THR Just had my hip replacement on Jan 14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rest as much as you can luluohio - It can only help you at this point. I'm glad your OS will squeeze you in sooner and hopefully give you some good advice. I hear you about the resting, though - I often wonder how much is too much, but then when I get more active, the pain seems to return. So until you get some answers, it seems reasonable to just take it easy.
It's really good of your boss to give you an extra day off each week, too. Sounds very understanding of him (her?).
Let us know how the appointment goes and how you're doing.
Kim22 So glad you're having an appt. this week, too. You haven't seen your OS since the pain started, have you? I remember that he broke his arm, didn't he? This visit should prove to be a helpful one - at least he can evaluate what's going on, and hopefully give you some answers, too. Good luck with it, and let us know what he says. Are you feeling any better lately? I'm sorry I haven't been to your thread in a while- it's hard to keep up with everyone!
 
Hi ByGosh I so know what you mean about how hard it is to keep up with everyone as I keep missing things too. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow. Yes my OS broke his arm so I am not sure if I will see him or another member of his team. My progress is still up and down.I find that I improve so try doing a little more and then take another step backwards.The groin remains sore and my concern is a catching sensation when I straighten the operated leg in standing.Have decided to do less activity until I know what is going on.How are things with you ?
 
Kim22
ByGosh
Of all things that happened to me. I was at home resting on Wednesday and bent over to pick up a piece of lint on the rug. I pulled some lower back muscles, so now I'm dealing with that. I think after resting so much and not being able to exercise your muscles just get weak all over. I wasn't expecting this, but I got a massage scheduled for tomorrow. Hopefully that might loosen things up. I hope it's just muscles, I've never had back problems before but walking with a cane is bound to throw your balance out of wack, to much compensation here or there. Oh well, just be careful and learn from my mistake. I've heard many cases where aches and pain spring up because we tend to compensate one part for another. My OS hasn't contacted me with a earlier appt yet. Actually today my back hurt more than my hip. I guess it's one way to slow you down and take your mind off your hip.
Kim good luck with your appt tomorrow.
 
Hi luluohio, have you tried heat on your back and even alternate with ice packs.. backs are so problematic with our recoveries for quite a few of us :)
 
Hi luluohio So sorry to hear that you have hurt your back. It's so easily done isn't it ? It seems like a lot of people have back issues after hip surgery.Poppet has given you good advice about the ice and heat regime as well as painkillers of course but I am sure you are taking those anyway.Does your pain relief include anti inflammatories ? I hope you get your appointment very soon
 
Poppet
Kim22
Yes I have been using both heat and ice. I also had my massage. During the massage it seemed like hit every muscle in my back except that one. It did feel better after the massage though so he must have got to it with the connecting muscles. I only had a few massages in my life and this guy really does a good job. He massaged my leg and released some muscles that made my leg feel better too. He does the lymph system too, I haven't figured out if that really does anything or not. It might be a placebo effect, maybe not. I'm suppose to go back to him a few more times in the next few weeks. Anything is worth a try.
I considering going to another OS for a consult. My OS doesn't seem to be able to fit me into his schedule. His PA called and left a message on my home phone (after I asked him to call my cell, he must not have wanted to talk to me) He said that the schedule is book solid and he just wanted to check to see if it was getting worse. I am questioning whether I'm just recovering slower than normal or if there is really something wrong. I really don't want another surgeon getting knife happy and doing surgery that doesn't need to be done. I say that as I sit here in bed with an ice pack on my back and another on my hip, after taking a pain pill and an a Advil an hour ago. Life is so confusing at times, this recovery is just taking too long.
I'm afraid that I won't get a truthful answer from my OS even if he thinks there is a problem. How would a god admit there is a problem? Not that I think he isn't one but he is too busy to see his patients and I think there is something wrong with that line of thinking. Being in the healthcare profession I would think there would be some compassion and pride in your work. I feel like a piece of meat that has been cast aside because I didn't heal perfectly. A little dramatic but .........
 
Hi luluohio, A second opinion wouldn't do any harm perhaps.i agree with you that it's bad that he won't fit you in.Is there someone you could complain to ? I am glad that the massage helped you. Life is so very confusing I agree.I am so sorry that you are not getting any better.Thinking of you.
 
I understand your frustrations luluohio, having a second or third opinion is a good idea and it doesn't necessary mean that they will go straight to the scalpel.. Additional opinions are always good and gives one new and fresh ideas of the problem..

Think of it this way, you get referrals to different professional specialists for all sorts of health reason, ear, nose and throat, endocrine, cardiac, general surgeon.. The list goes on.. seek a second/third opinion honey until you feel satisfied that you are getting sufficient answers.. it is your body and you are in control!

I know you are tired and frustrated.. I am very pleased that the massage helped..

Must get my husband onto my massages (he is also qualified).. Hmm! I am missing out.. Problem is we are both so exhausted for very stressful jobs which equals limited energy.. don't we all suffer from this phenomena these days :)
 
Kim22
Poppet
Thanks for the advice, I'll call on Monday and see if I can get in to see this other OS. Of course I doubt he will have much open time in his schedule either. At least I'll have it on my schedule in case things don't settle down. I hope everything takes care of it self, that would be ideal.
 
luluohio, you mentioned.... He does the lymph system too, I haven't figured out if that really does anything or not. It might be a placebo effect, maybe not.. Not at all honey, far from it.... Massage is one of my Natural Medicine Practitioner modalities. I studied and practiced just what was necessary as I knew I didn't have the strength in my arms, hands and wrist. However my hubby also studied with me and he went onto Remedial, Lymphatic and Therapeutic Massage, so has three qualifications in massage.

Lymphatic massage is very important because we all know the Lymphatic system is our front line of defence in fighting bodily infections, detoxifying the body and transporting metabolic wastes, excess water, bacteria and toxins out of the body.

The Lymph glands (at neck, armpits, groin, etc.) are connected by a broad network of vessels which transport the fluid. Muscular movement is required to move it, as there is no "Heart" to pump it.

Lymphatic Drainage is a gentle whole body treatment that relaxes the nervous system and aids the body's immune system. It is highly recommended for those prone to and recovering from sore throats, colds, infections, on-going tiredness, excess fluids, low immunity, swollen node and also for the physically inactive... So lots of benefits from all aspects of massage... Our skin is known as the largest organ of the body.

Go forth and enjoy, knowing that you are having one of the best treatments for your entire body. :)
 
luluohio and Poppet, I am interested in your massage.Is it done by a PT or a Massage Therapist ? I was just wondering if a therapeutic massage may help my groin strain/ tendinitis I don't have any significant back problems.Your planned career to follow retirement sounds intriguing Poppet cant wait to hear more
 
Poppet I didn't know this massage would actually stimulate the lymph system enough to make a difference. My massage therapist teaches these techniques at a school in Seattle. That would be a great second career. I would think some of the massage techniques would require a lot of muscle strength in at least some of the sessions I've experienced. I suppose they teach you the best way to achieve results while protecting your own musculoskeletal health. I'm glad these session are actually doing some good. It's not as apparent outwardly that it helped but anything that helps is a step in the right direction. Thanks for that information, very interesting.
 
luluohio I think Poppet may be a Natural Therapist as she has so much knowledge on natural healing products and her husband is the Massage Therapist.It must be lovely being married to someone who can help with these soft tissue problems. I hope you are having a nice weekend.
 
luluohio, Kim22, yes I am a registered Natural Medicine Practitioner. So I can write Natural Medicine prescriptions the same as a Doctor. I have a Provider Number. I can write personal leave certificates and my patients can claim from Medicare.

My main modality is Herbal Medicine, however, my study also included Nutrition, Biochemical Psychology, Massage, Iridology, Reflexology, Anatomy and Physiology.

Now I am launching into research into Natural Medicine and the connections to Medical research.. now you know.. Hahaha!
 
Thank you Poppet It sounds like a very I the resting and rewarding career and your expertise is well appreciated by us Bonesmarties
 
Poppet
How long have you been doing this? It sounds very interesting and rewarding. How did you get started in this field? How many years did it take you to get where you are right now?
 
Now that would be declaring my age... Lol... Needless to say, a very long time.
 
Poppet
I don't think it could be quite as old as I feel lately. Hopefully things will improve with time. Thanks for all your advice. You are so thoughtful to spend your time helping us, we need more people like you in this world.
 
Poppet I was just wondering whether you thought Glucosamine and Chondroiton has any value in prevention of O/A
 
Hi Kim22, they can both be very good in the early stages of OA, but once a joint has lost the cartilage it is very hard for G&C to replace it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom