TKR JDinCT Recovery Thread

Good morning everyone from sunny New England!.... it's looking more like Spring every day... I only have about an inch of snow remaining my yard and that should be melted by tomorrow!

Today is one week post-op for me. Progress trend is still positive overall.

Last couple of days starting to get "zingers" in my knee and involuntary muscle contractions in my quads. :unsure:
I'm taking this as the nerves and muscles re-establishing communications with the rest of my body.

Also getting throbbing pain in the middle of the night. Last night it was 2 AM. By 2:30 AM I had the ice machine up and running and was back to sleep by 3 AM and rested comfortably until 5:30 AM. Let the cryo compression machine run from 2:30 - 5:30 and it was able to almost completely alleviate the throbbing pain. :yay:

Had a visit from PT (Physical Terrorist :rotfl:) and nurse yesterday. Discussed "my" method of PT with therapist and he totally agreed to whatever made me feel better and get better results. I employed that methodology yesterday and it seemed to work. Do a few PT exercises... then ice and compression for at least 30 minutes... then repeat that process throughout the day.

The nurse did her exam and will likely discharge me from home nursing visits on Friday. Her overall assessment was that I was progressing very well and no real need for her to visit after Friday.:cheers:

Got the day started today with PT and feeling very good. Noticed that my quad muscles are quivering when doing leg lifts. I take that as the weakness leaving my body :yes!:. My quads completely shut down post-op. I'm hoping my pre-op cycling background will help them bounce back relatively quickly.

One thing my knee does not like at all, is standing for ANY extending period of time. I stood up for about 20 minutes last night helping prepare dinner... the knee swelled immediately and significantly with a good level of pain (about a 6). I'm sure this will come along in time as well.... hopefully sooner than later. :praying:

Wishing everyone positive progress on their recovery today. It's one day at a time... :thumb:

[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread


[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread
 
Last edited:
@JDinCT
You are showing those skinny legs to make me feel jealous again -)

Seriously though you sound as if you are doing great and your wound looks very neat.

I have had those zingers too. Mine feel like the current from a TENS machine but they only last a few seconds.

Keep up the good work.

I love the physical terrorist :-)
 
@JDinCT Im I'm New England also. Beautiful day today. Glad your doing well. This is day 7 PO for me. Yesterday was my worse day. Therapy going good just getting my mind to remember this is a slow process. Hope you have a great day. Time for my nap
 
I wish I could lift my leg like that! First day post op I could. 2nd day it was on strike and it still is. Your wound is looking good.
I’m in the UK. Wet and windy here so happy to be on semi house arrest!
 
Physical Terrorist That made my day! Even got a belly laugh from it. Of course my hubby and dogs looked at me like I lost my cookies!
 
Happy St. Patty's Day everyone! :cheers:

Hope everyone is one step closer in their full recovery today!:thumb:

I've settled in to a somewhat predictable routine and seeing steady improvement overall. Swelling is somewhat controlled as I'm icing, elevating and compression about an average of eight hours a day including an occasional early morning marathon session.

Finding that my pain level tends to rise every evening around 6 PM and then again after midnight. I have adjusted my meds around those times. Taking 10 mg of oxycodone at 6 PM and then just before bedtime seems to keep the pain at bay and allow for a pretty good quality night's sleep usually getting 4-5 quality sleep hours combined with some 2-3 twilight rest. Not really napping during the day at all. Continue to get "zingers" during evening and overnight. I will not miss them when they are gone... :wow:

Continue to do my physical therapy stretching daily and progressing into some added difficulty stretching. I'm getting some control back in my quads but still have stiffness in the knee. I am now allowed some use of the cane and use it about 50% of my "walking" around the house throughout the day. I am able to negotiate the stairs pretty well and this is actually part of PT sessions. I've also added some light upper body dumbell weight exercises to my daily routine so I do not lose too much strength there during recovery.

My last session with the in-home Physical Terrorist was Friday and if all things continue to progress, we might try to get on the bike next week for just stretching with no resistance. I'm working hard toward that goal and keeping my fingers crossed that will come to fruition. :praying:

For information ONLY.... my ROM is slightly better at +5 extension and 105 flex.
Wishing everyone a peaceful and pain free (at least less pain) Sunday! :prayer:
 
Happy St Paddy’s Day! :cheers: Sounds like you are doing great so far! I find my pain is the same! It’s almost like when I had babies their witching hour was always around dinner hour lol. Guess makes sense it is a baby knee lol. On a cane 50 % that’s great, I’m on walker or crutches still.I don’t start pt until Friday, we don’t have in home pt and I’m no stranger to where I’ll be going. I felt my knee needed two weeks to get the swelling down. Keep up the great work !!:) :-) (:
 
Thanks Jolease.. my best to you in your recovery. I feel I'm progressing pretty well.
 
@JDinCT
Things sound as if they are still going well for you.

I might try the bike this week as well. Maybe even just sit on it and not necessarily do anything else at the moment.

I have been having real trouble sleeping but Josephine has suggested I was trying to come off my meds too early. Took the full doses last night and slept much better. :)

Have a good day
 
Last edited:
You have a great attitude. I'm sure that helps. I loved the Physical Terrorist, so apt, made me laugh.

Happy St Paddy's day to you :cheers:
 
Lovely to read such a positive update. It sounds like you are doing really well
 
Sounds like everyone is doing good. I think nighttime is worse for all of us. I also noticed when I have what I think is a good day it's followed by a bad night and next day.
Good Sunday Blessings to everyone
 
Thanks everyone for your kind words and well wishes... :friends:

Thought I would post up something fun and tasty..... felt pretty good yesterday so I got ahead of the St. Paddys Day celebration with my own version of corned beef and cabbage.... instead of soda bread, I like rye which I will use today to make some corned beef sandwiches as the celebration continues.
Unfortunately there is no Irish dancing for me this year.... but I will be back strong next year!:dancy:

[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread


[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread
 
@JDinCT, send some my way! Looks yummy. Now, where is the green beer or Irish Whiskey to go with it? Oh, that’s right, you might still be on pain meds. But I’m not! :heehee:

Keep up the great recovery and before you know it you will be celebrating next year’s St Patrick’s Day doing that Irish Jig and toasting a few current friends and past loved ones with a beer or whiskey (or two).
 
Happy First Day of Spring to Everyone!! :flwrysmile:

Today I'm 14 days post-op. The visiting nurse released me from her care yesterday. Two nights ago I actually slept through the night in one shot.... 7 glorious hours of quality sleep! :wow:

Of course like most things with this recovery... it was short lived as the last two nights the pain fairy paid a visit around 3-4 AM. Cranked up the ice machine for a couple hours and took small dose of pain meds to level things out.

It's amazing how this surgery affects the quad muscle. Mine is just starting to fire and become somewhat reliable. However, it is still very weak and almost undefined. It's like starting from scratch the first day you ever walked into the gym or took up a new sport. The muscle has to be trained and developed all over again. Simply based upon my PT exercises, I can tell this will likely be my longest aspect of my recovery. I'm just seeing some minor muscle definition in my quad.

Speaking of PT..... The Physical Terrorist paid me a visit today with some new tortuous exercises... :heehee:

I'm moving into Level 3 exercises which consists of some very light leg weights to help regain the quad muscle. I was able to walk about 200 feet unaided.... no cane.... no walker... :yay:

My gait seemed to be even and relatively normal.... but still somewhat tentative. I had to think about each step... He is setting up my outpatient PT to start next week, so appears I will graduate from elementary to middle school next week PT-wise..... Looking forward to the new challenge.

For Information ONLY... My ROM has gotten a little better at 0 extension and 110 flex.

Hope this first day of spring gives everyone renewed hope and progress in their recovery! :thumb:

[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread


[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread
 
Last edited:
we might try to get on the bike next week for just stretching with no resistance
:thumb:
Using a bike to gain ROM is pretty simple:
  • Set the bike to zero resistance
  • Set the saddle low enough so that a single rotation is a challenge; difficult but not painful. When a rotation becomes easy right from the start, lower the saddle a max of 1cm.
  • Gently turn the pedals, through discomfort but without pain.
  • Continue until the knee is 'warmed up' and the rotation is now easy, or for 2 minutes, whichever is the shorter time.
  • Repeat several/many times a day, but don't go mad. Diminishing returns will apply; my guess is that half a dozen reps would be enough
  • Do not pedal fast or for more than 2 minutes, this is a stretching exercise, not training.
  • And if you get any pain or swelling in the 24 hours after doing this, cut it down until you don't
Here is a bit more chat and some pix and how 'healing' and 'training' are different

some very light leg weights to help regain the quad muscle
If it hurts, or causes swelling or pain later, stop! Training exercises can set back healing if overdone.
 
@JDinCT. So happy to hear about your progress. Sounds like you are doing amazing.
You said the epidural made you anxious

I am a very anxious person to begin with
Was there anything they could live you for anxiety during that time. ? I would need it or may go into a panic attack.

I am thinking I may be better off with general
Vs Spinal.

How did the epidural feel pre surgery ?
I cant image not feeling my legs. That would certainly raise my anxiety a lot
Thanks for your updates


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sounds like your recovery is going great! My quad is very weak also. Great report! I’ll find out my ROM tomorrow. :)
 
@Vansan I had no sensation whatsoever when they gave me the epidural. I'm not sure of the sequence of the anesthesia … so I'm sure if they gave me the epidural after I got the general or not. When I went into recovery room, I was very groggy … as to be expected... so I did not focus on nor was I concerned about the inability to feel my lower extremities. I starting to become anxious after about three hours when I still could not feel anything nor move my legs, feet, ankles or even toes. It was an odd circumstance for me as I do not normally get anxious at all.

Everyone is different as well as each surgical procedure. Your experience might be different. Hope this helps you make a more informed decision with your surgical team. I would urge you to have this discussion with your surgical team BEFORE the day of your surgery. They would be the most equipped to help you make a final decision.

Best of luck!... :thumb:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom