THR June 20th left THR recovery

Hello everyone, I'm back from VA! Actually got back yesterday but I've been resting a lot today to recovery. Great vacation, lots of fun, but the 11.5 hour drive each way was tough. We stopped often and I iced during the drive (I bought an old fashioned ice bag and filled it at convenience places along the way), but it was still exhausting.

I had a couple of days there that I didn't elevate and ice enough, my leg/foot swelled and reminded me to do what was needed. And the last full day, I ended up walking over 3.5 miles through the day (16 days after surgery). Needless to say, today was mostly resting, icing and elevating.

Tomorrow I will take it easy again and then Monday have my first outpatient PT on this hip.

Hope everyone is doing well!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@susan12369

Wow! Pretty impressed that were able to go on vacation (and such a long drive too) so soon :loll:

I am glad that you are recovering so well! It is encouraging for me, as my surgery is not until next month (depending on my father's health). I have an event 6 weeks after my surgery (and only a few blocks from my apartment) that I really want to attend and going by what most people say, it will still be touch and go at the 6 week mark. You seem be an exception and I hope that your recovery continues to go so smoothly!
 
Careful with the PT tomorrow.
Don't let them push you too hard or make you do something that hurts. 3wks still very very early out.
You are doing great.
Joe....
 
Sounds like you are doing awesome @susan12369, so nice to get back to some semblance of a normal life! All the bad hip restrictions kind of sneak up on you and you miss so much pre surgery, glad you are enjoying your summer!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Lerwick8, at 6 weeks my right hip was strong enough to take over and my left hip was replaced. Everyone is different really but I would say that the timeframes are averages/guesstimates NOT set in stone. You may be surprised at how quickly you are able to do things.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Susan 12369 you are doing awesome. I'm glad you made it through your trip ok. And that's a lot of walking too. Good luck with your physio tomorrow. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
 
It sounds like your recovery is going very well. I agree about the PT - take it easy. I ended up going to only a few sessions. They didn't push me but my OS said I didn't need PT and I would do just fine without it and then I had read so many posts on here about it and Josephine said no PT. I do place a lot of faith in what she says. So I decided no more for me and lo and behold, I am doing just fine. I'm 10 weeks post op now and can do stairs and I can almost get that operated leg up to my knee (one of those self imposed goals :yes!:). Keep up the icing and elevating and you'll be back to all you want to do very soon!
 
@Lerwick8 I think your goal of attending an event at six weeks after surgery is really attainable. I am almost six weeks after surgery and I feel pretty good. Most days I have a lot of energy. We attended a wedding at 11 days after surgery. At first I was going to cancel, but I improved tremendously the second week after surgery. My Physical Therapist told me I could go. Two big problems ensued-One I couldn't fit into the dress I wanted to wear because my left leg was so swollen so I had to just find a boring dress to wear, and had to wear flat shoes. Second, on the morning of wedding my leg started cramping like no tomorrow!! I hadn't had any pain like that before. I was prescribed spasm meds, but I reached out to a couple of friends who recently had hip replacement surgery and they told me not to take the spasm meds unless I was lying down because they knock you out. So on the way to the wedding we stopped and I got a bottle of Gatorade and a banana. That worked, my next resort was pickle juice, which is supposed to help with cramping. I then bought a case of Gatorade and starting drinking it everyday at breakfast. It really helped with the cramping/spasms.
 
Hi, SoCalMom,
Have you ever tried Magnesium Glycinate for the cramping / spasming? It's good for relaxation of muscles and nerves, bone health AND promotes healthy sleep. Falling asleep and staying asleep.

My husband and my mom would both get those horrible leg cramps that bolt you out of a dead sleep making you jump to your feet. I've experienced these on occasion and afterward it feels as though some ones hit you in the calf with a baseball bat!

I hope all is going well with your recovery and wish you a happy Sunday!
 
Hi Susan!! So happy you enjoyed your trip!! You are doing great !! Its amazing reading stories like yours!! It's only up from here!! I am 2 weeks post op and doing great!! Its a whole new world!! Keep up the great recovery!! :)
 
@susan12369 and @SoCalMom ....Thank you for your replies and advice. I am having a posterior and should be at just about the end of restriction period by the time of the event, so that should be interesting.

@SoCalMom ...ughh..the dreaded though of not being able to wear tights, boots, and the skirt that I want to wear.:snork:
@susan12369 ..I am encouraged by your recovery and I will continue to follow your progress:flwrysmile:
 
Think positive @Lerwick8! It's definitely a daunting thing and overwhelming pre-surgery, but having gone through two now since the beginning of May, my advice is to follow your surgeon's recommendations (I received lots of conflicting advice, but figured that since I put my trust in my surgeon for the surgery, I should continue to trust him!) and hopefully everything will go even better than you expect as it did for me [emoji3]


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Lerwick8, the funny thing was I had to send my husband to the store to pick up a couple of items. My sister was in a complete panick that I had sent him to buy a new dress for me. Not a chance, first he is completely color-blind so God only knows what he would come home with, on top of ZERO fashion sense. I had a cute blue dress with silver high heels that I would have worn. Ended up in boring beige sack with brown sandals. Oh well, no one cares what I looked like.
 
Hey everyone, just checking in [emoji3] still doing well though I've noticed more discomfort on my almost 4 week old left hip after balancing on it - one of the exercises they gave me to do. Not sure if it's just too soon or what. Doing it is fine but when I take all of my weight off it then the bone or joint feels achy. Not sure if I'm explaining it right. Other than that it's going well, using a cane now to get around.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hello Susan.
Its great to see your recovery progressing along so well.
You know if that standing on one leg hurts at all I think I'd stop it at leat for a while. You know what they say.
If it hurts don't do it.
Joe....
 
I've been trying to stand on my operated leg too. The first couple times I had discomfort after too. Now I an do it for a bit but it's hard because the leg is weak. Physio told me I'd have to be able to stand on it for a minute before I can get rid of the walker so im hoping this next week. i wish you well. Cheryl

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Wishing you well too @cpollock! I left the hospital using crutches and am down to a cane now, though I don't use it around the house. Standing on the left side only is getting a little better, it's weird because I didn't have that issue on the right. Though I try not to compare the two, having them only 6 weeks apart makes that hard!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom