BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL THRs] Jwadds Recovery (2 hip to be square!)

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by jwadds, May 2, 2019.

1. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

United States United States
    So happy to see you on here and that your pain is being managed. Keep the ice going! Wishing you a restful evening. :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. LAbabymama

LAbabymama member

Welcome to the healing side. Glad you made it through. Just rest now and let the nurses take care of you. Let us know how you’re doing when you’re able.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    I actually sat up on the side of the bed and got to my feet with the help of an assisted walker and the PT. Absolutely gruelling but it felt good after to have accomplished it. Did some marching on the spot... lol. Both legs feel like they weigh 100o lbs. Im hoping the pain and stiffness go away a little bit each day.

• Like Like x 6
  4. hbl

hbl junior member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Glad you've got through those first few days - it really is a tough one for us double hippies. Each day does get easier and whilst first few weeks are definitely in the 'don't want to go there again' box you will get through it quicker than you think. If you haven't picked this up before on the threads PLEASE PLEASE get yourself a recliner if you haven't got one at home already as you will find you definitely need this. In the UK we can hire them which is what I did and kept it for 6 weeks.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Icing and elevation will ease this pain and stiffness.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

So glad to hear from you and I'm glad that they are getting the pain management worked out.
    I had a Long few hours where it wasn't "there" and it was not fun.
    First days certainly are, um, Jarring!
    But all done and that terrible hip pain is too...just hard to notice with all this other hurting.
    Healing hugs!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    Thanks all! @hbl yes u did rent a power lift recliner a few days before surgery. I wish I’d done it awhile ago! It’s so comfortable and easy to get in and out of!

• Like Like x 5
  8. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    I think one of the worst things post surgery is the back pain, which I wasn’t expecting. I guess itmaybe due to the range of motion they put your leg through once they’ve got the socket in place and before they stitch you up (not sure if other doctors do this). My range of motion was nil before so my back was not used to the maneuvers. Also it may’ve been due to the spinal that I had.

Funny story, apparently during surgery when they were flipping me over to do the other side, I said, “is there anything I can do to help?” I heard someone say “oh isn’t she nice”. I thought I was just dreaming it but the surgeon confirmed that I said it! I really was in la la land running through a field of daisies as they gave me ketomine and fentanol with the spinal.

Oh ya, and I got my surgeon to take pics of both femoral heads. I will post if anyone has the stomach for it. I’m just one of those people who are curious....

• Like Like x 7
  9. Carriemay60

Carriemay60 post-grad

Canada Canada
    The back pain could well be from the spinal or manipulation and hopefully pass quickly leaving you in peace! It could also be from back sleeping/laying. If they will let you have just a little bit of a pillow under your knees it takes quite a bit of strain off the lower back. That is funny you were offering to help!
    Post your pictures - people who can't handle it can scroll by the thumbnail :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    1BCA098A-C735-4CA9-B3FC-F6D20F2799EF.jpeg C87C85D5-8C22-42BD-8D1C-5358C01AFAEA.jpeg Not sure which one is which

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. mikeycat

mikeycat graduate

Canada Canada
    So tomorrow is the day for you when you will be going home. You must be relieved. Not fun about rough patches though but I will be looking at your postings as I will be given a date tomorrow for my bilateral. Was it difficult getting up from bed the first time ? How difficult?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    Hi @mikeycat no I’m not going home tomorrow, doc said min 4 nights and maybe more depending on how I manage. I can’t even tell you how difficult it was/is to get out of bed, except to say it is challenging. Had 2 physiotherapists from H,E, double hockey sticks today, that really pushed me and I was a bit teary afterward. They made me walk out into the hallway about 10 feet with an assisted walker. Then onto the worlds most uncomfortable chair (must be the same one that @JennyLynne was put in) where I sat for 2 hours with my legs tied together (they’ve been splayed apart for the last 6 months). Then... a friend came to visit and she brought me a cup of coffee and you know what happens after you have coffee... sorry TMI.
    I was on the commode for a bit and then back to bed. Was in bed for only about an hour and I knew I had to go again! so I had to get out of bed again, but at least my nurse, who is a sweetheart, was able to wheel the commode chair onto the toilet. A bit of a traumatic exhausting day for sure.
    Doc who saw me today said prob won’t go home until wed or Thur.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  13. mikeycat

mikeycat graduate

Canada Canada
    Oh gee, that is discouraging for you and sounds totally exhausting.I have been reading about PT and wonder if all they push one to do is necessary. My Pt doesn't like the approach that they seem to be inflicting upon those in post -op. I am so sorry for your pain (and mine which will be imminent). I think I will be a difficult patient I know I will. You seem to have all your bearings and.. be teary this is major surgery --but good in that you will have a better life afterwards.Will be thinking of you. You are in B.C. are you not? The weather must surely be nice now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    Yes in Vancouver at ubc hospital, it looked like a beautiful day today! The BMO marathon was this morning, many of the nurses were late due to the road closures.

I’ve nicknamed the PTs Hanz and Franz from the SNL characters... :heehee: they are Eastern European and are 2 burley guys. I hope they’re not here tomorrow....

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
  15. hbl

hbl junior member

Am so pleased you're feeling a little better (and that you have a recliner). I have also posted my femoral photos on my day by day recover thread … we can compare! Re your back pain, this was and is definitely the same for me and I was NOT expecting it. Yes, I have a prolapsed disc (L3/4) but I have kept it under control with regular osteopathy etc. However, the op and then sitting badly and then little or no exercise the pain kicked in which is in my sacro ileac joint and runs down my glutes, inner right leg and into my right knee which also gave me a lot of pain. I've found that getting back to walk, walk, walk as much as you can to strengthen all your glutes and leg muscles definitely helps as does an excellent physio who is working with pressure point massage (ouch) to release all these muscles particular in the sacral area. It's getting there. I'm now week 11 and so much has improved. No crutches, hill walking up and down across country etc. BUT still can't abduct, apparently those muscles are like concrete after having been like that for years so whilst hips say yes, muscles and ligaments say no. It's a long haul. The other thing I'm still find is lower back pain that kicks in on car journeys over 20 mins, train seats and am sure this is because of lack of lumbar support so it might be helpful to you to take something with you on long trips that can support you in this area. I'm back in the gym with arm weights, pilates albeit all at a lower level than I was before and I know that until I can strengthen all the muscles around my knees - and everywhere! - it will be the long haul. Plus I still have some swelling around my rh knee and rh hip. All very normal

So I only write all of this to reassure as everyone does on this website that things get easier and easier!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    Thanks for the words of encouragement . @hbl im glad the back issue is not uncommon. I just wasn’t expecting it and the nurses here all seem to be surprised I have back pain.

Hopefully I’ll see the surgeon tomorrow and I’ll ask her what approach she took and what muscles ligaments were cut. That may help to explain. I think the insisions are posterior but I’m not 100% sure...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

None are cut. The are eased away from the joint to provide access. Try putting a small pillow under your knees when you are sleeping on your back. Lower back pain is very common post op.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. JennyLynne

JennyLynne post-grad

I’m having flashbacks to that terrible chair!! Whyyyyy don’t they have comfortable chairs??

Sounds like a really rough day. Were your legs literally tied together? This sounds like an S&M den, not a hospital! Thank goodness for kind nurses.

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

Was just telling my husband that you had not posted in post OP, and now you are here. I could be one of those, wont here from me after cause I just wont feel like posting right away...we are all different. Glad you are okay, as you know, finally posting....hugs

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. jwadds

jwadds member

Canada Canada
    @Cecropia i did have a thread in post op as well called “bilateral THR rehab?” Was good to ask any questions so you’re prepared for post surgery.