TKR JD’s Recovery<

Therapy was normal exercises - heel slides, leg lifts, stretching, squats, toe touches off a 8” step and 7 minutes on a bike st level 2. Nothing odd but did add additional weight on leg lifts

Took 2 extra strength Tylenol and going to bed hopefully that will help once I get relaxed

Now have another issue pain in the back of the knee after therapy today.
Therapy was normal excercises heel slides, leg lifts, stretching, squats, toe touches off a 8” step and 7 minutes on a bike st level 2 nothing odd but did add additional weight on leg lifts

I am going to tag @Josephine
our forum administrator and nurse director to your new pain.

but did add additional weight on leg lifts
Can you be more specific here?

I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't forget to factor in other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness).

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how swollen is your leg compared to these?
ai63.tinypic.com_eta39s.jpg

4. what is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

5. are you icing your knee at all? If so, how often and for how long?

6. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Josephine here are the answers

1 - pain wise is 0 but factoring in stiffness and swelling would be a 3

2 - I was prescribed oxycodine of 5 mg every four hours as needed I have not taken any for over 4 weeks as of now

3 - knee swelling is slight

4 - as of today flexionis 118 and extension is 0

5 - I have been icing in morning when I wake up again after morning exercises and again late afternoon after excercises for an hour or so every time

6 - elevation is normally done with the icing so 3 times per day

7 - my activity is basically walking around house at least every hour i have gone shopping with my wife once a week and have been going into the office 2 times a week for 3/4 hours each day

8 - home excercises are done twice a day and consist of:
standing leg raises front side and back 10 times each
squats 10 3x
marching 10 2x
one leg balance 10x
placing leg on stair and stretching count of 10 10x
toe touches on 8” step 10 3x
lying leg raises front side and back 3 sets of 10
sitting knee straightening 3 sets of 10
heel slides 2 sets of 10

9 - pt is 3x per week same exercises as above, along with stationary bike for 8-10 minutes and then pt stretching the knee

Last edited by a moderator:
@jdr196 - I've edited your answers a bit, to make it easier for us to see what exercises you're doing.
When they were all in one paragraph they just seemed to run into one another.

Maybe you had too much weight on the leg lifts. You really don't need weight until you're much more healed.

At home the leg lifts have no weight at therapy the weight is 4lbs for the leg lifts

1 - pain wise is 0 but factoring in stiffness and swelling would be a 3
Okay
2 - I was prescribed oxycodone 5mg every four hours as needed. I have not taken any for over 4 weeks as of now
Nothing at all?
4 - as of today flexion is 118 and extension is 0
118/0 is excellent!
5 - I have been icing in morning when I wake up again after morning exercises and again late afternoon after exercises for an hour or so every time
Good
6 - elevation is normally done with the icing so 3 times per day
Good
7 - my activity is basically walking around house at least every hour. I have gone shopping with my wife once a week and have been going into the office 2 times a week for ¾ hour each day

home exercises are done twice a day - once a day is plenty and none at all at the weekend
standing leg raises, front, side and back x10 each - none of these
squats 10 3x - don't like squats
marching 10 2x - marching is unnecessary
one leg balance 10x - and one leg balance!
placing leg on stair and stretching count of 10 10x - these are also excessive
toe touches on 8” step 10 3x - not these
lying leg raises front side and back 3 sets of 10 - once you can do these, you don't need to do them any more!
sitting knee straightening 3 sets of 10 - these are superlative
heel slides 2 sets of 10 - there are also excess to requirements mostly because your ROM is already excellent!

pt is 3x per week same exercises as above
along with stationary bike for 8-10 minutes - that's okay
pt stretching the knee - never, ever let her do that!

I make these suggestions in like with this protocol BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy.
So essentially I am recommending that you stop ALL exercising given that your ROM is 118/0 and that you are almost 11 weeks post-op.

If you are concerned about refusing to do therapy, you need to read this Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Issues have decreased greatly except the itching that is off and on. Was at doctors Monday as for the knee everything is on target wants me to work more on strength now says more flexion will come on it’s own. With the itching he wants to wait and see how things progress.

Itching is not all the time but can get pretty intense and when it happens it can be anywhere on my body and it drives me crazy until Benadryl kicks in

If anyone one has any ideas let me know

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks