TKR JDinCT Recovery Thread

JDinCT just be careful with more intense exercise. I’m nearly six weeks out, first day of spring yesterday ditched using my crutch indoors, went out with friends for lunch, helped hubby make the dinner and the knee felt great——-until 2am this morning, ouch was it sore, ice pack didn’t help and today it’s as tight as hell:groan:
 
I concur with Lilli. I upped my exercise programme at 4 weeks and did myself no favours. It took over a week before I was back on schedule. It's so easy to get carried away when everything is going smoothly, so just take care. You're doing great so far. It would be a shame to regress.
 
Good day everyone! Lilli215, Lindylee and Roy Gardinier.... Thanks you for the reminder to take it easy and not overdo the PT. I tend to go at things 150% and will need constant reminder to "take it easy".

Had my last visit from in home PT today. I have been discharged to outpatient PT starting Monday morning. I feel like I'm making pretty good strides on my stretching and even the minimal exercises to regain my quad muscle.

Today I was able to ride the stationary bike for two minutes. Had to raise the seat as high as it would go, but was able to ride without significant discomfort. Have to say... it felt SO GOOD to be back on the bike... :biking:

The tightness in the incision is loosening up well.... but I did have to out in some extra effort yesterday to get one area of the incision to loosen up.

For Information ONLY... ROM today was 0 extension and 115 flex.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread
 
Your looking good neighbor, keep it up and you will be fine.
 
I keep trying my stationary bike but can't get a whole rotation yet. Still, I think that just a little bit backwards and forwards might help.

You are doing really well @JDinCT
 
@JDinCT You are doing GREAT!! Your incision looks very good! I am 6 months out and parts of my incision do not look as good as yours. Not because of lack of skill of my OS, Early on I pushed for to much ROM before my incision completely closed. I ripped part of it open on the surface. It finally healed, but it does not look as good as it could have. You are doing GREAT, resist the urge to over do it!
 
You're doing great. The quad should come back largely on its own, but if whatever you're doing isn't causing more pain and swelling you should be ok. You seem to be using your common sense and listening to the knee. :thumb:
 
Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

I took my first steps outside today for a short 10 minute walk. Felt REALLY good to breathe in the spring air... it was about 55 Deg F today in southern Connecticut.

I also took my first drive today down to where my outpatient PT will be. It was a very short drive... about 10 miles round trip. No problems or issues driving at all.... :thumb:

One other good thing to report... might seem odd to some.... but I woke up today and my quad felt sore... but a very good sore.... it was the muscle waking up and responding to the light exercises I've been doing... it was not knee soreness or any surgery related … but good recovery soreness.... I most welcome it!... :yahoo:

My quad seems to be getting more strength and definition almost daily.... I just need to throttle my internal drive to push it....
:upright::treadmill::bicycle1:

Hope everyone is having a good recovery day!

[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread


[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread
 
@JDinCT congratulations, it’s a great feeling isn’t it when a bit of normality comes back into your life. I drove for first time yesterday and although knee was a bit stiff I managed fine:yes!:
 
@JDinCT well done you! I can’t wait to drive again but there is no way I’m ready yet. I did do 2, 10 minute walks round the block as it was a beautiful sunny day in Warwickshire UK!
 
@JDinCT
Wow, you look really well. Being able to do those things that we take for granted, driving, walking, make such a difference to how you feel.
As @catkin69 said it was a beautiful day here yesterday (for those in the U.K., yes, it was even a nice day in Wales) I also managed a walk. It's too hilly where I live so husband drove me up the road to a flat spot and we walked 15mins out and 15mins back. I felt tired afterwards but it was good to be out and see the spring lambs.
 
Good morning everyone!

Lillie215, catkin69, Bionic... thank you for the kind words of encouragement... it is true when you find yourself able to do normal everyday things again that we typically we take for granted.... it is such a psychological boost... :happydance:

Hoping everyone has a great recovery day!! :thumb:
 
Good morning everyone!

My progress continues to be mostly positive. Had my first outpatient PT last Monday.... it was a challenge... but physically felt good to not only get through it... but also being able to drive there on my own.

I am now riding stationary bike for 10 minutes and am able to ascend AND descend stairs foot-over-foot .... unaided… the stairs are not pretty... but I'm confident the form will improve over time.

Wishing everyone a great day in your recovery journey! :friends:
[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread
 
Wow, I can do stairs (had lots of practice) but not foot over foot. Keep up the good work
 
Being able to do stairs foot over foot this early in recovery is a real achievement. Many people take much longer than you have. :thumb: :yay:
 
Good morning everyone! It's going to be a beautiful spring day here is southern Connecticut!

Yesterday I was 21 days post-op. It was a very busy day.... spent about two hours sitting at my normal office desk... some in-home PT... then outpatient PT in the afternoon.... followed by my first outing for lunch with a friend down by the shore.... managed to walk outside and in/around the restaurant without a cane or other aid.... I might have even had a glass or two of wine... :snork:

By the time I got back home around 5 PM... I was so tired... had some swelling …. some dull pain... went immediately into icing and elevation mode all evening and night.... woke up today feeling the best I've felt during my entire recovery.... mentally and physically... :wow:

A true glimpse of normalcy....

Hope everyone has a great spring recovery day! :thumb:

Below is an afternoon photo of 21 day post-op...

[Bonesmart.org] JDinCT Recovery Thread
 
Wow. You are healing up great.
I thought of you today, as I'm working on a bike. I was jealous of your stationary bike, so I'm building my own setup. Magnetic trainer from Goodwill $12. GT Avalanche mountain bike for $25. It already had a very long seat post, but I had to buy a headset riser ($30, new).
 
Wine! The cure all. What fantastic progress you are making. A bit of sunshine and a semblance of normality works wonders.
 
@JDinCT I have been following your thread and you are an inspiration to me!

I am having LTNR on 4/11 and live in CT as well.

I know to listen to my body / knee but I really hope my recovery has the same positive tone that yours has.

I prepared physically the best I can, now I am preparing myself mentally with the help of folks like you!

All the best!
 
@jeffjob Thank you for the kind words! Sounds like you have the right physical and mental state going in.... IMO, that is 75% of the battle. There will be setbacks … and there will be days when it's difficult to muster the physical and mental fortitude to move forward or deal with the issues.... but as long as the overall trend is positive, then you will be fine. Everyone is different for sure.... your body and new knee will be your guide... I will say as well... don't be afraid to push it a little if that's already in your DNA .. again not into the PAIN zone... but into the discomfort zone.... and when you do... immediately ice and elevate.... I spend about 6-8 hours a day with my ice machine....

I will attribute at least part of my recovery to that process.

Best of luck on your surgery!!:thumb:
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom