Bilateral TKR July 1 LHop - Bilateral TKR Recovery Thread

Hi, @LHop, Great to hear from you!

And wonderful that you are improving. Weird that your OS and your PCP are so uptight about the meds. I was on a pretty strong narcotic and stopped taking it the moment my pain dropped, with no ill effects--never looked back. Only a tiny fraction of people ever get a dependency from taking these meds for pain, blah blah, you have heard me on this before. :-)

Just that I hate to think of you in pain you don't need to feel. I am on tramadol now, too. The pain is no longer that deep bone pain, but instead all the inflammation around the joints. It really hurts sometimes. 1 tramadol does it sometimes, but not all the time. I take 2 whenever I feel like it, without guilt because hey, no one told me to drop the stronger meds, I just did it, so I get 2 tramadols whenever I want them, which I know will be less and less.

Just a little BTKR bonding topic here: Are you sick of pain, period? I am so tired of managing pain, icing, thinking about knees. Sometimes before I stand up, I need to give myself a little stern talking to, because I just want to avoid the pain. Going down stairs is ouchy, and it's usually fine, but sometimes just gets old.

I have not started outpatient PT. My knees get pretty sore just from walking around more and taking subways, etc. I know I need to strengthen the quads, etc. all the stuff that got weak over a few years of hobbling around slowly. But my knees don't seem to feel up to it yet, so I will wait a few more weeks to really push. Take it slow in PT . . . our knees are still pretty new!

It is sad that our pal @iivesfam5 is on radio silence. Girl, if you are listening, we miss you.

@LHop, enjoy the last few weeks of summer with your girls. When do they go back to school? Mine goes back Sept 9. Late this year! xxoo
 
@jbrooklyn you are singing my song! I have been living with pain in my knees for over ten years. I would love to not think about pain for even one day. What will that be like? No icing, no thinking about the steps up or down, no pain meds, no thinking about standing, or sitting. Glory days!!!

My youngest daughter goes back to school on the 24th. She takes her driver's license tomorrow so send good thoughts her way if you think of her. My oldest is 21 and isn't in school. She is getting married October 22nd, so we are in the throes of wedding planning :roseshwr:
 
Hi, @LHop--I hope you are continuing to feel more mobile, and that your daughter passed her driving test. Also that wedding planning is adding some fun to your days. You should be in decent shape for a good dance or 2 at that wedding. :-)
 
Hi, LHop. Yes, definitely good we have each other to see us through.

So sorry you have pain management issues--have you tried talking to your docs about it? Every study supports adequate pain management as best way to get good healing results . . . it feels like no fair for you to be skimping on the meds if you need them. I am no fan of strong pain meds, but what is worse is strong pain. Wondering if your husband could advocate for you. I am definitely taking more meds now that my knees have this tendonitis nonsense happening.

Anyhow, you mentioned feeling like things were going backwards in certain ways . . . what's up with that?

Good wishes as we round the corner to 8 weeks.
 
@jbrooklyn Probably just feeling frustration over my pain level and slow progress in my movement. I am also having trouble sleeping soundly. I sleep for short periods and then am awakened, from pain and stiffness or my hubby's snoring, then have a hard time to go back to sleep. This too shall pass.

On another note, does anyone have any suggestions about treating our scars? I get a lot of tightness and pain in them at times. It feels like they're going to split. I am using Maderma at night, but it still gets uncomfortable.
 
Oh, yeah, we can sing this one in 2-part harmony. We knew going into this that it was going to be a long haul, but living it is something else entirely, isn't it. Someone else referred to this phase of healing as the Wailing Wall. Sometimes I start thinking: I DID make the right choice here, right? One of the older hands around here said 12 weeks feels amazing compared to 6 weeks. Well, 8 weeks is feeling a lot like 6 weeks, so the next 4 weeks better get us somewhere good.

So sorry to hear that about sleep. I am usually an insomniac but during this recovery phase, I get at least 6 good straight hours--can't explain why. I will back off after this, but just one more thought about petitioning the doc for adequate pain meds: If your doc were waking up in pain and stiffness, wouldn't he take more pain meds? Seems unfair that you are suffering and losing sleep because of your doc's hangup. The moment you don't actually need the meds, you won't reach for them. All right, please excuse, I will now resume minding my own bees wax. :-)

About scars, some people seem to like Bio Oil. I know what you mean about them seeming tight sometimes, but mine don't feel like they could split. @Raffs, was it you who recently mentioned something good to put on scars?
 
Oh, yeah, we can sing this one in 2-part harmony. We knew going into this that it was going to be a long haul, but living it is something else entirely, isn't it. Someone else referred to this phase of healing as the Wailing Wall. Sometimes I start thinking: I DID make the right choice here, right? One of the older hands around here said 12 weeks feels amazing compared to 6 weeks. Well, 8 weeks is feeling a lot like 6 weeks, so the next 4 weeks better get us somewhere good.

I think the same thing! I know it will be worth it in the long run, but living the recovery is harder than reading about it! I agree 8 weeks feels just like 6 weeks. Come on progress!!! There is a chance that I will be going back to work soon. My job is mostly a desk job, but I can't even fathom sitting upright for 8 hours.

So sorry to hear that about sleep. I am usually an insomniac but during this recovery phase, I get at least 6 good straight hours--can't explain why. I will back off after this, but just one more thought about petitioning the doc for adequate pain meds: If your doc were waking up in pain and stiffness, wouldn't he take more pain meds? Seems unfair that you are suffering and losing sleep because of your doc's hangup.

Yeah, this sleep thing is a new wrinkle for me. Quite frustrating. I'm going to hope it will resolve itself soon. I agree about the meds, I made a call today since I am almost out of my Oxy. As suspected, the doc wants me off of it, so I asked the nurse about going back on Tramadol. They called in a prescription. The question is the dose and how often I get to take it. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for being my advocate/cheerleader! :yay: Seriously don't know where I would be without your, and others, support on this forum. Probably in the looney bin!
 
I keep trying to get off of the Percocet, and my doctor keeps insisting that I take it. He wants me on it to make sure I don't have pain that impedes my progress. I still take the muscle relaxer (Robaxin) too. He did write me a script for Tramadol, so I may try that this week and see whether it makes a difference what drug I take. Not to be too graphic, but I would really like to be "regular" again (yes, I mean in the restroom), and the drugs make that difficult.

It is nice that I don't have to worry about my doctor fighting me when I want a prescription. That really stinks that your doctor keeps making your life more difficult.
 
@LHop my PT used Palmer's Cocoa Butter to massage my knee/incision. It felt so good I bought a tub myself for my days off PT. Now I won't be without it. Josephine came home on Tramadol, so hopefully it'll do the trick for you. I can't tell you what week 6 or 8 felt like due yo my complications week 4-8, but week 12 felt good enough to go back to work part time. So that was feeling pretty good!
 
@jbrooklyn I'm using Bio Oil. I know that @CATSMUM is using Palmer's Cocoa Butter, same as @KarriB

Totally agree that 8 weeks feels the same as 6 weeks!!!

I'm working 3.5 hours a day at home this week (increasing to 5 hours next week). I work for an hour, then sit on the sofa for 30 mins. I strap an ice pack around my knee and alternate between sitting (with it slightly elevated on a foot rest) and elevating it on a chair. Not sure how this will work when I'm working in a tiny office on an exhibition stand at a conference in three weeks!!
 
I am finding Tramadol works great, but I often need 2 50 mg tabs to beat back the pain. Script is for 1-2 every 6 hours as needed. I often start with one to see if it is enough then pop another when the answer is "Nope! Bring it on!"

LHop, if I know your doc they will write your script for 1 tab. Please tell me I am wrong! :-) Also for what it is worth, I am no longer experiencing bone pain at the BTKR sites, "just" (just?!) soft tissue pain, which is not minor. Tramadol calms it down. But if you've still got bone pain from the surgery, not sure if it is heavy duty enough.

Good thing about Tramadol is that it does not (for me anyhow) affect the regularity thing. Nice to be off the senna! (Such elegant discussion topics, but it's good to share info.)

@KarriB and @Raffs, thanks for sharing your knee condiments of choice. Raffs, wishing you well with work today and every day. I don't go back till mid-Sept. to my office job.
 
@jbrooklyn You called it! I got "Take one every 6 hours as needed for pain," and the prescription is for 30 pills. Hah! My husband said, take two if you need two and get a refill when they run out. One is working well for now, but I haven't had much activity the last two days unless you count Netflix and reclining :) I will see how I feel when I get some exercise tonight.

I am happy to report that I got a good night's sleep last night, not as much waking up from pain. Thank you Tramadol!
 
LOL. It is funny, I have that guy's number! But that is a crying shame. 30? I have half a mind to send you some, but whoops, I think that is illegal, so no no no. I like your husband's attitude. Knowing you can safely take 2 if you need to is probably comforting. You can also take Tylenol. I like to stagger so I'm taking something every 3 hours to keep pain back, while I've got this heinous tendinitis. Anyhow, so glad you slept better--it makes ALL the difference!
 
I'm using Bio Oil. I know that CATSMUM is using Palmer's Cocoa Butter, same as Karri

I purchased some Vitamin E oil from Trader Joe's last night and rubbed it liberally across my kneecaps and scar. It feels WONDERFUL. I know this sounds nuts, but it almost felt like my knees were more lubricated and looser afterwards. Remember, I had that rash and have been using some prescription ointments to knock it out, so my skin has been feeling pretty tender. That Vitamin E oil was just the thing for me!
 
Hi All,

I had finally had my appointment with my OS today. We had to reschedule my six week follow up because he had a death in the family, I found out today that the death was his son who was only in his 20's. So sad!

He was very pleased with everything, progress, range of motion, etc. In fact he didn't see the need to schedule another appointment, good news. He said when I went back to work was up to me. He also said that it's important to continue the rehab stretches and exercises for a year, which I guess makes sense.

After talking with my husband, I have a plan for returning to work. I'm starting back on the 15th for a few days a week which is 10 weeks after surgery. The nice thing about my job, is that I can always leave early if I am "done".

I was out from 10:00 until after 3:00 and I felt pretty good. I hope that bodes well for my progress!

Hope you're all doing well!
 
@LHop Great report on your progress, despite the tragedy your OS experienced. Kinda puts our knees in perspective, doesn't it?

@MsBlue Tried to find some Vitamin E oil, but was unsuccessful. Initially, on advice from my wife, I massaged it with unrefined cold pressed virgin coconut oil. Felt wonderful, softened the incision, and actually seemed to relax the tightness somewhat, just as your Vitamin E. For some reason, I deviated from that to try a liquid silicone lotion I found in a drug store. Didn't come close to the coconut oil results, so I went back to that today. Feels much better already.

Also, took our puppy for her first walk since surgery. Didn't go far, maybe a 20% of our regular route, but kept my balance despite her pulls and tugs - and she's a strong young lady. That felt good, too.

Trying to ration my Tramadol, since I'm down to just 8 with no refills. Most nights I can get by with Aleve and my normal restless leg syndrome med (Mirapex). Still taking naps during the day when fatigue sets in, so some nights sleep can be a bit inconsistent. If it gets too bad, I still have some Xanax left over from pre-op. That knocks me out pretty much the whole night.

Only have 4 scheduled PT sessions left, then I'm on my own. Will be nice when that 12-week mark approaches; I'll be 8 weeks Monday and ROM is still a struggle, although it's become fairly consistent. I can tell both my legs are stronger and more stable, however, and that's what I'm building on until the swelling and stiffness finally go away.

A very good and restful night to everyone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there--Wonderful that you were out from 10-3 with no ill effects, and that your doc thinks you are doing well. What a horror, to lose a child that age--I cannot even fathom that lose. A parent's nightmare.

I'm planning to start back right around mid-September, too, but working just a couple half days, then building up by October to F/T. I hope we can do it, LHop! How is your energy during the day, and are you able to sit in a chair and stand up again without much ado? I'm not there yet, at all. I have an office job but also need to travel around NYC visiting schools, some of which are 5-floor walkups, so that ain't gonna be fun for first few months till I get back stamina and strength. Maybe we can pep talk each other through the return. :-)
 
LOL. It is funny, I have that guy's number! But that is a crying shame. 30? I have half a mind to send you some, but whoops, I think that is illegal, so no no no. I like your husband's attitude. Knowing you can safely take 2 if you need to is probably comforting. You can also take Tylenol. I like to stagger so I'm taking something every 3 hours to keep pain back, while I've got this heinous tendinitis. Anyhow, so glad you slept better--it makes ALL the difference!
LOL I had the same reaction! I have Percocet I don't need, my OS was very generous. But, you know, it's illegal. What about asking your primary care doctor?
 
@jbrooklyn As I mentioned in a post on your feed, my celebration about being out for so long without feeling too bad was short lived. Had much more pain the last few days. Feeling old, sore, and cranky!
 
Hi @LHop -- sorry to read you are not having such a good day. It is always difficult when we have a good day and then pay for it the next. I found with my hip replacement recovery that I would challenge myself to gauge where my recovery boundary was, but tried to factor in that I may not feel so well the next day. Slow and steady honey, you will get there :)

Did you know how the body goes about the process of healing following surgery (or an injury)?

Here is an article which explains this process.... :)

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

This third link refers to my ongoing research..

nutritional-snippets-did-you-know
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom