Guest viewing is limited

July 18th LTKR..what a shocker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bacon is always exempt.
And no Cheetos in Ireland??? I just learned something today.

@marmora, I'm getting my hair cut/colored as well today. My mom (who never misses her standing hair appt) said "What are you doing that for? Who is going to see you?" Sigh. I do it for myself.
 
What a long day today..I am exhausted. Bed at 3:30am and up at 7am to get to pre-op testing. Wonderfully informative nurses and some with a sense of humour. Shirley the EKG lady was telling me she felt "evil for thinking the young man getting an EKG prior to me was a wussy..girl, he screamed when I took off those tabs". So I made sure I didn't make a peep during the 1.5 seconds it took me to go to my "happy place" said Shirley. Anyway, the morning flew by.
The hospital tour and class is imperative to go to in my opinion. We heard from a trio of nurses: social worker, PT and pharmacology to discuss pain levels. They want the pain level to be at a 3-4..similar to "I have a headache and this person is talking pretty loud, but I can still function". I was hoping for a 2.

I was surprised to hear they keep me in recovery until the spinal wears off and only then take me up to my room then they start with the pain meds. "There will be some time of intense pain until the right meds kick in" This doesn't sound right to me. Anyone with a spinal have a comment on how quickly you were moved into the painkiller meds.

I found out my surgery was moved up from 9am Friday to 7:30 Friday..the first to be operated on. I was also reassured in hearing the nursing staff speak so highly of my surgeon. Out of 8 patients, I am the only one being operated on by Dr. B, who apparently takes a more holistic approach than the rest of his profession. I am the only one performing pre-op exercises and not the easy ones you can do on the bed. When I was shown a pic of the wall squats I'm supposed to be doing I thought "hmmm, if I can do those, I don't need surgery" Needless to say, those are the last ones I attempt. Anyway, long story I feel really comfortable with my doctor. Even though I can bound up the steps with the knees of a three year old, I can't really kneel and I do know I have excess inflammation..so I am at peace with my decision to go through with surgery.

Then at 3:30 my little slice of happy, my hair appointment. Heaven is getting my hair washed by someone else! Off to a client meeting, with wet hair, at 5pm....on the internet to finalize my ACA application (that could be the start of a whole new post/book), finalizing quotes and grocery lists. I am done.

Hope everyone is doing well choosing the upcoming decisions that are best for you.
 
They took me to my room but didn't start the pain meds until I said I was starting to feel some pain (mild) as the spinal wore off.
 
One more day and i think I'm beyond being nervous or maybe I'm just really tired.
Today I met with my OS other patients for an in office info session. I have a lot of faith in my OS and his staff..not so much at first, but he is very respected at the hospital so must be a reason. I was a little bit concerned after the meeting as he was saying "no problem with getting up and moving about..driving after a week as long as you aren't on pain meds, going out to dinner, walking on treadmill! etc etc". I realize you can be optimistic, but that struck as giving people false hope.

He has all of his patients on pre-surgery strength training as he says it helps with easier/faster healing. He is using 50% less pain meds than he did 10 years ago. He has us all using TENS unit and apparently it is placed on our knee after surgery and under wraps..so it is always available. He also advocated the Polar Ice thing.

While I don't see myself laying on the couch 20/7, I do see me spending the better part of the first few days at home mainly resting, icing and elevating..of course I know I need to move my leg and do my PT. In fact, I see myself resting etc for a few weeks...we shall see. However my knee speaks, I'll will adjust my schedule to that.

I'm not packed yet, have to work tomorrow, computer guy over at 5 to help with last minute issues...I really could use another day.
 
:flwrysmile:@harleysbud Just finished my 6am pre-surgery tea & toast, as surgery is at 3pm and fasting from now.

Read your recent post with a little surprised look on my face, your OS sounds very optimistic about the post-op time scale during recovery. I'd rather have a slower pace to recovery and again let my knee determine what I can do.

But, if this is your OS's protocol and it has proven successful with his previous patients, who knows ?

As you have been reading on the BS site, the "mantra" is of rest, ice, elevate and all the other information from those in post-op recovery that should also help guide you.

Hope that your day today isn't too hectic and best wishes for Friday.
 
I know, my thoughts exactly. It was in direct opposition to what the hospital nurses told me..so I'll have a go with them and ask their opinion when I'm in hospital.

I'm not going to push myself beyond what I am comfortable with.

Best of luck today...I'll be thinking about you and waiting to hear how you are doing on the "other side".:SUNsmile:
 
While I do think that being in better shape before the surgery helps (I think I was walking and had more stamina than last time when I was in worse muscle condition), your surgeon sounds unrealistic. There might be a few people who can do what he suggests but as you've read here--first week is ice, elevate, rest. You'll go to the john, move around from room to room a bit, do your ankle pumps and maybe some gentle movements but that's basically it.
 
UNBELIEVABLE....tomorrow's surgery was cancelled at 4pm today. Apparently I have a UTI and my primary doctor will not sign off. This is 13 hours before my surgery. I have everything all ready. I was mentally on board and looking forward to this.
Right now, I feel as if I am in a state of shock. I don't mean to be melodramatic. I can't even cry right now. Going into surgery is a mind game in my opinion, one that I really worked hard to accept what I needed to do..heck to even wrap my head around the fact this is what was wrong with my knee as I originally thought I had pulled, torn or had soft tissue damage.
Too much has happened in the past two weeks...it's been too quick, too soon. And now it's pushed back.
I cleared my entire work calendar; people were taking off work to help me..unbelievable how I have pushed myself past the brink a few times this week in order to get things down.
Now starting over from point one.:unsure::unsure::bawl::unsure::skep::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh:
ARggghhhhhh.
 
@harleysbud I know it must be very frustrating for you! But your doctors are just trying to do what is best for you! Wish they could have caught it earlier, lots of women get UTI's and don't know it until it gets bad. Hope they get it taken care of really soon and you get back on track.
 
@harleysbud I know how devastating this is for you, and I am so sorry this happened when you were all set! You also don't want an infection going right to your new knee joint! That would be really bad! Have you started a course of antibiotics yet? Once you start, they will probably want you to continue on it for 10 days to make sure the infection is gone. Meanwhile, I bet they will go ahead and reschedule as long as you are being treated. Hope you don't have to wait too long! I was lucky my UTI was caught early enough I could go on the antibiotics. I will take them until Sunday night for surgery on Monday. Keep us posted what happens and when you are rescheduled! Keep your chin up, you will get this thing accomplished!
 
@DianeJ..truly your support and wisdom are helping me through this. Yes, it's true it's much better to wait. There were just so many factors to take into consideration in scheduling this surgery. It will be very difficult for me,my business, family available the later I have to wait. But it is what it is.
 
Too bad your surgery is postponed, but for a good reason. I hope the uti clears up quickly and you can get stuff rescheduled.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom