TKR Just a little support...

30 days today. And, can I say Oweeee?!. I don’t know if my nerve endings are healing or if it was that front that went through last night but it is barking at me. Had PT today and I’m up to 105 ROM. Yay, but again Oww. No worries, anyone, I’m the one pushing. Not too hard, but I’m just vocal. Hope everyone has a great weekend. It’s so pretty here for a change.
‘Hey, anyone got a good way to keep my incision and only the incision covered? Will be out and about a lot the next few weeks and I’m a shorts kinda girl.

Reactions: RAD
I'm vocal at PT too. My ROM yesterday was about the same as yours, and I felt really sensitive yesterday too. I think this whole week has caught up to me since I went back to work Monday. Psyched to have time to rest and recover! Have a great weekend!

Back at work is tough, hope you have a relaxing weekend lined up.

Reactions: RAD
I am so happy. Managed to get the bike pedals all the way around yesterday. Both directions! Walking a mile every day. I am thrilled with my progress, other than still not being able to stay in the bed to sleep. I’m thinking about getting a wedge for both my knee and my head so it will mimic the recliner. Thoughts, anyone?

Happy 5week anniKNEEversary @RAD & @fenway09

@lopat, that is fantastic!!! Happy 5 week annKNEEversay to @lopat and @fenway09!

I'm having the same problem! Everything seems to be progressing really well but I still wake up a couple of times a night. I'm in bed with a pillow between my legs if I'm on my side or with a pillow under my left leg on my back, and even though I fall asleep, I wake up after about 2 -3 hours. I'm not sure how to improve that either.

Hopefully a kind soul on this forum will help us!!!!

@lopat - how great did you feel when you got those pedals around. I achieved that very recently too, and I sent my husband, kids, and sister a video of it I was so excited. Congrats!!

@klinkmcbear. Congratulations! My pt kept egging me on. She came over and started watching and kept saying, you’re so close, you’re so close. I wish I had video’d It. You’d have thought I did a 4 minute mile. I was so excited. I’m sure Julia (pt) thinks I’m a nutbasket. I was so happy. I think she was too. She made me sit on the edge of a table so she could measure my ROM even though she did it last visit.

I am thrilled with my progress, other than still not being able to stay in the bed to sleep.
It's only been a month since you had this major surgery. Unfortunately, sleep disturbance is almost inevitable. It's part and parcel of this recovery. So don't worry about where you sleep. It will sort itself out as time passes. For now, sleep where you can, how you can, and when you can.
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

So, yesterday I fell at the grocery. Not even sure why or how. Took a step with left leg. I think I didn’t pick my foot up high enough so I stubbed the ball of my foot on the ground. My knee buckled out to the left so I just went with it rather than try to stop. I couldn’t have anyway but I had visions of landing on that knee. Instead I took it on the chin and elbow. Lol. No one saw, no one came to my rescue. I laid there cursing until I could figure how to get up. Came home, realized I couldn’t straighten or bend arm and couldn’t twist palm up or palm down. So off to emergency room. They xrayed chin and elbow. Results were no fractures even though Dr. said I exhibited all the symptoms of elbow fracture.

Today, knee is certainly swollen. Doesn’t want to bend much, doesn’t want to straighten. I think it’s fine as far as new joint but I definitely wrenched it. I did call OS and leave a msg just to cover my bases. I have my checkup with him Thursday, so I figure I’ll see him then.

Ya’ll have a good week!

Oh no! I can't believe that happened to you, I'm so sorry. I hope you get good news when you go for your check up.

Take good care of yourself, I hope your elbow feels better soon.

Wow, what an experience. I'm glad to hear there were no fractures.

I think I speak for the majority whose worst nightmare is falling down on their new knee and breaking something.

Scary thought indeed I'm glad you're okay.

So, yesterday I fell at the grocery. Not even sure why or how.
I'm sorry you had a fall, but I'm glad you weren't hurt more.

Rest up now, look after all those sore places (you might find that icing helps them too) and cut back your activity. It really was a bit too soon to be going to the grocery.
Check what your activity level should be, by re-reading this article:
Activity progression for TKRs

That must have been so scary! I'm glad you weren't hurt worse. That's definitely a fear of mine.

Forgot to wish my Comrades in canes, Happy AnniKNEEversary.

I am healed from my fall. Elbow back to working, strangely no bruise. Blue chin is starting to fade. 6 week check up today. I expect it to go well. And then back to PT.

Have a great day everyone.

@lopat, I’m so glad to hear that you’re feeling better! My six week follow up is today too, good luck!

I fell at the grocery.
Praise God you are back to normal! Falling is something we all dread. I fell directly on my knee when it was just short of a year old. I broke my foot and ankle at that time. The knee's soft tissues were extremely angry, but did heal. I fell again a couple of months ago on cement right on my knee. Even without a patella to help protect the implant, it is fine. These things are very tough, more so than our bones! Falling hurts, but there's little chance of harming our hardware.

30 days today. And, can I say Oweeee?!. I don’t know if my nerve endings are healing or if it was that front that went through last night but it is barking at me. Had PT today and I’m up to 105 ROM. Yay, but again Oww. No worries, anyone, I’m the one pushing. Not too hard, but I’m just vocal. Hope everyone has a great weekend. It’s so pretty here for a change.
‘Hey, anyone got a good way to keep my incision and only the incision covered? Will be out and about a lot the next few weeks and I’m a shorts kinda girl.
Why do you need it covered? At 30 days you should be pretty well healed

Why do you need it covered? At 30 days you should be pretty well healed

As it is explained to me, the incision is supposed to stay out of the sun for quite awhile. Apparently, it makes the scar worse. I’m outside a lot. I’m looking for something to cover my incision

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back