BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL THRs] Jwadds Recovery (2 hip to be square!)

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jwadds, May 2, 2019.

1. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

United States United States
    @jwadds Glad it's going good for you. Driving and going to the drugstore....you are really making good progress.:yay:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

Wanted to check in on you and thrilled to see your report from yesterday, my fellow double pal! Really amazing progress!! Happy to see all us two-fers feeling good and so happy with our decision to go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Yogigirl

Yogigirl junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    After all my surgeries my bladder seems sensitised ...especially after my spinal when I got a couple of post catheter UTI too :(
    Give it time to settle. The whole area has been pretty battered so it needs some time to settle back down. It has only been a month it just feels longer!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    Good to know @Yogigirl. I think it has started to settle this week. I can actually make it to the bathroom without the dribble :)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Yogigirl

Yogigirl junior member

Just keep the bridge exercises (if they’re ok for you), glute squeezes
    and some pelvic floor stuff going and be patient. The urgency and the dribble are what I had post op too. It did go.
    This forum is amazing as it gives us somewhere to ask these questions

• Like Like x 3
  6. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    Totally agree @Yogigirl, I find it incredibly reassuring when others have the same experience, it makes you not worry so much.

Also, I've got such great advice for my fellow bonesmarties.... will keep up the bridging, butt clenches and kegels. I have to do ALL of those maneuvers to get out of bed and get to the bathroom...:heehee:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  7. Yogigirl

Yogigirl junior member

Plus we are so often awake in the early hours it gives us contact with others at what can be the loneliest and most over thinking times.
    My sleep seems to be so much better than most yet I still end up spending many an hour at night wondering if everything is ok

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Just popping by to say :hi: and hope all is well with you!
    :flwrysmile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    All good @mojo thanks for checking in! Wow what a day I’ve had. The most I’ve done in 7 weeks... my bff Janet came to visit this weekend from the island. I drove out to Harbour Air this morning to pick her up, we went for pedicures and I got my legs waxed, I looked like a hockey player but now somewhat resemble a female.... we went for sushi lunch and then to another friends place for cocktails and dinner! I haven’t been this social in 5 months. I’m exhausted but happy that I feel normal again❤️
    Will probably stick close to home tomorrow, maybe make a rubarb crisp as I’ve got tons growing in the garden. Love feeling like a normal life again:)

• Like Like x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Cecropia

Cecropia senior

@jwadds What a lovely post...sounds like 2 glamour girls out for the day....:wowspring:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  11. Yogigirl

Yogigirl junior member

That brings me hope...you’re only 31/2 weeks ahead of us. At the moment a day out seems like something other people do!
    I went to the hospital for PT and needed a nanny nap afterwards I was so tired. It’s good to think in a few weeks I can maybe manage an actual social day out

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. SE Florida

SE Florida graduate

@jwadds, nice to hear you were able to get a girl's day out with your friend! That's quite an adventure for barely being 5 weeks out so I hope you are feeling good today and getting some rest. You don't want to push it too hard too quick but you're getting there! :SUNsmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    Well the spa trip was a necessity, I can bend over and shave the bottom of my legs legs or trim toenails... it was nice though to get “cleaned up”.
    I meant .. I can’t bend over ... lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  14. Yogigirl

Yogigirl junior member

I have been watching the fluff on my knees thicken over the last two weeks and wondered if asking my husband to assist in shaving would result in sliced up legs!!
    I’ve a very good friend whose a beautician coming to visit later so I was thinking of asking her as she’s used to handling other people’s bodies!!
    They should tell us to wax before we go in!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Fit4Family

Fit4Family senior

Sounds like a lovely day! Nothing better than a great visit with a good friend to lift your spirits. Beautiful toes are the cherry on top! @jwadds

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    Sounds like a fantastic busy weekend! I hope you had nice weather to go with all the fun!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    I went to my orthopaedic surgeon for my 6 week checkup and she said everything looks good.... I took pics of my before and after x rays..:shocked:
    before
    before.JPG
    after
    after.JPG

18. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    I asked my surgeon what the rings were for... did she leave the price tag on? :heehee:
    Apparently, when the right stem was being hammered in, the femur cracked so she put on a cable ring to stabilize. Then the left hip cable ring was done as a preventative measure.
    She said my bones were weak from lack of use/weight bearing prior to surgery, which I totally get as I was almost in a wheelchair. She said the crack has now healed and she can see the bones are a lot stronger now. Funny how you can see the clips for a tubal ligation I had back in 1994.

I really have to work on strengthening my quads, glutes and abductors. I went to physio on Monday and did leg presses and I can hardly walk my quadriceps are so sore. I only did 15 with 2 bands, so I'm going to have to go really slow. Physio said to do them "as tolerated". I don't have any stairs in my place, so I haven't had to climb and I really struggle going up and down, even up and down off the curb.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 11:21 PM
  19. Yogigirl

Yogigirl junior member

Can you do bridge? Maybe with a theraband? Or the best thing I’ve found is 10 little squats (I only lower a few inches so squat may be an optimistic term for a more aligned butt dip!!) I hold onto the work top or two crutches, keep my knees aligned and move! ten of those and my weak glute starts to ache. I’ve built up from 4-5 so I know I’m getting stronger.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:giggle:
    I found that physio early on...the first 2 months...was truly too much too soon so do take it slow. I especially found resistance bands unhelpful. My quads were sore as could be...they stretch those about to get in there so they were my longest complaint.
    I did do marches and side raises with the help of holding on to a chair along with some easy heel slides while lying in bed...just something to engage the muscles before rising.
    It will be hard to tell if the weakness right now is weakness or injured muscles still healing.
    You have done splendidly so be patient and know that you can work on things later after some more healing has happened!
    You are going to love these new hips!:loveshwr:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 3:10 AM