Guest viewing is limited

TKR Jeff's double

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Jeff, have not heard from you for about a week so I hope all is going well! Mega mojo is headed your way.


Brenda aka Bionic B
 
hi everyone sorry about the delay. Things are going rough but showing progress here in rehab. the people here know their business well and are doing everything they can to help me. its 20 days since my first knee and that knee is doing well. my problem is with the second. well, it's not that it's a problem but it's just not responding as well as the first one. I still cannot make it past 4 hours without my pain much better bending my knees that I do straightening them. I work real hard and the first hour of therapy at 9 a.m. and when I return to my room I pack my legs in ices and take my meds and swear that I will never be able to walk . but when alright our love occupational therapy comes up at 1 p.m. I find that I am N better shape than I thought. I finish occupational therapy at 2 p.m. and go directly to my next physical therapy where he's been working on my climbing stairs and walking.I want to thank you all for helping me to be prepared for this. They tell me I'm knowledgeable about my goals and that makes me a better patient.I was told this morning that I will be discharged from the rehab hospital on this coming Tuesday. then I go to 3 outpatient sessions a week at a place right near my . once I get home and can use my computer I will be more active use more details I apologize this little book thing I have is difficult for me to use. I think of you all very frequently during the day thank you for your friendship and support you don't know how much it means
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Jeff...I hear you. Having 2 legs done is tough. Hang in there my friend...all things pass and it is so great on the other side. Take care of you. Maggie x

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
@jhcompliance Jeff you have no need to apologize Sir....your knees have been assaulted and then put through rigourus exercise before your knees have time to settle down....I bet when you get home you will see your pain ease and your knees improve......we do not have a rehab facility here and while they help people with the transition to going home they really seem to push without much time to heal..please keep me posted when you get settled.....you are going to do great Jeff.....as good as any Ranger fan can be ..

Vinny
 
@vinny you boys make me laugh with your barbs at each other....kinda cute

Maggie via Tapatalk
 
Good morning all,
well I made it home. Still having trouble with swelling pain but no pain from the knee replacements. I still have to take Oxycodone 5mg every 4 hours. I tried to skip a few but the pain escalated. How long did any of you have to continue with the "heavy" pain meds? My home PT said I'm doing great. I can walk fairly well with a cane, go up and down stairs one step at a time and stand in the shower for a short time. What a blessing to shower! You were all correct about the recliner. I live in this chair. the power option was great advise. I'm keeping my legs elevated as much as possible in an attempt to help with the swelling. I get up every 20 minutes or so and walk around the room to keep things moving. I seem to sleep a lot too. just walking around for 1 or 2 minutes seems to exhaust me. Did you feel the same way? My OS went on vacation so my first appointment isn't until April 14th. I think in the haze of post op he said he had more trouble with the second knee but I'm not sure. The second knee is the swelling problem. Without getting too graphic, I remember the first knee had a drain and seemed to drain a substantial amount of fluid. The second knee did not drain as well. Maybe that has something to do with the swelling. In closing, its snowing again here on Long Island, just what we need! Thanks for being there for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jeff welcome back just in time for the playoffs so your recliner will come in handy...you seem to be doing everything right and will no doubt recover quickly..fortunately I never needed any pain meds which proved to be a blessing but I agree with those who take them when needed and know the right time to get off...one of my legs took 42 minutes in the OR and the other 50 which was the worse knee prior to surgery and had to be straightened during the procedure ..curious that leg has a little more ROM than the other..keep icing those bad boys Jeff you really are doing great.....go Rangers! Did that seem sincere?

Vinny
 
Glad to see you are at home and loving your recliner, they are the best!! You are doing great considering you have had both knees done!
Have a great weekend and for the record, I am a Bruins fan :)
 
Bruins fan here also! Yay for Gru and Groot!
Jeff, you asked how long it takes to get off of the heavy meds...let me tell you from MY experience..DO NOT cut back right now...it will only make things worse..and don't try to do it by yourself, it leads you to nothing but failure..talk to your doc and discuss a step down process with the Oxy and or other meds...I made the HUGE mistake of thinking I was doing fine at 2 weeks and was weaning myself off, BIG mistake...then I went back on, and at week 3 tried it again...ANOTHER BIG mistake...went to my 4 week check up and doc told me to switch to Tramadol, but didn't tell me HOW! Well now at week 5, I am a miserable little person! The side effects from going off the Oxy at a drastic rate have been worse than the knee recovery..Talk to your doc! I hope that I can help at least 1 person so they don't have to experience what I have had to! You are doing great! Hang in there!
 
Hi Jeff, welcome home! You were asking about getting off the heavy meds. I agree that you should not even think about cutting back yet. You will do it naturally when you forget that it's time for your next dose. My first knee was much quicker to feel better. I think it was about a week when the doses started spreading out a bit and then I went to one 5mg Oxycodone instead of two. I did take 2 at night longer because that's when I needed it. Knee 2, however, has not felt as good as quickly, so here I am at day 10 on the original prescribed dosage & grateful for it every single time! With your knees being closer together, it will probably be the "newest" one that sets the pace. I hope all goes well at home for you with your recovery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Jeff - great to hear from you! Glad to hear you are home but sorry about the snow, yuck. I'm writing this with my doors and windows open wearing shorts, it's in the 80s in Texas. Hmmm, that was mean, eh?

Med's wise - just listen to your body but for me I also tried a few times too early to switch from percoset to tramadol and that wasn't too fun - I think it was end of week 3 that it sort of naturally moved from every 4 hours to 5 or 6 during the day and maybe 4 or 5 at night, it's tougher to keep the meds straight when it's not a rigid 4 or 6 but if you keep a notebook handy it works. At the end of week 5 I was at every 6 or 8 hours but I thought the perc was too strong yet tramadol, not enough and my Dr was fine to proscribe vicodin and I did that for 2 weeks - last week I stopped those and just do tylenol with tramadol for break through. The important thing is to do whatever YOUR body needs, there aren't any heroes in knee surgery!
 
Great to hear from you and that you're home. I was on percocet for about 3 weeks this time, and then went down to the hydrocodone for a few weeks after that.

BTW: you don't have to tag everyone, since those who have posted in your thread will likely be checking in. Also we don't like people to have more than a couple of tags at a time b/c it messes with displays for people who read on phones etc.
 
Hi Jeff. How are you going? Coping OK at home I hope. Waiting for an update from you Maggie x
 
sorry about the tags,Vinny made me do it! I want each one of you to know how much your support means. Seems like the second knee might be less swollen today, I'll find out at PT tomorrow. Spenciea, Boston really gave it to the Rangers yesterday but at least the Flyers are going to play golf with Vinny. How many times did your fingers type Flyers before you got Go Rangers Vinny? I feel better about the meds now thanks all.
 
Jeff, I'm glad you're home and coming along so well.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Jeff glad to see the swelling down today....maybe you did not have any reason to jump up and down over the game yesterday...God I can't help myself.........have you eased up on the PT to get rid of the swelling?

Vinny
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom