upon rising and first unsteady steps are common and ease with time. Had to laugh at the visual as you explained getting off the floor initially, all too familiar a memory and you can only laugh at yourself as you're engaging because it is so awkward!

I haven’t posted much lately as nothing really to report, everything going boringly well .......Apart from first week which was pretty grim, I’ve felt really good - no dreaded energy drain or post op blues

Wonderful news. May it long continue.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a fabulous 2020!

:merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon: :happy-new-year-smiley-emoticon-4:

Hey KarenKat :wave:
Another month has clicked on by and it's been four months already since your THR. I hope you had a lovely Christmas and are looking forward to a New Year without hip pain.
Happy 2020 to you and a Happy Four Month Anniversary too!
Leave an update when you have a minute, we'd love to hear about your progress.
Until then....all the best!
@KarenKat

Hi @Layla, thanks so much for your lovely message......I’m so enjoying my new pain free life !

Still a bit stiff at times, particularly getting up from the floor and after sitting for a while but steadily improving- sore swollen knee on operated side( twisted during surgery ? ) has thankfully resolved too. I started exercise classes at the gym at the end of November & now do weekly Spin, circuit ( low impact ),dance,Zumba & yoga classes with no repercussions. I also walk everywhere .....I’d forgotten how much I used to enjoy walking and can now walk at the fast pace of my pre limp days - I’ve clocked over 30k steps a couple of times in the last month........I’m hoping to get back on a horse in the not too distant future too:fasthorse: though I would worry that I may come off and damage my shiny new hip, so will probably wait a few more months !

Love & Best wishes to everyone for 2020 xxx:loveshwr:

I’m hoping to get back on a horse in the not too distant future too:fasthorse: though I would worry that I may come off and damage my shiny new hip, so will probably wait a few more months !
Yes many of our members return to riding but this is the only sticky point. No falling allowed.

Sounds like you are doing amazingly well! Enjoy that new hip!

Wow, you are really active! Happy that you're getting your life back and not suffering any pain from your activities. Definitely don't fall, off horse or doing exercise. I'm giving you the slow pony for now!
:horseriding:

Slow pony is right! But seriously, you are having a great recovery and I am so very happy for you!
You are enjoying life, thanks to your new hip.. :chuckmarch:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back