Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jozilla Part 2 - 9/8/14 LTKR

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my rom
Measured 65 yesterday but I am having a problem getting my knee flat.
My leg seems very swollen.
It sounds like you are doing everything par for the course, so to speak. Getting ht knee flat (extension) can be an issue early on, and, considering that you just had your surgery, it is not anything to worry about---at all!

The leg will be swollen---remember what surgery did and all of the trauma that the surgical knee received.

Will be coming soon and I can go home tomorrow!
That is great news!! You will feel much better psychologically when you get home!

Please keep these posts coming! We are looking forward to reading of how you are doing!
 
Jozilla , congratulations on your tkr. I suppose you need to follow the mantras especially the pain management . I certainly will when its my turn and im not imply ing that you are not !!! Best of luck to you. Have a merry Christmas.
 
Things are going very well. My pt said I was his
Model patient. He was hoping I could help motivate some others who are having great difficulty. I hate to say it but two men still cannot or will not even use a walker. They were screaming / crying and as of yesterday they were told they could not go home but were going to rehab. They had the same surgeon as I did. I did speak with one who was not wanting to take pain meds. I told him he had to take something and there are so many choices. Also told him I thought that is why IMO I was able to do so well. Our doctor gives all of us two 12 hour OxyContin and we can have two oxycodone every three hours as needed. I have stayed on a strict schedule of what he lets us take. I also told him and his wife about bone-smart. I have been very fortunate with the pain - I am so thankful to my OS for believing in good pain management. I am fortunate because pain medication doesn't make me sleepy at all. The nursing staff has also been phenomenal and are in your room as soon as you buzz them. The nurses have spoiled me and make sure you always comfortable and medicated correctly. They also believe in ice and elevation. I will continue shortly! Thanks to bonesmart I was well prepared for everything.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I have been very fortunate with the pain - I am so thankful to my OS for believing in good pain management.
That is great! Pain management is vitally important!

I am fortunate because pain medication doesn't make me sleepy at all.
Wow---mine nocked me into a giant cotton ball and slept most of the time---you are indeed lucky!

he nurses have spoiled me and make sure you always comfortable and medicated correctly.
That is wonderful! Those care-givers are truly the angels that help us in those early dark days of recovery! They make all of the difference in the world!

Please keep these posts coming!
 
So day 3 in hospital my regular GP and a blood specialist came and pulled me out of morning P.t. They said that my blood platelet count was a little under 100,000. They ordered an ultrasound of my rtkr leg to make sure I had no blood clots. I could not go to afternoon p.t. Until they got results. Thankfully no blood clots and tkr looked great. But I have to Go to blood specialist next week to see if he can figure out what is causing this low blood platelet count. Anyone have any info on this i would appreciate hearing from you. After this stressful episode I had one more day to go. Everyone was woken up at 4:30. We washed up took our medication, had breakfast, and had p.t. P.t sessions were always about an hour and very mild. Our coaches - in my case my husband and all the patients were given a special lunch which was excellent. We then had our last p.t session and started getting released. I was home by four. Car was a little difficult but put plastic bag on seat which helped. To be continued...


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Car was a little difficult but put plastic bag on seat which helped.
My car ride home was not the best, either---I remember it quite well (not too fondly, though.)

I cannot answer your platelet questions---I will, though, tag Josephine and perhaps she can give you some of her wisdom in this area.
 
Sorry, haematology is outside my area of expertise.
 
Hi JoAnne ... Quick drop in to say I hope you can get your blood count issues sorted quickly and get on with the business of recovery.

You're a genius - I never thought of putting a plastic bag on the seat of the car to make sliding easier.

Hope your pain is kept under control and your recovery goes smoothly.

Take Care ...
Ellen :xgrin:
 
Hi Ellen - Someone here suggested it awhile back and I was just a genius to remember it. Lol. I will hopefully catch my posts up soon. The biggest issue I have have right now is exhaustion. It feels like I am beyond drained. The second would be abdominal pain. I don't know if I am using those Muscles more or it is from the daily levonox injections. Thanks for stopping by but I need another nap! Will write soon - joAnne


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Well everything has gone according to schedule or better. I have some pain but pretty much has been controlled. I believe it has everything to do with the icing. I have been icing nonstop at night and for what seems like hours during the day and elevating as well. It seems that once my swelling went down so did most of my pain. Now my goal is to keep the swelling down for good. Just finished up PT at home. That went well so next week I go to outpatient with the same PT. I am on a cane but am to use walker if needed. So far so good. Have gone up and down stairs and walked around outside today with just a cane. Am doing hardly anything. I have a lot to be thankful for this year and hope the other supernovas are doing well.
 
Thats great news. Sounds like you are following the mantras to the t. Way to go!. You are the model bonesmart patient. I will read your posts with interest. Im in pre op with 50 days to go. Can you tell me from a 1-10 scale. How bad was or is the pain at its worst ???? I think thats my biggest concern. I have been reading as much as I can from bonesmart. I soo ready ! Keep up the great work
 
Well everything has gone according to schedule or better. I have some pain but pretty much has been controlled. I believe it has everything to do with the icing. I have been icing nonstop at night and for what seems like hours during the day and elevating as well. It seems that once my swelling went down so did most of my pain. Now my goal is to keep the swelling down for good. Just finished up PT at home. That went well so next week I go to outpatient with the same PT. I am on a cane but am to use walker if needed. So far so good. Have gone up and down stairs and walked around outside today with just a cane. Am doing hardly anything. I have a lot to be thankful for this year and hope the other supernovas are doing well.
Hi JoAnne: My surgery was a day after yours and I'm doing great also. It certainly pays to follow the Mantra :)
I have not needed to ice much at all --primarily after the CPM machine and PT. I see the OS on Monday to have sutures removed then should be released from home PT and go to the outpatient clinic. It will all depend on when they have slots available. Best wishes for a continued recovery.
 
Hi Jozilla
Glad to hear you did so well.
I arrived home about 2 pm Friday from my 2nd knee replacement on tues dec 12
Unfortunately hospital was not supportive ..the nurses kept doubting dr orders for pain relief and denying treatment. Dr raised h88ll on Wednesday and Thursday both about it.

My swelling is much less this time and fewer surgery issue( no breathing or heart racing like last time)
For these I am VERY grateful

Back onto Bonesmart routine as I control my own regimen at home now!

Wishing you continued healing from another supernova!





Happy healing!
Kathy

Right TKR Dec 17, 2013
Left TKR Oct 15, 2013

Background:
Diagnosed bilateral bone on bone and OA knees Oct, 2012
Implanted intrathecal pain pump. 2008
4-6 additional herniated disks (lumbar and thoracic), 2004-now
Replacement damaged neck disks (c3-c5) 2004
 
So glad to hear from all of you! It does really help to have your support. @kneeper thank you!! @icep707 I honestly cannot believe the surgery went so smoothly. I was terrified of spinal which turned out to be the best thing ever. Recovery was immediate. I was also concerned that my pain would not be controlled as I take Norco on a regular basis for my back issues. It seemed the spinal kept me numb completely for about five hours. In the meantime mg OS started me on OxyContin long lasting - one every 12 hours - and kept me on that the entire time I was in hospital. I would say my pain maybe got to a 7 coming off spinal but nursing staff immediately got me two 5 mg oxycodone for breakthrough pain and that was the highest it ever got to. I was given oxycodone one to two tablets every 3 hours and they left it up to me if I wanted one or two. I always took two. The pain was well managed in the hospital. So many patients were amazed by what I was able to accomplish and said they were clueless as to what was involved with the surgery. I told them all about bonesmart. To me it is amazing you wouldn't learn all you could about such a major surgery. In my case I want to know even about a minor surgery. Don't be afraid of the pain. If you feel you need more medication speak up. If a nurse seems unresponsive keep at her requesting she contact your OS. I was very fortunate. One nurse especially was kind and helpful to me. It is always good to have that kind of caring ally. @chihauchuan I am glad to hear you are also doing well. It is sort of surreal. I have lost all concept of time which is probably the meds. When I came home the pain meds script was one 5 mg oxycodone every 3 - 4 hours. I haven't missed one. The pain is unexpectedly not bad. If I had to describe it right now it feels like there is a piece of cut up fence where my knee is and I get little tugs or twinges of feelings which must be my nerves starting to work. I have found out my OS just pushes the quad out of the way and maybe this is why I feel so good. My staples come out Tuesday. I can't wait. They will not let me shower though I try and take a semi shower as I cannot wait. I am hoping that is my Christmas present to me! To have a nice long shower. @GeekGoddess I was hoping to hear from you. You have gone through so much. I dont understand how your doctor's medication orders would not be followed. I would have loved to have heard that conversation. Just dealing with one tkr has been enough to deal with. I too need my other knee done but am going to get my strength back first. Strength seems to be my major issue. I also got the nerve up to see the doctor who saw me in the hospital about the low blood platelets. I have appt January 6th. He is an oncologist hematologist which also scares me. Of course I looked up on line and understand why my GP was so concerned. I figure I better face it instead of ignoring it and try to find some resolution. That is my next challenge to start with in 2014. Thank you all so much for caring - it does mean a lot!
 
Jozilla, you are amazing! My recovery so far is also going well. although the pain med makes me feel very sleepy. I'm supposed to take a double dose before my first outpatient PT on Monday, but I'm afraid I might sleep through the therapy, LOL! Happy Healing! - Carolyn
 
Hi Ellen - Someone here suggested it awhile back and I was just a genius to remember it.
:blush:

pain med makes me feel very sleepy. I'm supposed to take a double dose before my first outpatient PT on Monday
I advise against, it would allow a damaging amount of bending. Just don't let anyone hurt you, and make it clear before you start that you won't allow anything beyond discomfort.

Remember, healing = no pain, more gain. It's training that's no pain no gain, and you're not training
 
Thank you Carolyn! Not much makes me sleepy so two pain pills just make me feel good. I was exhausted though after this surgery. Just starting to get rid of that feeling. I have been very lazy. I have not done much at all besides washing up and my PT exercises. It sure is going to be a different Christmas though everyone is doing for me. I love your avatar. Is that Ziggy? I lost my chow rescue three years ago this week. She was almost 16 and my soulmate. Never liked too many adults and was fiercely protective but had the warmest heart for babies and children. I have been waiting for my knees to be done before thinking of another. Sorry I got sidelined. Look forward to hearing about your recovery! Maybe us supernovas are very special! Lol.
 
Yes, @Jozilla, that is my Ziggy. He was so overjoyed to see me, I had to put up a barrier of 2 large pillows to keep him from doing a full body flop on me. He has since calmed down, completely sniffed the bandage from top to bottom, commenced tennis ball therapy with me (he keeps putting it on my lap so I will roll it for him), and made sure my shoulder got a thorough licking (don't know why...I guess because he can't get to the incision). He's a really sweet dog. We went 7 years without a dog after we lost 3 within 6 weeks of each other...I'm glad we decided to try once again. He was in a shelter for 2 months, and it was love at first sight for both of us! I think God had a hand in bringing us together. My husband is just crazy about him, so it's a match made in Heaven, for sure!

Yes, the surgery is exhausting. Did you have a spinal or general anesthesia? I had a spinal and nerve block with some kind of happy juice (versed?). It's supposed to be easier on your system, but I felt pretty lousy after the surgery. I also had waves of nausea hit me 3 or 4 times causing me to vomit, which really repulses me. They gave me something in my IV to help with that, but as soon as it wore off I was tossing my cookies again...the nurse said my body apparently didn't like having so many chemicals thrown at it. I now eat something every time I take a pain medication to avoid anymore unhappy incidents. So far so good!

Please continue to journal your recovery...you are a few days ahead of me, so if you hit a roadblock, I want to know where it is, LOL!
 
Ziggy sure found the right home. He must be trying to heal you with his licking. Dogs are so intuitive. Thank you for sharing. I had a spinal also. I was so worried about it but finally accepted it after it was explained to me. It was definitely the way to go. I cannot believe how great I felt next to when i had a general. I was lucky too I had no nausea. My appetite is still not great but I have been eating right along. The biggest surprise is the fatigue. I have never experienced such fatigue. Is it because of blood loss during surgery?? Each day does seems a little better. I will look forward to your progress!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom