TKR Jean’s Recovery Thread

@texasjeri, Best wishes on your RTKR in one week! Just keep your body healthy and legs strong as much as you can, pre-op. I had very little pain post op, maybe just one day. I used no PT and did all exercises at my own leisure. No one tried to push my knee for better rom, and my rom is good. Saying that, there are people who have good PT experiences. It was just my personal preference. You may recover well enough to travel by Xmas, or you may not. Maybe your Son and family can come this year. I had to cancel my flight twice when I thought I was ready but not. We will try again in 5 weeks and pretty sure my knee will be ready then. I played almost 30 years of racquetball fairly competitively, then scaled down to Pickleball when knees got bad. I wanted to have the knee fixed so I could play the sport I love without limping or pain, but I learned to be patient in the process. Sounds like a good retirement plan to get a RV after you are retired. It’s fun.
 
Four months post op and my RTKR seems holding up ok. Hubby and I have done short rv trips a few times already, been playing pickleball 2-3 times a week(albeit I am far from my pre surgery playing level yet), been walking fine and just going about my daily life in general. My plane ride at 3 months was a little uncomfortable but did fine, and I will fly again soon. I have not had any swelling or needed icing for many weeks now. I am lucky to have no pain either, just still having a little tightness here and there. I was unknowingly got on a hiking trail(thinking it was an easy base trail) in a State Park on the Xmas day and ended up on a pretty high rocky mountain. Coming down was a huge pain, holding onto one stick and with Hubby tightly holding my other hand. I ended up did a five mile hike on that pretty challenging rocky trail! My knee was complaining that night with a bit tightness but feeling no pain at all. My knee surprised myself! From reading others' posts, I know issues could still pop up later on, so I have my fingers crossed in this journey. Even though the new knee has been pain free so far, a bionic knee will never be like the original’s and has its limitations. Pray that my left knee will last and never need to be replaced! Wishing everyone is recovering well, hanging there, and happy holidays to all!
 
How great to read such a positive post . At 3 months can’t quite see me doing a mountain trail anytime soon but gives me hope thanks.!
 
Coming down was a huge pain
I still have problems coming down a steep trail. Steps are so much easier! Sometimes I still go down the trails backwards. I feel safer that way.

Pray that my left knee will last and never need to be replaced!
Boy, you and me, too! I don't want to have to go through another one of these!
 
Right now I wish I hadn't but maybe in a few months I will be happy I have a matching pair... Bionic woman... Lol.
 
Oh don't worry, if you need a new knee, you can handle it!! the second one was easier for me because I took it easier, no rushing to PT!!
 

Staff online

  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom