Bilateral THR Jwadds Recovery (2 hip to be square!)

I kept as much water off of mine as possible, wasn't easy :umm: then just dabbed the bandage before changing........they only gave me 4 so I guess they didn't think I should shower so much!?! But you're dealing with both sides, so don't even know how you managed! Hopefully you'll get your call back soon!

Last edited:
I think that leaving it on would be a good idea.
Mine were left on but I think when I went to my post on on day 10 they told me I could leave it off.
By then, I don't think I had any weeping though.
Try not to worry...it's likely not a big deal ...it will be good when you get that reassurance though!
Hugs:console2:

I had a waterproof film last surgery that was fine to leave on. This time, I had waterproof dressings and once those were removed at 11 days, I was allowed to shower with nothing, lightly dab dry and air a bit, preferrably 100% cotton underwear. With a bit of blood, I would personally err on the side of caution and shower with the waterproof as opposed to nothing until you talk to OS. Just rub your fingers around the edge of the waterproof a couple times to make sure it is secure all the way around.

Heard back from my OS and I’ve put the remaining waterproof dressing on my left incision and will leave it on until I see my family doc on Thursday.

I’m also going to ask family doc about a nasty rash/pressure wound that’s developing on my bottom. :bawl:

Did anyone else experience that!? It’s very embarrassing and unpleasant! I got my daughter to get me some zinc oxide.

I think it’s from using the bedpan combined with too much sitting/lying in bed. I’d love to be able to sleep on my side but it’s not comfortable yet. I’ve been cleared as long as I have a pillow between my legs.

Also how much walking/exercise is recommended at this stage (day 10)? I find getting up to bathroom, showering, getting meals, tea etc is exhausting so not sure if I should force myself to go for a 10 min walk outside? Probably would do me good, will try it tomorrow. I’m stiff and sore all day but seems to be better in the early afternoon, then I crash and have to nap around 3pm.

I had to leave my waterproof dressings on for 14 days -and then I could remove. I was told do NOT remove them before then …. there was no problem showering and they worked a treat. Hope you can speak to your surgeon asap but I would definitely cover them and leave them until you are told otherwise. Hope this helps.

:hi:
I find getting up to bathroom, showering, getting meals, tea etc is exhausting so not sure if I should force myself to go for a 10 min walk outside? Probably would do me good, will try it tomorrow. I’m stiff and sore all day but seems to be better in the early afternoon, then I crash and have to nap around 3pm
Small tasks at this stage ARE very tiring.:swoon:
The body is working hard to replace blood loss and heal soft tissue and those trips to the bathroom, and tootling about the house do count for walking.
I remember how uncomfortable laying too much was also so I hope you do feel up to a small venture outside.:SUNsmile:
I had no restrictions for side sleeping, but wasn't going to happen early on as you say.:sigh:
I hope today is a good day @jwadds :loveshwr:

Hi @jwadds
You're a champ! Especially going it alone at home.
Check out the Activity Progression for THR below. It's a rough guideline of what you may be able to do in the early weeks. If you feel you can't handle it, no biggie, as a bi-lateral you're dealing with more than most of us did.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/
I hope today is a good day! :) :SUNsmile:

Keeping a pressure sore clean a few times a day using saline water or a very gentle cleanser helps and then pat dry. If you have a very small cushion or piece of foam you could put that under one buttock to relieve it and then switch it to the other side. Shifting weight is the key. I sit on a melted or almost melted ice pack. I don't get the same pressure sitting on the gel at all. Mine is right on my tailbone.

:hi: my double hippy pal!
I hope you are keeping your pain managed and so icing like a fiend!
These first weeks are a bit jarring (bit being very subjective) until we get a routine sorted so I do hope things are leveling out for you.
I quit making a set schedule after the first week and decided to just roll with it.
Sending healing hugs and continued best wishes...:friends:

Thanks @Mojo333. I think I’m getting better day by day. I’m getting my staples out today, so side sleeping maybe possible in the near future. I tried it a few nights ago out of shear desperation but it was too painful. Now I have a dull ache in my left hip. I hope I didn’t mess anything up.
I’m pretty sure I have a UTI so will address that with the doc. Probably from having the catheter in for 3 days....

Hi @jwadds How on earth you would manage to sleep on your side after having both hips replaced is incredible. I have side slept with a pillow between my legs for some time now but that is on the non operated side. I can't stand to even roll gently onto the operated side. Hope you get the UTI sorted.

@Fairydell I don’t sleep as, like you, it’s too painful. I long for the day that I can as I’m not sleeping well on my back. I’ve been a side sleeper for 58 years and habits are hard to change!

@JennyLynne yes I am anxious about the staples, especially since they sent me home with a staple remover! They seem to be those big thick heavy duty staples that you use with a staple gun. My left side is still tender so we’ll see how it goes!

I hope the UTI isn’t going to cause infection in my hip... omg I worry about everything! :sos:

yes I am anxious about the staples, especially since they sent me home with a staple remover! They seem to be those big thick heavy duty staples that you use with a staple gun. My left side is still tender so we’ll see how it goes!

The very thought of that has made me physically sick.. bleurgh :sick:

I'm sorry about the UTI issue, but please try not to worry about periprosthetic infection as the incidence for this, according to data I have read, is under 1% and even then is questionable as to being the source of infection. You do want to address this as soon as possible, as you want to keep your immune system focused on your hip recovery not to mention Im sure that it is Uncomfortable:groan:
yes I am anxious about the staples, especially since they sent me home with a staple remover!
Surely you jest?:nah:

Ughhh @JennyLynne!!!!! My home health nurse could barely get my aquacel off in between her sitting on her computer the whole time! I honestly didn't know they did this, just seems so crazy to me. OMG, I really am getting old!!! My husband would have insisted on taking them out..........thank heaven I had glue! :rotfl:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft