• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. BoneSmart will be unavailable from 8:00am - 10:00am CDT on Tuesday, May 21, 2024 due to required systems maintenance and upgrade.

If you are unable to log in, please check back later and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

TKR July 12th Surgery with Valgus Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titianlady

post-grad
Country
United States United States
Hello all. I had my Right TKR on 7/10/2012. That makes me just short of 6weeks post op. I had a knee that was bone on bone and deformed inward (valgus) knock kneed for years before I finally could not take the pain any more. When I came out of OR the Dr. Told my husband that I would have more pain than usual when I woke up because of the things he had to do in the knee before he actually put in the implant. Omg, he wasn't lying! Even the morphine which was a continual drip did not touch the pain. For the two days I was in hospital I was wishing I had not had it done and kind of wanted someone to put me out of my misery. Since I cannot take NSAIDSof any kind,and can only take aspirin if it is enteric coated,I had a real issue getting relief from the swelling. By day two,I was at 80 degrees of bend. Had I not been so swollen it may have been more, but I could not tolerate any more bending. By day 4 I was at 92. Now at 5.5 weeks I am at 130 degrees flexation. I'm at 0 degrees extension, but that fluctuates.
I still have an issue with swelling. Some days are great, and some are bad. Yesterday I felt wonderful and over did things I think. I was up and in the kitchen loading the dishwasher, making a simple meal, and did some laundry. Then I did mt Pt.
Today I am stiff, sore, and, of course swollen. This recovery takes lots of time, and I'm learning that getting impatient or doing too much does not help. I know that most of us get frustrated that healing and progress is a slow go.
We will make it though. Wishing all here less pain and better days ahead.

Titianlady Welcome to recovery!!! I have moved your post to it's own thread in the recovery forum so that any responses people make to you will not derail the other thread.

It sounds like you are doing very well!!! We all overdo things now and then in recovery. It's part of the forward and backward process of getting back to normal. When swelling comes, just scale back, ice, elevate and regroup as far as activity is concerned.

Thank you for the welcome! It is so good to have a place to come to to chat with others who have gone through this. Those who are fortunate to not go through this surgery can have a hard time relating to the issues it brings and what we are going through. As I told my husband, this surgery and more important, the recovery are not for the faint of heart. I am thinking of everyone here and sending good thoughts. Today I am spending most of it flat on my back, leg way up with ice packs. No exercise but a little bending and laying the leg out flat. It can be frustrating to feel so good and have the knee work without a hitch one day, and then be a swollen mess the next. Two steps forward and then one step back. I know this is normal for the short time I am out from surgery, but like everyone here,it feels like forever.
Does anyone here know of an herbal anti inflammatory?

New Chapter has a natural anti-inflammatory. I have heard Turmeric is an anti inflammatory. All natural remedies have side effects and you should proceed with caution. Ice and elevation help with swelling and inflammation, with minimal side effects.
Welcome to Bonesmart, sounds like you are on your way to recovery!

T Two steps forward and then one step back. I know this is normal for the short time I am out from surgery, but like everyone here,it feels like forever.

Right TKR July 10, 2012
Very true. Glad to hear you're icing and elevating. It's a lot of experimenting early on as to how much is too much activity.

Good morning everyone. Hope you all are feeling good today. I know nights can be the roughest part of the day. It seems like pain is always worse when we try to sleep. I finally Got a complete night sleep! At about 10 last night I started to get sleepy,so I took my pain med and didn't wake up until 9 this morning. YEAA!! Another milestone reached! Getting a full nights sleep is a big milestone for us TKR folks! My wish for everyone here is to finally sleep well. I know what those that are struggling to sleep are going through.
Today started out pretty well. I woke up for the first time relativley comfortable and didn't need to spend time "breaking loose" my leg so I could get up. I guess staying down yesterday and taking it easy did it. Yes, figuring out just how much is too much for the knee is trial and error. LOL no more cooking and doing laundry for me if I feel good one day. I sure paid for it.
A lesson for all of us. We are not that far out from surgery even if we feel good. Patience,patience,patience.

A hard lesson learned but timely!

Morning BoneSmarties! Well, today has been a day of stiffness and internal swelling. Since I slept so well night befor last, last night was a terrible night for sleep. I didn't get to sleep much at all. I tossed and turned until 4 in the morning. Then I slept lightly until 10 this morning. Woke up due to discomfort in my knee and. Terrible stiffness. It's now 1 in the afternoon and I took a pain pill. I walked around a little bit as the surgeon told me tha walking will move the fluid out of the knee compartment. Helped with the initial stiffness, but the knee is a bit hot to the touch. Getting my ice packs out as soon as I finish up here. Thank goodness I can lay down with my knee toes over nose and still be here with the rest of you wonderful folks. My hubby bought a new I pad 4 the day before my surgery so I could stay online! LOL typing on the I pad keyboard takes a bit of getting used to. I make a ton of typos and have to go back and correct. I miss a bunch, so please forgive me if my post looks a bit messy.
I go back to my surgeon this coming Monday for a checkup. My surgeon is a 2 hour drive from my home. ( so is the hospital that I had surgery. The drive post op was a bit rough) I'm afraid that when I get ther after sitting with my knee hanging down for 2 hours, it will be a swollen mess. I plan on stopping every 45 minutes, getting out of the vehicle, and walking and stretching it. I wish I knew where to buy those chemical dry ice packs. They use them in the ER. There are two chemicals in it separated by a thin barrier and when you crush the pack and they mix, it causes a really nice cold. They would be perfect for my trip. The weather here is hot, in the mid 100's.
I have had an issue with internal swelling since day one after surgery. It has been swollen more than not.

Just like everyone else, I am getting weary of it, and feel like I have been down forever. Bless my husband, he takes good care of me before he leaves for work, and when he comes home, but I think he is wondering when this ride will stop at the gate! I sure wish that they had a special class for family members that REALLY let them know what to expect and how difficult this recovery journey actually is. The classes that are available don't really address the issues and the difficulties and length of time healing takes. The one I went to said we would all feel human again at three months! That may be true for some folks, but not for the majority of us. It can make those of us that take longer feel like we are failing in some way! Thank goodness for Bone Smart!! Here I got the REAL information and I am so thankful. When I see the surgeon on Monday, I am going to mention this forum and see if I can leave the website address for future TKR patients.Well, time for ice and elevation. I will check back in a little while. I love to read all the posts, and can't imagine what I would do had I not found you all.

Hi there! Welcome! Ice is our best friend, isn't it. I'll be 4 weeks tomorrow. I have to be honest, I thought that at 4 weeks I'd be back to normal. Take care of your new knee. So glad that you found us!

Hi there! Welcome! Ice is our best friend, isn't it. I'll be 4 weeks tomorrow. I have to be honest, I thought that at 4 weeks I'd be back to normal. Take care of your new knee. So glad that you found us!

Hi Nyland! Yup, I felt the same way! I have always recovered from surgery ahead of schedule, and thought that I would. Be right as rain in 8 weeks. There was a woman at the hospital that had her second knee done the same day that I did. She said she was u
And back to work full time at a very physical job in 21 days after her first TKR! She was having her second one done 5 months after her first. The surgeon was proud of her and kind of held her up to the rest of us that day as an example to follow. She made all of us first timers feel like we would all be just like that. Since I've found you all, I know the truth. She was an exception, and not typical at all.
Thank goodness I found this. Forum because I was starting to feel like I was failing in some way, or a whimp.

EXACTLY!!! People told me these amazing recovery stories, too. I must say that those stories have made me feel very much less than amazing. Although, I still love to read them. They give me hope. Oh well. I am doing my best. You can't rush it, it is just not possible. I admit, in a way, I tried. Boy oh boy, my new knee put me in my place. I always read here that the knee is the boss. Until you LIVE it, you just can't understand it. GREAT chatting!

There are truly a lot of amazing recoveries that have not occurred in short periods of time. Any recovery that leads one to a pain free life with a working knee(s) is amazing to me.

There are truly a lot of amazing recoveries that have not occurred in short periods of time. Any recovery that leads one to a pain free life with a working knee(s) is amazing to me.

EXACTLY!!!! It doesn't matter if it takes a year, as long as that end result is a functioning, pain free knee!

I, too, agree. It took me a while to figure it all out, but I get it now.

I purchased some of those "chemical" icepacks at our local pharmacy. They only cost about a dollar and were very handy. I kept them in the car. They don't stay cold too long and are a bit small, but it's better than nothing. I would call your pharmacy first to see if they carry them.

I checked with Walgreen, and they have them! They even have their own Walgreen brand of them. Going to have a friend of mine go tomorrow and buy me a bunch of them to use on Monday on my trip to the surgeon.

Woke up this morning and immediately started crying. I have the blues so badly today. I know it is normal, but I am so tired of being in discomfort, not being able to do the things I want to, and i feel like this recovery is never going to end. I overdid it yesterday, even though I didn't think I did too much and my knee let me know this morning. I should know this depression is normal, but my body and brain took over. My husband works all day, and I am here alone all day. My friends work, so there is no one to come and visit. Thank goodness for all of you here.

So here I am, knee in the air like a can can dancer, flat on my back with tears running down my face. (or up my nose at this angle) Sigh...oh, for the light at the end of the tunnel..

Poor you :console2: - looks like you need some hugs. I haven't gone through any of this yet, but my mum went through TKR and hip replacement this year - so I know how you feel! The trouble is that you might try to rationalise but it still doesn't help when your emotions are all over the place.

It's a shame you don't have anyone to look after you or spend some time with you today. Is there anything you can fall back on to lift your spirits? A favourite film/ TV program you could watch? Some chocolate? Try youtube and find some funny videos?

Hope you feel better soon! :flwrysmile:

Oh,I too had a few bouts with crying, etc. I think the meds play a big part. It will go away. In the early recovery I did have one friend who was home and she would take me to Lowes or the. Grocery store to mainly ride their electric carts around the store and walk some. It heed me a lot to get out and made me tired which is always a good thing. Maybe your husband could take you fora spin after dinner. It's also a good thing to do when it's too hot to be outside. If u drive, maybe you could go by yourself after testing it with someone else. Being around other people helped me.

Hang in there

At your stage I wept like it was an Olympic event! Odd thing was, I invariably felt better for a good boo. I think it releases endorphins or something! I just know to not see it as a negative thing but all part of the process. As the man once said "this too shall pass"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads