Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

@Jolease good report from OS and PT. I need to strengthen my quads too. PT says that’s why I still need a walker in order to not limp.
 
My doc said they should not use ultrasound due to the proximity of the metal, so beware of that.

Mine did a lot of deep tissue work and a scraping procedure called the Graston Technique. Lots of that and ice are awesome. Anything else at this stage, just say no, IMHO.
 
My doc said they should not use ultrasound due to the proximity of the metal, so beware of that.
Ultrasound can be done when you have a metal implant.

It's an MRI that demands a modified technique when you have a metal implant. It can still be done, but the procedure has to be altered slightly.
 
@jboles Yes the pt said who cares about Rom it’s strength that gets you moving- I agree!! And also your gait not to limp.
@IronGirl6 it wasn’t ultrasound , wish I could remember the name , I’ll write down next time I’m there . Last time I did have ultra sound though and was fine as-long as it’s not over the implant itself.
I actually chose to go to PT, I think it’s super beneficial, if you aren’t trying to achieve rom and they are helping you build your weak muscles back up.. That being said , it has to be one that gets you and your needs and does not push you or your knee. I’m kinda of a say it how it is girl ... so I have no prob saying no to PT lol
 
Today I’m 8 weeks post op from my revision. My knee is progressing much better than my partial. I don’t have the terrible medial pain, although I still have lateral pain and the sharp pain periodically in my calf and behind knee. I’m sure as my quad gets stronger those will subside. It seems I’m more aware of my weak quad when moving than my knee. I am still moderately swollen and my knee tells me when I’ve been on it to long. I ice frequently still. I have the burning nerve pain in my ankle still but it comes and goes. Happy it’s not constant. Considering all things and even though I’d like to be back to normal whatever that is .. lol...I’m doing pretty well. Today I got on my outdoor bike and went around the block, knee was tight to start but loosened up. I just did a very short 10 minutes as I had already rode my indoor bike. I’m still having to use my cane except inside the house. I’m tired of having to use it and will be happy when I can retire it for good! Well that’s my 8 week report and I hope everyone is having a good day and are recovering well.
 
That sounds like a very good update, Jolease. Take your time and your knee should do well.
 
@Jolease I’d say that’s a pretty positive 8 week report. You’ll be able to retire that cane soon. Keep up the work and the fun too. Outdoor biking, I haven’t done that in years!
 
That sounds like a very good 8 week report. You'll know when it's time to dump the cane. When you start to leave it every place you go, then have to go back and get it.
 
@RonL Hi neighbour! Our weather sure makes this recovery a bit easier! Where about on the island are you?
 
@Irish471 I honestly can’t wait to dump it! Lol. I’ve been using it off and in for a year and a half. If my quad wasn’t so weak I’d chuck it thats for sure. Patience I know.... :gaah:Yay to you driving! I’ve been driving for a couple weeks, but it was my left knee, so I had an advantage. I’ve gone to the grocery store but only for a couple items, the whole grocery shopping process is to much and only having one hand free doesn’t help. So I drag hubby or a kid lol.
 
I'm up in Port Alberni. The weather has been pretty nice. Sitting here at the dining room table looking out at the park. There is a ball game going on, next to that they're playing lacrosse and next to that there are a fews people shooting hoops.
 
I’ve gone to the grocery store but only for a couple items, the whole grocery shopping process is to much and only having one hand free doesn’t help. So I drag hubby or a kid lol.

I'm sure you have done more than enough for the hubby and kids over the years that they can step up and help out while you recover.
 
Sooo I had to learn the hard way that I will suffer if I go down stairs foot over foot and also might be to early for the road bike. My knee was so achey, pain on side of the knee and had zingers last night. Oh man,so disappointed. I should know better too! :headbang: I had the worst sleep last night. This roller coaster ride is getting old! Tomorrow things will be better just a frustrating recovery.. I need to go slower.
 
I can’t imagine riding a road bike yet. Between the balance needed and the effort, :yikes: I would think pedaling a road bike would involve some amount of resistance that is too much for you yet. Especially since you’d already done the indoor bike.

But we have to try things once in a while. You’ll get there!
 
I had it on low resistance and was flat riding, I had no problem balancing but it’s the after math you don’t realize until well it’s after the fact - ugh. Yes to early I think, the stairs going down pull something at the outside of my knee. So that can be put on hold also . My knee is still quite warm and swollen so back to babying it..
 
@Jolease was good to read your 8 week report.
I accidentally went down a couple of stairs ‘normally’ and also paid for it! Someone was at the door and I just ‘forgot’
I was going to try my bike this weekend but the last few days have been a bit tough again. It may be because I have ditched the crutches but I have walked much shorter distances!! Who knows what these fickle knees are up to!!
 
@Jolease I think most of us have done the going downstairs bit too soon. Even now I'm happier if Imhave something to hold onto both sides and my knee still complains if I do too many. My head has finally stepped in and seen the sense of using lifts to go down if there are a lot of steps, but my pride still says I should be walking down!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom