Guest viewing is limited

THR Joe G.'s recovery thread

Just wondering if anybody here has gone back to skiing after THR. I've skied basically my whole life, introduced my wife and kids to it and they're into it, I even have a condo at a ski resort. Right now, 5 weeks out from my replacement, it seems crazy to think I'll ever ski again and I've been pretty much working on that assumption. But has anybody gone back to it and lived to tell the tale? I'd love to hear about if so, or if you decided it was too much, or if you went and it turned out to be a bad idea, I'd like to hear about that too.

It was skiing that led my replacement, I crashed and broke both columns of my acetabula in December '17, but it wasn't really skiing's fault, I wasn't paying attention on beginner terrain (I was looking back over my shoulder for my wife while still going forward, I definitely won't do that again!), I know I can still ski from a proficiency standpoint but thinking about all the vibration and stress and possible impacts, it just seems way too sketchy.

Any and all input welcomed.
 
You'll notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. If you would like a new thread title just post what you would like it to be and we'll change it for you
 
Hello Joe,
If you're still interested in skiing and you get a nod from your surgeon, I'd say Go For It. There are those that have returned to skiing. Type Skiing Ater Hip Replacement in the SEARCH above in the navigational bar and threads will pop up that mention it.

I grew up skiing myself but stopped as a young adult and I now view it as a risk I'm not willing to take, but we're all different. If the prospect of falling doesn't frighten you, and sitting in your condo sipping hot cocoa while your wife and kids are on the slopes depresses you, then I don't see why you wouldn't return to the sport. We each have a different perspective on what we find risky and some are willing to take a chance on activity they enjoy and find fulfilling.

With the knowledge that skiing led to your THR, I'd say you're extremely brave to jump back on that horse. Go Joe!
@JoeGee

Right THR June 27, 2017
 
I'd love to hear about if so, or if you decided it was too much, or if you went and it turned out to be a bad idea, I'd like to hear about that too.
Hi JoeGee. I taught my husband and children to ski, when they were very young. We enjoyed it very much.

For me, it is not worth the risk of someone else accidentally wiping me out while they ski, and fracturing my femur, requiring a revision. I loved ice skating, too. Bye, bye. I can watch from the sidelines. Same with sledding.

While I was in the hospital a few weeks ago, a man on my floor was shouting in agony. Thankfully he dislocated in a hospital. His screams will stay as a reminder in my head,

I might be inclined to try a bit of cross country skiing, one day, if that is safer.
 
Thanks Layla, we'll see I guess.

sistersinhim, no problem, I get it. I actually kinda wondered what would happen if I posted it as a thread, and now I know! Seemed a little bit more "general interest" is why I went the way I did.

vslowlife, I'm sure cross-country is very much safer, unless you're doing something very wrong! You should go for it some day.
 
Hi @JoeGee
No snow in my neck of the woods, but perhaps you can start a thread in the social room to attract responses from skiers.
Skiing after THR? or something like that...
There are threads about cycling and other activities...
Hope you have a good weekend!
 
I didn't even know the social room existed, my bad. Thanks and you enjoy your weekend too!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary, Joe!
How are you doing? We‘d love to hear from you.
Until then...wishing you all the best. Stay safe and well. :)
@JoeGee
 
Thanks Layla - lost track of things a little bit with all the virus stuff but I'm doing well. Leg is still sore and a bit swollen near the incision site but I have good mobility and strength is coming back. 2 months! Crazy how time goes by. I hope everybody here is doing well - I guess there won't be too many new replacements for a while but I'm sure things will get back to normal eventually. Cheers everybody.
 
Good to hear from you, Joe! Thanks for the update.
Glad to hear you’re progressing nicely. Best Wishes as you continue healing. It gets better and better with each passing month.
Take care, be safe and stay well. :)
@JoeGee
 
:wave:@JoeGee
Two months was when I started getting a bit of confidence that all would be well...but it was also the time where it is easy to forget there is alot of healing still happening.
It will keep getting better and better.
Remember your good friend, Ice:ice:It still works and while you're icing, you have to chill!:) :-) (:

Good mojo coming your way!
 
Thanks mojo! Yeah I gotta do better with the ice, no doubt. My biggest thing is I'm still pretty wiped out. I mean I feel fine but then I'm just super wiped out later, but a nap or a rest and I rally. It's almost hard to connect it with the hip since the hip doesn't hurt. Thigh hurts a bit but not the hip. But it's probably all part of the recovery.

Before I had this operation I was all gung ho to get the other one done this year too, it's pretty bad and will have to be done eventually and I figured, the deductibles are all covered, it will be cheaper if I do it in the same year. Plus I'm not getting any younger, turning 60 the day after tomorrow actually. No time like the present and all that noise. But now I'm looking out ways to delay it as much as I can. I'm in no hurry at all.
 
Hi JoeGee.. That feeling of being "wiped out" is so common. Then it will slowly dissipate and you won't notice it as much. I really mean it about is being a slow transition. I found that I had periods of it returning, even at month 7.

But now I'm looking out ways to delay it as much as I can. I'm in no hurry at all.

You might find, that after a few more months that you will look forward to getting it over with.. As a double hippie, I love having both done and dusted!!
 
:friends:Hi @JoeGee

The first 3 or 4 months, your energy is being sapped for healing...take another review of this article...
Naps are what we need, so good for you!

I was always amazed how my hip Did Not hurt...of course not...it was replaced.
It was all that soft tissue that was injured, like my quads, that was super sore.

Happy birthday, early...my hippy pal.
 
Hi @JoeGee

Glad to read your update. No hip pain is wonderful! I get that full body tired feeling too. Wishing you a Happy 60th birthday. Hope you just keep feeling better and better!
 
Happy 60th Birthday a day early @JoeGee! As the others have said, that wiped out feeling is normal and will start to go away but don't be surprised if it sneaks back up once in a while. Pain and discomfort in the thigh is also very normal at this point. You're at one of those perfect points of you feel really good, hip pain is gone, you can and want to do more and if you don't watch you end up in the Over Did It Club (ODIC). Take things slow and easy, patience is a major virtue in this recovery, especially with everything going on in the world today.
 
HAPPY 60th, Joe! Wishing you many, many more. :wink:

Raising a glass for this milestone birthday! :cheers:
It’s not Corona...I promise!:heehee:
@JoeGee
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you’re doing well, Joe, and staying safe and healthy.
We’d love to read an update...when you have time.
All the best to you!
@JoeGee
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom