• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR July 12th Surgery with Valgus Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was a wonderful day :happydance: my knee felt wonderful, no heat, no stiffness. I still took it easy though having learned my lesson about getting over confident. Didn't want to make that knee angry :headbang: :headbang:

I did my heel slides and had my husband measure my ROM. We bought a goniometer from Amazon. My bend was 146 :shocked: Wonderful what is possible when the knee isn't swollen! I have been taking it easy today because I want to continue to have good days, and keep that swelling down.

Today has started off great also. No stiffness,just mild heat from healing. Now THIS is the way it should be.

Hope everyone is having a good day :)

Great to hear how well you're doing, Titianlady!:egypdance:You've definitely got the right approach.

Just thought I'd let you all know how I'm doing. Since I have been using the anti inflammatory cream, I am feeling so much better. I have been swelling free for the last two days. :dancy: Today I even sat Indian style on my couch! I was chatting on the phone, wasn't thinking and just popped up there and got into position without thinking. When I finally realized what I did, I was stunned :shocked:

At first I thought, oh my gosh, what have I done. But I untangled myself without incident or pain, and then carried on. I think I have turned the corner a bit, and now with proper inflammation relief, I can look forward to the rest of my recovery with less stiffness.

Tonight I will ice and elevate, and take good care of my knee. I can't wait for what tomorrow will bring :happydance:

Hi all. Today went well! Knee is feeling better every day. I drove myself to the pharmacy and picked up a prescription, then hubby and I went shopping.
I didn't want to push too hard, but managed to walk the entire store just fine. Came home, elevated, put some ketoprofen cream on my knee, and watched some TV.

Later, I got dinner made, and now just elevating and checking out all the posts.

Things are so much better now that my swelling has been addressed. I sure wish ny Dr had given me this cream long before now!! It would have made a big difference right from the start. Well, that's in the past, and now I am moving forward faster than before.

Take care everyone. :)

That's so good to hear and yes, what a shame you didn't have the cream much earlier.

:happydance: :happydance: Well, it's official. I am sitting Indian style and loving it. It has always been my favorite way to sit since I was young. Popping right up on the couch, and knee just goes right there. No pain, no strain, just like before surgery. Soooo much better the last 3-4 days, that it is amazing.

Right now, I could not be happier

I don't even remember the last time I sat "Indian" style. Must be nice. Now that ketoprofen cream, what is it? Is it similar to that Voltaren gel? I see my OS next week and want to ask for something to help with my swelling.

Debbie_Joints, the ketoprofen cream that I had made up is like the Voltaren gel, but the percentage of ketoprofen (which is an anti inflammatory that is stronger than ibuprofen) was custom mixed for me. Voltaren gel usually only has 1% of the anti inflammatory ingredient.

The cream I got is 15% ketoprofen and I can have that amount increased at any time if I need more anti inflammatory relief. They compounded it in a cream type base that,according to the pharmacist, increases the absorption into the skin.

It has made all the difference for me. Since I started using it 3-4 times a day, I have seen my results jump like crazy. The internal swelling and tightness are just disappearing.

I am sleeping like a baby, don't wake up stiff or tight, and the knee is feeling normal. I'm no longer taking pain medication, just an occasional over the counter Tylenol.

I sure wish the Dr had prescribed this for me weeks ago.

I had a cry on the phone with my sister just talking, then all of a sudden started crying. She said what is wrong. Just that I want to be well, don't want this pain, and want to do things. We all get frustrated, it is just a part of healing.
When my husband is not here, I like to read so that helps me.
I keep waiting for that epiphany "I am so glad I had this done". I know it will come and at different times for all of us. I will just be glad when it is here.

Oh, tkrme, it WILL get better. You are not even a month out of surgery! I know the feeling and frustration sweetie. We have all had to go through that first month. That first month is the tough one. Things get better by week 6 , then more at week 8 and so on. Hang on and don't lose heart my dear. You will get there. Hugs for you dear heart.

Hi all. Today has been wonderful. My husband and I went out to dinner, and I got to get all dolled up! Hair done, makeup on, nice clothes, perfume, and i didn' even take my cane. I had been taking it with me before just in case, but no need at all tonight. My knee felt wonderful, and I got to wear a nice new pair of shoes! Sling back sandal with a kitten heel! It felt so good to be able to go out just like before surgery. We had a wonderful time, and I didn't think about my knee once.

This could be the start of something good!!

Hi all. Slept in today as my sleep cycle is still on recovery time! I have gotten so used to not sleeping until 3-4 in the morning, that even now that I'm not in pain or taking pain meds, my silly body is accustomed to those hours :gaah: When hubby and I came home from our night out, I was tired and went to bed at 11:00 pm, but after sleeping for an hour I was wide awake again.

So, out I came to the living room to watch late night movies until 4:30 am! I forced myself to get up at 7:30am to see if staying up all day would make me sleep tonight, but sure enough, fell asleep in my recliner until 11:00am.

Gonna take some time to get out of this night owl habit!

Oh, tkrme, it WILL get better. You are not even a month out of surgery! .
It really does. You are in prime frustration period right now.

Today was another great day. I am 10+ weeks out, and the worst I think is over for me. I am off pain med completely. Once in a while I will take a Tylenol if I walk too far at the shops. I elevate and ice at night just as a precaution to KEEP my knee Happy. The next 10 months to full recovery I hope will proceed well.

I will now not post on my thread unless I have a problem or encounter something just too good to keep to myself,as just saying how good my day is, must be pretty boring. I will continue to read and post in other threads to help everyone along this journey and provide comfort, encouragement, and lots of love. I am sooo thankful for the wonderful members(FAMILY!!) and the moderators, and to Josephine. This "family" comforted me, encouraged me, cheered at my successes, and saw me through the hard spots when I was blue, confused, and feeling alone. I hope I can return all those wonderful things in kind to others here.

As I said before, I am honored to be part of the BoneSmart family, and hope to do it proud.

Thank you for the kudos. I am delighted you are feeling so well.

Hi Titianlady, I hope your progess is still moving forward! You've got what it takes to do this recovery in the right way, slow and easy. How is your sleeping pattern, back to normal yet?

Stay well and stay positive my friend, great things are happening!:friends:

Hi Jackie, and thank you so much for asking!!! Even though I am 3 months out and doing well, I still get an issue once in a while that I come to my BoneSmart family to help me with. This recovery sure comes with some interesting and sometimes weird feeling issues! So many of the things are normal for the recovery, but we don't know that until we ask! I'm so glad I can come here and get answers ( and friendship) from everyone.
My sleeping pattern can still be a bit off, but I am trying to retrain my system to get used to regular bedtimes again. After months of sleeping when and how my knee decided, it going to take a bit to retrain myself, but it gets better every day. Of course, since I was up until the wee hours during the first months, I have discovered some great late, late, early, early, TV!! Now I want to stay up!! LOL thank goodness I can record those 3:00am programs!!

Yes,this whole recovery thing is a challenge to say the least! One day or week we are on top of the world and then, Boom, we are down flat, however we will get back up again and go forward! We learn more about ourselves through this whole recovery process than we ever thought possible! Life is..... And we keep on tick'n! :friends:

Hi,
I've just read your thread. Thanks for posting all the updates: as you said, it's nice to know all the worrisome quirks of recovery are actually pretty normal. I'm glad things have turned out so well for you, and what and amazing degree of bend you can achieve!

Thank you Jebsw. I was quite amazed myself!! My OS said he would make sure I got an implant that could achieve maximum flexation, and he sure did!! I am now at 152 degrees !! Now if I can just get my calf in order, and a bit more strength in my thigh. I am taking it one day at a time, and I'm sure that it will all come together in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Rkelley
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom