TKR Joining the fun 9 weeks out

I found that support hose helped a lot after I began to work again. I cut the feet out of the ted hose from the hospital--but the thigh part kept falling down. I finally ordered some from the internet---I think it was called discount surgical stockings. I used the mildest ones and I used thight high ones which worked better than I thought they would.

At first, I was afraid support hose would be tight, so I bought a size bigger. Big mistake!! they would fall down from the waist and finally I put a shoelace around my waist to help hold them up. But, they continued to fall down--and then I felt the upper part of my thighs squeezing out of the support hose! Ugh what a terrible feeling. I went to the rest room and deposited the panty hose in the trash can.f Be sure to buy your size!!!
 
@skigirl thanks for the advice - and also the laughs picturing your predicament! I have several pairs of knee high compression socks from a DVT 10 years ago, but think that having the top band right on my knee will hurt this time around. Maybe I will try a pantyhose style. I had forgotten about support hose ( probably deliberately wiped out the memories of that scary episode), but will give them a try again.
 
..I have several pairs of knee high compression socks from a DVT 10 years ago, but think that having the top band right on my knee will hurt this time around...
The top band of support knee-highs bugs the back of my knee and thigh-highs annoys the front (due to pressure on the patella?). It's a shame, because I own several pairs of each style. Probably eventually they'll be comfortable again.
 
I definitely had an increase in pain and swelling when I returned full time to my mostly desk job (with lots of movement for meetings) at the office at 7 weeks. Not sure how I worked from home on narcotics weeks 2 through 6, but that's a story for another day. The 1st week of office work, I also did PT but that didn't last long especially when my PT suggested I start the day with PT so I would have more energy for the session. Why therapist, wouldn't that mean that I would have less energy for work, the thing that pays me? I stopped taking narcotics week 6 but found a combo of Tylenol and Tramadol worked well for me during the day without any negative effects. I also used Uber to get to and fro more than driving myself until week 9ish.

With all that, there were days when I could hardly make it up the 6 front steps to my home after a full day at work but it did get better and if I recall, it got better quickly. I had the favor of being able to work 1 day a week from home and did that on Wednesday to provide some rest. Ice and elevation at work along with walking each hour, as practical, helped me ramp up relatively quickly.
 
Thank you @hawk2go it is comforting to hear that going back to work has led to increased problems for other people too. I will plan to work from home on Wednesdays also for the next month, whenever possible - that is a really good idea. I can elevate slightly at work (under my desk) and ice as needed, but I still had swelling and bad pain every night. Reminding myself to have patience!
 
I work with a great bunch of professionals. I wore bright blue sneakers for the 1st 6 weeks at the office because they were tried, true and comfortable. When my gait became steadier without a cane, I replaced them with the exact same sneaker. They rarely matched my business attire but no one blinked. They could tell I was uncomfortable most days and in pain many so when I dropped the ball, they gently picked it up and handed it back to me. I hope your crew is as supportive as you move through your recovery.
 
When ever I can I break up my work week. Because I work longer hours I only work 4 days a week so I usually take off Wednesdays and the weekends for now. Last week as tough because I worked 4 days in a row. I hope you keep improving everyday. I just keep in the back of my mind I can retire early in less than 1 year if I have to. It's kind of my countdown to a safety net.
 
I was reading your thread to catch up. I hope that work gets easier for you. What I found interesting on your thread were the comments about hair loss! I am not on NSAIDs, and only take an 81mg aspirin and Tylenol very seldom - BUT - I am really losing hair! It is terrible cleaning the shower. Thank goodness I have thick hair. Blessings to you.
 
My new knee is four months old today!:yes!: And, like my children all those years ago, it is finally starting to sleep through the night. I have returned to work full-time, but I am still trying to keep my weekends fairly inactive - I napped yesterday and today. I don't feel the energy drain as much, except when I can't sleep at night. I still have some painful days (today!), and don't get up from my desk at work as often as I should. I still sometimes take pain meds or Benadryl to help me sleep at night. I still get swelling and stiffness, but all in all, I am starting to think .... dare I say this yet?.... I am glad I did it:happydance: Thank you SO MUCH to everyone here for sharing your experiences and offering your support! I am sure I will still be online a lot, but hopefully to offer encouragement instead of asking for it.
 
I'm glad you're beginning to feel as if it might have all been worthwhile! :yes!:

It's a long, slow journey through recovery, and you've managed it very well. Best wishes for continuing improvement.
 
Thank you for posting this!! I am at 2 months and I am realllllyyyy looking for a light at the end of the tunnel! You showed me it will be there - I just need to be patient......
 
Hi @New England Librarian! Read your thread and it is very encouraging! My mouth dropped when I read you did NYC!! I was going there in May to meet a friend from the U.K. but now trip is canceled until next year, so I will do 2nd knee in March. I think NYC is my favorite place to visit!
Where in New England are you? I grew up in Arlington, MA. Little town between Cambridge and Lexington.
Still amazed you did NYC, I will be 6 months post op by May and I was worried whether or not I could do it. Oh well, don't have to worry about it now.
 
@Timetolive Janis you suffered a few setbacks to put it mildly! But I looked back on my posts here from November, when I was 2 months out, and I could not imagine ever feeling as good as I feel now. So it looks like that moment does come eventually, for most of us. I get very emotional reading some of the stories on here, both good and bad, but all of them (especially the BTKRs) prove that every knee is different. I am not sure I will ever find the courage to do it again, if my right leg decides to act up, but hopefully I have a few years to forget how long and painful this recovery has been. Hang in there Janis - your faith is inspiring and you will have better days.
 
Hi @Glamg1979 I know Arlington quite well, and work in an adjacent town, Waltham. Arlington is not really a little town any more! It's an expensive and very desirable Boston suburb. I live about 15 miles further west, but with traffic my commute is often 50 or 60 minutes :groan:

I spent 4 days in NYC but just had one day of all that walking, preceded and followed by days of relative rest. We also took cabs instead of the subway once I started getting sore! My kids helped care for me during the earliest days of my recovery, and they were so encouraging about me being able to walk - I think that was motivational. You will be able to do it!
 
. dare I say this yet?.... I am glad I did it:happydance:
You said it!!!! So happy for you. It really is a fantastic feeling, still fills me up.

as for the swelling and stiffness, mine took about six-eight months to fully depart. You are getting there!
I still deal with some swelling and stiffness. This weekend after a big day of driving, walking and standing - I looked down at El Jefe and it looked like the middle picture in Josephine's swelling examples. It didn't hurt much just was letting me know I'd done too much. I iced, rested and elevated for the rest of the night. I took an Aleve and a AS Tylenol because I figured the pain was coming, but it never did. The next day was fine.
 
Will have to go through Arlington next time hubby and I go on a leaf peeping trip in New England and check out the old neighborhood.
So good to hear you say you are glad you had the surgery done. I am at 10 weeks and can sort of see the light. Still have a long way to go.....and I need to do the other knee!
 
Hey BoneSmart friends, jumping back in at 7 months plus. After starting a mild walking program a few months ago, and then a few weeks of intense foot pain, I was diagnosed today with a probable stress fracture in my left foot (TKR leg)! Probably due to a changed gait and foot stance, although they can't fully evaluate that until this is healed. I did have a (slight?) varus alignment which was corrected during surgery, and I got new shoes and new orthotics, but this still happened! I am in a boot but only for 2 weeks to start, then another evaluation. Hope to be all recovered for my son's wedding in late June. I am feeling pretty unhappy about these lingering repercussions, especially when I tried to avoid it, but given all the after affects some of my BoneSmart friends have had, I am still doing very well. What are your experiences with this?
 
Sorry to hear that but imagine it is very frustrating for you. I think by June you should be OK to enjoy your son's wedding. Good luck!
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom