Guest viewing is limited

THR Jolts of pain 2 years after THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe get a second opinion regarding how to move forward? Hope you are feeling ok and sorry you are dealing with this.
 
The cortisone injection seems to be working so far, I still get the feeling this is just temporary relief. I have been considering getting a second opinion, at this point my os isn't sure what to do next.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Jolts of pain 2 years after THR
 
Well, I'm pretty sure your left hip is definitely loose. If you look, around the top half of the stem where it's in the bone, there is a thin dark line. This is a gap that shouldn't be there. It's not there in the right hip. If your chap doesn't know what to do next, shame on him! Get a second opinion from someone who does which would be someone who does lots of revisions.

[Bonesmart.org] Jolts of pain 2 years after THR
 
Looks like we all see the same thing Jo, makes sense to get some fresh thoughts!
 
So my question is how does this happen, and is it better to do something quickly with this or can it wait?
 
Well it has been almost a year with small relief from the injections, and now stabbing pain is back as well as pinching feeling. Saw my OS yesterday no major change in xrays, and going to refer me to a partner to have a look to see if he can find a reason for the pain.
 
Hey, Richardp6--
I'm six months post on my left hip, and I'm having the exact same sensations of looseness, etc, that you described in your initial post. Same thing you've described, about having trouble standing on one leg, and starting to walk, and then once you're walking straight ahead, it all feels fine. I plan to call my OS next week, but it's been very reassuring to me to read that you found you were overdoing it, and that now, a year later, everything has turned out okay. I'm pretty sure I've been overdoing it, too, but that loose sensation is scary. As I said, I plan to call my surgeon's office next week and have them check it out, but it was very reassuring to me to read that you had the same symptoms and it all worked out just fine. How long did it take for those weird loose feelings to go away?
 
Rhino, it's so unfortunate that you are still having problems this far out, and I agree that a second opinion is a great idea. I have recently done the same and am glad that I did! I would recommend that you not go to a partner of your original surgeon, though, but that you go to someone in a different practice with no connection to your original surgeon. I was referred to someone in the same medical group as my original surgeon and he was very reluctant to really look for the source of my problems and bounced me back to the OS quickly with no help. I think that doctors in the same group tend to support each other and don't want to rock the boat, whereas a doctor completely separated will give you his honest professional opinion. Best of luck in getting this figured out! I am 7 months post-op and still can't walk without a pain and limp and think I am finally moving towards getting the treatment that I need, and it is not from my original surgeon or his partner.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Saw my OS yesterday no major change in xrays, and going to refer me to a partner to have a look to see if he can find a reason for the pain.
I would highly recommend finding a revision specialist outside your current surgeon's practice. Frankly it sounds like you have done far too much "wait and see". As Jo has already said, the implant is lose. Get this fixed quickly to avoid other complications.
 
2 large othro groups merged, the Os were not partners till recently, but thought well taken. My question is why and how did this happen and whats to say it will not happen again if they revise it?
 
My question is why and how did this happen and whats to say it will not happen again if they revise it?
A good revision specialist will be able to answer your questions. There are no guarantees with anything but revision so early out is not common at all.
 
New OS confirmed previous diagnosis of potted stem with micro motion, loosening. He said I was lucky/unlucky for the reason this happened.
 
It's good you have confirmation, but knowing you need a revision is tough. Are you scheduled for one yet?
 
Living in the north country we have a fairly short period of good to great weather, I will struggle till we get to the lousy season again. The process of the revision sounds like six weeks of no-weight bearing, both OS said it will be a real issue removing stem due due the bone density I have. They both said they thought they would have to split the femur to remove the stem. Hoooray!
 
Whoa, Rhino, that sounds daunting. So sorry you have to go through this. Hope you can find ways to enjoy the nice weather before your revision. Best wishes to you!
 
Much appreciated! I will have a few beverages for medicinal purposes and enjoy 60 degree weather in March!
 
New doc took films to ortho conference to get more opinions, all had same opinion that the top of the stem is loose. They have no way of tightening top of implant, so it will have to be replaced. They suggested managing pain and hope the implant gets looser so they don't have to split the femur to replace it. It looks like it will be a interesting struggle over the next few months!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom