Revision TKR Jolease's knee saga part 3<^

I have a lot of annoying discomfort, sometimes to a great extent, but it’s not like pain that would make me take pain relief for. (I took 1000 mg of Tylenol 3-4 times a day well past a year and it didn’t help.) So I’m not desperate for relief. If I’m sitting it doesn’t bother me, thankfully.

I forgot that you had a medial partial, I thought it was a Patellofemoral.

For now I basically have given up. As nice and attentive as my recent second opinion was I wonder if for some reason he just didn’t want to take on my case. :shrug:
 
@Jockette The surgeons just seem to go in and do the procedure and close the door behind them. We basically let a totally stranger in and put our trust into them. I’ve learnt so much in the last 17 months. If only I could've seen into the future, how my choices would have been different. I’m happy to have found this forum. No one understands the mental and physical trauma this has on a person. I consider myself strong but this surgery is the toughest thing I’ve had to do and overcome X3 . I know things aren’t the outcome you’d hoped but am happy your aren’t in major pain with no relief. Xx
 
Last edited:
Good morning, things have been going good the second week I tried to lower my meds, but I learnt it’s to early for that. My knee has been pretty sore the past couple days. Also I have a tight sore spot in my quad, I’ve been tightening them as I walk for 16 months without realizing I’m doing it. My calf is tight also. I have my first physio apt today and going to see what they suggest. I’ll find out my Rom also. Here’s to a good week 3.:)
 
I had several tight spots, in hamstring and calf mainly, but quad as well. My PT gave me some stretches to do and I used a lambswool paint roller to gently massage the areas. Both seemed to help.
 
Made it through my first PT . Just didn’t a few exercises. We’re very gentle. My Rom is 105 & + 10. She said the straight after knee warmed up was almost flat. Rest of the day will be ice,elevation and pain meds.
 
Feeling discouraged today. I have such pain in the medial side of knee.That is where all my issues have been before surgery and after each of them . I know it’s early, but wish I had pain in a different part of my knee. I’m staying positive that it’s just that that’s where all the tissue damage is from 3 surgeries but I can’t help feeling worried. - :sigh:Where are others pain after tkr? I know some say behind the knee or above the knee cap. Today is just one of those rough worrisome days. :beg:
 
Try not to worry. It's normal to have pain. That you feel it most in one place doesn't mean there's anything wrong there. It could be because that's where most work had to be done during surgery.

Make sure you keep taking your pain medications on a regular schedule and don't do any exercises that hurt.
 
@Celle thank-you. It’s definitely where most work was done as the partial had to come out before tkr went in. It’s just scary as I’ve had nothing but bad outcomes and this pain is like putting salt in a wound today, all in the medial. Xtra meds today and icing- no exercises either.
 
@Jolease , I was supposed to have a patellofemoral, but instead had my tkr done in the 18th and most of my pain is medial also and at the back of the knee, too. That's where the bruising is the worst. Prior to surgery most of my pain was lateral. That's where the surgeon found an area that was bone on bone. My quad is also very sore...maybe from the physical therapy? I honestly can't tell if the pain I feel is from bruising, trauma to the bone, or what. I just know I hit a 10 when I first get out of bed to use the restroom and later in the day right around the time I am due for the 12-hour pain pills. I am going to try to bridge the pain by taking the 5mg as needed pain pill a couple of hours before I am due for the 12-hour ones. I hope that helps!
 
@Irish471 Thank- you. I have been rolling my quad, but there is one area that is very sore feels like it’s pulled or maybe just over worked. It’s when it’s engaged or weight bearing.I need to be patient, but with the past failures it’s hard when I have that awful medial pain.I’m going to stay on meds regularly and give my tissues time to heal. I’m hoping physio will have an idea what’s going on with my quad. I do know it’s very weak and is going to need lots of strength building down the road. Just had a bad painful day. I’m sure tomorrow will be better. I wasn’t prescribed long acting ones, but I’m trying to alternate my two painkillers and see if that helps. Hope you feel better soon to .
 
Thanks, @Jolease ! It's comforting to know there are others out there fighting to get through this. I took the 5mg pill at 5 am, waited an hour, and it did help me to get up to use the restroom. I still cried when I got back into bed. A few days ago, my leg felt like it had gone through a meat grinder. Now it feels like someone took a sledge hammer and pounded on it. I am officially one week post up today.
 
@Irish471 My first week was the worst, I hope you’ll have improvement this week. It is the hardest and longest recovery. This is my 3rd time doing this in a short time. Some people breeze through it without complications or extensive pain. I was not one of those. I’m going to have to work hard for my bend this time. I had no troubles in that department with the partials. I’ve had issues with my quad since the second surgery and I know it isn’t helping with my knee. We will get through this. It really does get better,hang in there. I know, it just doesn’t feel like it at this stage. Big hugs and take it nice and slow.
 
I’m going to have to work hard for my bend this time.
I’m going to tag @Josephine
You do not have to work hard for your bend, especially after 3 replacements in a year and a half. If you try to work hard for it you will set yourself back. Please don’t do that.

What you do need to work hard at is the patience to allow your body the privilege of sorting itself out and heal. Gently.
 
@Jockette I guess what I meant was that my bend came easy with the partials, this time will take more time. I do not push myself to the point of pain nor does pt. Thanks for looking out for me. And patience is the hardest that’s for sure.:gaah:
 
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks since surgery. I have seen improvements over the weeks with some set backs here and there. Mornings are the worst as knee is so stiff and sore. Hubby brings my ice pack and coffee before work.

Pt yesterday my ROM was 115 &+5. They are very gentle and listen to you and definitely don’t push your knee. They measure it from what you can do on your own.
They gave me some hip flexor exercises to hopefully help to strengthen my leg.

Some days are better than others pain wise, I still feel it mostly in medial area and also my knee can feel sloppy and pain above knee cap.
I’m on crutches and still don’t feel sturdy enough to shower standing, hopefully next week.

My lower leg and inside foot still looks like I was beaten with a bat . My thigh is still a big problem and I sure hope it settles down.

All in all I think I’m doing pretty good. I walk my driveway with crutches, do my given exercises which I find really helps loosen things up and pt twice a week.
Ice and elevate all the sitting hours.

I’m taking this recovery very slow, I want so bad to be able to walk pain free,but am willing to go slow to get there.

I’ve cut back the hydromorphone to using tramadol. I take the stronger pain meds when needed. I hope everyone’s recovery is going well.
 
It sounds as if you're doing well.
Your ROM is excellent for so early in recovery.

I'm glad your PT therapists are taking it gently with your knee. That's the right way to go.
 
Sounds like you have great ROM numbers for 3 weeks out. I can’t tell from your signature if all 3 surgeries are on the same knee? I’m right there with you on the 3 surgeries in a short amount of time, takes a toll on the body for sure.
 
@jboles Hi and yes it’s been all on the same knee. It really is a challenge physically and mentally. I have good Rom as I did with the other two as well, but my pain and weakness in my leg is bad still.I am told a revision takes a bit longer. I’m trying to stay positive, but the way my knee has been feeling past few day has my emotions up and down. My pain is where it’s been from the beginning in the medial. I know it’s only been 3.5 weeks,but feel like I shouldn’t be in so much pain still. I’m sorry you’ve also gone through so many surgeries in a short time. I pray we both get good outcomes at the end of this. One day at a time.. xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom