Guest viewing is limited

THR June 7, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that all the meds have a lot to do with being thirsty most of the time.
 
I passed the 8-week mark a few days ago. Today, with my surgeon's permission, was supposed to be a post-surgery bike debut. But...it's raining. Can't complain too much. The summer's heat and drought has been hideous so any precip at all is to be celebrated. Instead, I'll do my PT while watching the Olympics and get ready to celebrate our daughter's birthday. (26--where do the years go?) Happy Saturday, everyone!
 
It is amazing how time doth fly by.. Enjoy your daughters birthday :)
 
The rain stopped, the trail dried off and I got reacquainted with my bike today. This was a completely flat trail along a levee and we rode 5 miles. I spent the first mile getting over my nerves, the next mile realizing that some muscles were probably wondering what in the heck I was doing and the last few miles just enjoying the ride. I was tired when we finished and had to lay my bike on the ground to dismount. But still--it was good to pass another milestone on the way to recovery. [Bonesmart.org] June 7, 2012
 
Congratulations on achieving another milestone.. Fantastic! And what a lovely photo, I can see the smile of 'phew!' got through that ok and it was good - 5 miles, that is a decent ride first time out. Excellent!
 
Oh, Linda, I am so excited for you!! I am so glad you posted a picture. I can't tell from it if you used the toe clips or not???
Five miles is quite a lengthy ride for first try!

Hmm, I forgot to ask my doctor if I could ride, but I guess if all restrictions have been lifted, I can. Funny, though, I am not as brave as you. I am going to try out on a stationary bike first.

You go, girl! YAY!

Hugs,
Elle
 
Let me see if I have this straight: Moveent is good. Sitting in a chair for a day- long conference, teaching a class and an hour+ in the car is bad. Got it. After weeks of being pain- free, I'm limping today. I could blame my schedule and console myself by thinking how terribly important I must be to have had such a full day. But one of the speakers yesterday said "the hardest person you have to manage is yourself." I'm back at the conference in about an hour, but I will stand for sections of it. During down-time , or boring speaker time, I'm tackling my calendar. What a unique thing it would be to schedule my PT and other exercise first and then fill in the other stuff. Lesson learned.
 
Yes, have to agree Linda. Sitting for long periods does not seem to agree with joint replacements. I have a special app that locks my PC at work every 45 mins for 2-3 mins.. Gives me time for some stretching or a walk, couldn't get through my 10 hour working days..

Even standing for a couple of minutes helps :)
 
Thanks for the lesson/reminder. I went to a coffee tasting event today and was more conscious of how much sitting, standing and walking I did thanks to your post. I did pretty well, ballroom type chairs not withstanding. I stacked a second one on top so I could be a bit higher and that worked great. I still have precautions. Made sure I got up and walked around, also.

So thanks for posting this!
Nancy
 
Lgastreich, I was wondering if you are still doing your Nordic Walking?
 
Hey, Poppet. Yes' I'm still using the Nordic Walkers. Still love them. I'm also still wrestling with finding the "perfect" balance of Work/PT/Rest.

My week ahead looks more manageable. I think I've dug myself out of the spot of having poured too much on my work schedule at the expense of the other two. It looks as if we have a break in our weather this week-end and we have some family coming into town this week-end. (So happy!!!!!). We had signed up for a cool 5k run, broken link removed: https://runforyourlives.com/overview-st-louis-mo/, long before I learned I would need surgery. So, most everyone will take part in the race and I'll relax on a blanket and chaperone the water and gear. We'll grill steaks one night and continue our quest for the finding the best pizza in St. Louis on the other. (We have it narrowed down--just need to go back and confirm some ratings!)
 
I am so jealous of your bike riding, and am hoping on hope I'll be able to hop on mine in another couple of weeks. I'm still having a fair amount of pain, but I feel like I'm close to a breakthrough in my PT. We did some stationary, and it felt fine. I feel pretty nervous about getting on the bike again, truth be told; but I'm pretty sure I remember how it's done :-) Congrats on a great recovery, Lgastreich!
 
I hear you on the balance thing. I have been working and attending events and such and skimping in the rest. Today I am paying for it. I am a week behind you. I keep thinking that by now I should be more recovered but it is what it is. We do our best and we learn every day who works for us. Enjoy your weekend.

Nancy
 
Lgastreich; so pleased you are still Nordic Walking, it is without doubt the best exercise I have found for myself. Love the sound of lazing back being the water person for the bike race. Sounds like a fun time, love the idea of researching pizza's.. :) regarding finding the right balance of work/rest/PT.. This is a tough one.. I have been quite lazy for the past 9 months and literally just used the lots of walking I do at work as my exercise. I tested it with my pedometer and found I was doing 5000 + steps a day just walking long corridors, floore, buildings to go to meetings, and I thought that will do! After work and weekends, I slept and rested after doing the chores.. I knew there would come a time when I could sense that my body, energy levels etc was ready to become more active - enter NW! But I still am lazy by comparison to others, but I am ok with that.

debkakes; I so get you regarding the nervousness about getting on the bike.. I have the most fabulous new red electric bike, just sitting in the garage tempting me.. But since I have discovered NW, I am preferring to have my feet on the ground.. I also tell myself... Maybe come summer!

trkkoa; yes, it is so easy to read everyone else's thread, particularly your surgery date mates and read something that indicates you might be behind.. You know we all do this, I most certainly did and kept saying to SO.. 'I should be more active, I should be doing more... Look at so and so... I am behind..' He was so patient, but I am sure he got sick of hearing it.. In the end I realized that I wasn't doing myself any favors by comparing myself to my BS friends, because it is my journey, and I had a different handicap when the starters gun went off for my surgery.. also I had a very dear friend on the forum who constantly said to me - it is a marathon, not a sprint.. You know that gave me permission to take it easier at my own pace and be kind to myself :)
 
trkkoa; absolutely Nancy... Human nature really.. Don't worry, I am still doing it, sometimes with success, sometimes not :)
 
Reading a book about sleep and saw this: "A professional baseball pitcher's body won't recover from the trauma of his last game in time for his next start without sleep for a number of reasons...Sleep is the time when the body sends growth hormones to repair damaged muscles."

It made the need for so much sleep early in recovery and even now much more understandable. I knew sleep is important recovery, but now have a little more understanding as to why.
 
Oh Linda Lgastreich;

So good to read your thread to hear how you are doing-you sound great! YES! Totally agree with the balancing game. But life is like that on all accounts, not just in THR recovery, I find. Here is a beautiful reminder of that by Ramdesh Kaur:
"Our lives are all about balance. Balance between the earthly and the divine. Balance between the positive and the negative. Balance between action and rest. Balance between the inhale and the exhale. There will never be a point where you achieve something and then you're done. Life is a dance of Shiva and Shakti. At all moments, we are dancing. Our cells are dancing with life, our blood is dancing in our veins, our nerves are dancing with electricity. We are the fire, the water, the earth, and the air. We are the ethers that shimmer in the unknown. The best we can do is enjoy the dance, so make it a good one, one worth remembering."

Oh, and what you just said about sleep...yes, absolutely essential for our healing.

Hugs from Elle
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom