Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

@Jolease Sounds like your recovery is going great!... it is indeed one day at a time and is most definitely not a straight line process.... Best of luck on your continued progress! :thumb:
 
Good morning, I’m going into week 4 tomorrow , I was hoping I’d be further along than I am. I am still in lots of pain, still on crutches, one around the house. I have great rom , but wish I’d have less pain and more stability by now. I have been recovering for a very long time and somedays Are well just depressing . I keep telling myself 6 weeks things will improve a bit I read so many threads and how each of us have different recoveries. I love to cook and am no where near standing in the kitchen for more than 10 minutes. Some days are better than others,but I’m sure hoping things improve sooner than later as I’m feeling worn down. Next goal standing to shower!
 
Keep reminding yourself, 3 major surgeries on the same knee in 17 months, it takes a big toll. :console2:Your knee is upset from triplicate trauma.
 
@Jockette thank- you. It just gets old sometimes.. the yo- yo recovery. I can’t wait until I can post that I’ve gone for a walk or that the pain has subsided. I’ll be like a kid in a candy store! :heehee:
 
I can’t wait until I can post that I’ve gone for a walk or that the pain has subsided. I’ll be like a kid in a candy store!
That will happen. It was 4 weeks before I even got out except on my porch. The first place I went was church and I sat on the back row with my leg across the pew and an ice pack on my knee. I walked only with a walker for at least 6 weeks while out in the public. This recovery take time. Something that doesn't come easy. That patience word is a bad word!
 
I’m sure this recovery is really hard because all 3 have blended into one very long recovery. :console2:

I know every month of my single recovery was frustrating as I was led to believe my recovery would only last a couple of months. Each month that passed I would lament it’s been X months, and I’m only at X. I felt betrayed by my doctor and by all the articles I had read about how great partials were. I was very angry for a while.

I am calmer these days, at 2 years post op, but I still have occasional moments of frustration at the injustice of it all.

I have been able to shelve my fears for a while as no one has recommended any further surgery or PT, my 2 greatest fears. The weather will be warmer soon so wearing shorts outside will give me a break from my discomfort. The last few times I went up steps I managed foot over foot without much difficulty. I was encouraged by that, at this late date. So, my advice to both of us is, never give up!

One of the men in our bowling league has a card he keeps on the table when he bowls. It’s a picture of some big bird with a frog in it’s mouth. And the frog has it’s hands around the bird’s neck in a choking hold. The card says, never give up. :rotfl:
 
@Jockette . I understand completely with the partial, I was told the same thing. I’d be pain free walking within 3 months... now look. I think I get super angry that these surgeons do not explain what could happen at least mine didn’t. Maybe had I known I would of held off or at least researched it and found this site way earlier. Unfortunately the knee dictates what we can do. I was so active and now 17 months later I’m still trying to get there. Your right as I’ve never recovered from the previous surgeries, but so want number 3 to be the one I do recover from. I’m glad you have such a good outlook on things and that you have been able to do stairs properly!! Lol I love the bowling story! I won’t give up! I can’t I have to much I want to do! Got two cruises planned the first is in October so that puts me at 7 months post op. That’s my goal to get to walking by then. :)

@sistersinhim Thank-you I know we shouldn’t compare ourselves but I feel I’m so behind, so thank-you for the reassurance. I couldn’t live without my ice packs, well I could but you know what I mean lol. I have about 12 that I’ve accumulated over the past months. Some upstairs , some down they are my saviours. I’m on crutches and will be for awhile. I can use one around the house as they are the elbow kind and like it much better than the cane.
 
Today is 5 weeks since the revision, things are progressing slowly, but for the most part going in the right direction. My quads are still weak and I still have pain and swelling when I’m on my feet to much. My leg is still feels like it’s not mine. I’ve had to dig really deep for patience and to accept I’m a slow healer.Some days are better than others and I just listen to my knee and do a lot of boring nothing. I’ve just gotten on the recumbent bike for 10 mins a few times a week.We are going camping for Easter weekend and I’m looking forward to lounging in the fresh air and sitting around the fire at night.
My incision is still tender and the area around it and I still have bruising on my leg. Also lots of numbness and warmth to the knee.The nerve burning pain in my ankle and foot comes and goes, seems worse when I’ve over done things. I’m able to cook more meals nothing fancy, but I’m ok with that. I can get around with one crutch or my cane now. Ive been recovering for a long time,but am determined this time will be the charm!! It might take awhile, but I will beat this darn knee once and for all! :)
 
@Jolease, you will come out the other side just fine, that I’m sure of, just be patient. Getting away and relaxing in a different environment will help a lot, especially mentally.
 
You are not a slow healer. 5 weeks is a drop in the 52 week bucket, especially with 3 major surgeries so close together. I was at this same point at 5 weeks from my one little (?) partial.
 
I know how hard it is to has multiple surgeries so close together - both emotionally and physically. That knee has been beat up and pushed around quite a bit so it will take some time to heal. I hated that it seemed like I would finally be feeling good and then bam...another surgery. I made sure to take vitamins and protein drinks to help with the rundown feeling. It look a little time but the knee works great
 
Jockette is right. You're not a slow healer. Your recovery is following the normal path of a knee that's had three major surgeries in a short space of time.

Have another look at this article, to see what level of activity you should be expecting from your knee - it's not much yet.
Activity progression for TKRs

But emotionally you have been recovering from surgery for almost 18 months, so it feels like a lifetime. :console2:

Your knee has been through 3 major surgeries and it just needs time to recover. It's going to get there, I'm sure of that.
 
Thank-you all. I guess I’m just tired of recovering and feel I should be a pro by now ( haha) I appreciate all your comments it really does help mentally having you all in my corner. I’m trying to set small goals each week and that is helpful. :yes:
 
I’ve been walking with my cane a short ways outside now and have to say I’m so happy! I probably walk 15 minutes a day. I’ve always been a fast walker and my brain still wants my body to keep up haha. My question is I’ve been getting a strong sore pulling pain on the outside of the knee down into the leg a bit. Is this the muscles just working overtime?. Things are moving in the right direction and although my knee has a long ways to go ,I’m happy I’m not having just medial pain! Yippee! I was shown a great stretch for the muscle that works the patella and it feels so good when it’s stretched. Im doing light strengthening exercises as my quad is so weak. I’m riding the recumbent bike 10 mins twice a day on a med level to work the quad. My scar is still very sensitive and sore around it and I just started massaging with bio oil . All in all things are going pretty good. :thumb:
 
@Jolease, what you describe sounds like the IT band. At least that’s my guess since what you describe is what I dealt with the longest time during my recovery. It finally fully resolved itself between 6 and 8 months post op. Gentle stretching and backing off of any exercises that seem to aggravate it were what worked for me.
 
@NavyGunns Thanks, it comes and goes and also the pain behind the knee, but is worse with activity. Seems the pain moves as things progress ugh. One day you feel so good then bam feel back to almost to the beginning. Also I sure hope the stiffness goes in time. I know I’m early just these new pains I didn’t have with the partial.
 
Two steps forward , three steps back is how my recovery seems to be going lately. This new pulling hurting pain I’m having behind knee and down the side of my calf is making walking miserable. We are going away tomorrow and trying to even do the smallest tasks is like climbing a mountain.. ugh. I hope these new pains don’t stick around. I’m focusing on my gait as it feels like the muscle is being so over worked. Have I mentioned how sick I am of recovering??? :headbang:
 
@Jolease I’m sorry you’re having this new pain. Have you asked PT if they can determine what it’s coming from? I’m right there with you on being sick of recovering...:console2:
 
@jboles Thanks I’m just so frustrated, the new pain is just a few days old but I plan on asking them next time I go. I pray it subsides. I bet your fed up to, it’s gotten very old! :tiredwheel:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom