BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Juanita's Hip Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Ryesgma, May 12, 2019.

1. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    So is the pain in the hip joint itself?
    Are you using a cane to keep weight off it, and does that help any?
    Just trying to understand exactly what hurts and when?
    Have you been icing whenever possible...I know it has been 5 months but ice usually is very helpful.
    Hope this new doc has some answers for you...:console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Good Morning @Ryesgma
    I'm wondering what the date is of your appt with the new surgeon?

Not sure what you're taking now, but if its "nothing" you could try Extra Strength Tylenol at 4000 mg per day. Taking 1000 mg every six hours, not to exceed 4000 mg within any twenty four hour period. You would also need to calculate in anything else you're taking that contains Acetaminophen to stay within the safe range of no more than 4000 mg per 24 hrs.

Without really knowing exactly where your pain is, how often it hurts, it's intensity, or origin, it's difficult to tell you how to address it. Try heat, try ice, try alternating the two. Try rest, gentle massage, whatever you feel may bring you a measure of relief as you wait.
    Wishing you comfort and relief.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Layla

Well, it's your Five Month Anniversary, today and I wish you were feeling better so we could celebrate it.
    Hopefully your pain has eased somewhat since you last posted. I hope your appt with the new surgeon isn't too far off. Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day.
    @Ryesgma

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Ryesgma

Ryesgma member

@Layla thank you so much :loveshwr: I too wish I was actually pain free at 5 mos but apparently it wasn't meant to be . My pain actually is getting worse:oyvey: and unfortunately my appointment with the new os isn't until 9/26 . I'm seriously considering just going back to the ER and hoping that they will order a CT scan:prayer: we shall see. @Mojo333 the pain is right in the joint and the front and side of my thigh , it hurts directly in the joint when I walk , sit , lay down etc. It also hurts when I touch certain areas around the hip and incision site:thud: I am taking Tylenol with little relief and icing as well. Praying tonight that I can sleep:angel: I hope that you guys had a great labor day weekend:yahoo:

5. Layla

Good Morning,
    I'd consider doing "something" if I was in pain that was miserable and escalating. Twenty Three more days is a long time to wait in the physical state you describe.
    I hope you got some sleep last night and you're feeling a little better today.
    @Ryesgma

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Ryesgma

Ryesgma member

Good evening , I did end up going to the ER on Tuesday:thumb: they ran blood work and did both a CT scan and a MRI along with doing an ultrasound on my leg to make sure no blood clots. Good news no blood clots and the only thing the Dr said about my CT was that there's scarring around my hip:oyvey: not exactly sure what can be done for that ? Haven't received any information about the MRI yet , I emailed my surgeon today for his opinion. I do have an appointment with my primary Dr on Wednesday so maybe she can help me :angel: any info on this would be great.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Layla

Hiello, It's good to read you went to the ER and they're ruling things out. Let us know what you hear on the MRI and your surgeon's opinion on all. Best of luck with your appt with your PCP on Wednesday.

You're taking positive steps in the right direction. Hopefully the origin of your pain is revealed soon so it can be dealt with effectively. Stay in touch, we're here for you.
    @Ryesgma

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Ryesgma

Ryesgma member

Sorry I haven't gotten back with you guys in a while , I've been busy trying to take care of my husband (threw his back out) :elevate: but I did email the surgeon who did my replacement and asked for his opinion on my CT scan and MRI , I have a telephone appointment with him this Friday :thumb: I also will be seeing my primary care doctor on Wednesday , and I still have my second opinion appointment on the 26th . Trying to figure out what is going on and what the next step for me is:yes!:hope all is well with you guys and that everyone is doing well and not struggling with pain . :flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh my stars...sorry about your husband's back problem.
    Tell him he has to wait his turn until you get this hip thing worked out:giggle:
    Sounds like you have several consults and I am hoping someone has some answers.
    :fingersx:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  10. Layla

Hello Juanita :wave:
    I'm so sorry. When it rains it pours. Hope hubby is feeling better.
    Wishing you the best for your appt on Wednesday with the PCP and your phone appt with your surgeon on Friday. Please keep us in the loop. We'll be here.
    @Ryesgma

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  11. CricketHip

CricketHip FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

@Ryesgma I am catching up with your thread, I am so sorry you are struggling so. Glad to read about the ER visit and subsequent CT scan and MRI. Good luck with your Friday phone appointment. Will be anxious to hear about that AND your upcoming second opinion.
    Wishing for you resolution and soon! :prayer:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Ryesgma

Ryesgma member

Had my appointment today with my PCP and it went well:yes!: she's not sure what to say about my tests regarding ongoing hip pain , that was a bummer:shrug: but did tell me that getting 2nd and 3rd opinions is a good thing . And right now I have no other conditions going on that would cause my hip pain yay :yahoo: I was given migraine meds and some more pain meds should I need them . I'm so looking forward to Friday and my phone appointment with my original os . I will update as soon as I get info from him :dancy:

• Like Like x 3
  13. Layla

Hi Juanita,
    I'm happy for you that they continue to rule things out, but it's not getting to the origin of your pain so it can be resolved. It will be interesting to see how the phone consultation with your OS goes on Friday.
    Stay in touch and let us know his thoughts. Until then...take care.
    @Ryesgma

• Friendly Friendly x 2