TKR Jazzy4564's recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good! I think having the ultrasound is needed, just to be safe. Hopefully nothing will be found. Good luck!
 
Well I had my ultrasound today. They said it would be read today and results sent to my OS. I finally called their office at 3:45 to see if they had the results and they must have closed early for the holiday weekend. I'm assuming no news is good news but it would have been nice to find out before the long weekend!
 
@Jazzy4564 I seems like they would have taken the time to let you know. Now you will just fret until Tuesday! Try to keep your mind off it, I am sure if it was serious they would have gotten in touch with you!
 
Yes, I assume if they saw something I would have heard from them right away. I am snuggled on the couch with my cryo cuff hoping for a good night's sleep. Hope you get one too.
 
:groan: Ugh, I hate to be left waiting and wondering like that. I'm sorry they did that to you but like you said, hopefully they didn't see anything and that's why they didn't call.
 
I'm sorry I haven't reported in for awhile. I had my follow up appointment with my OS last Tuesday. He apologized for the confusion regarding the results of my ultrasound and the fact nobody contacted me. There is no blood clot so that is great news. He said everything looked great and wanted to see me back in 6 weeks. My PT was originally scheduled for 6 weeks but my therapist wants to continue to see me 2 days a week for 4 more weeks. My ROM is great, extension is decent (they usually have to warm me up before I can get to zero). She mainly wants to work on my quad strength. She is also using the "tools" on my calf, hoping to work that pain out. All I can say is OUCH!! OS approved additional sessions as long as I am getting a benefit from it. I guess my insurance company will let me know if it is a problem. I'm happy to report I am returning to work tomorrow! I never thought I would be so excited to go back to work. I have my ice pack ready and plan to ice and elevate during the day. My OS refilled my Tramadol but I'm hoping this will be the last script I need. My son plays college golf so the hubby and I drove 3 1/2 hours to Kentucky to watch him play and stayed the weekend. My knee held up well and feels good tonight. Although I don't post much, I check in with all of you frequently to see how everyone is doing :).
 
Hey Cheryl, so glad you didn't have a blood clot. I hear you on the PT "tools". Ouch for sure! My PT thinks I'll be ready for discharge week after this. I'm just not feeling ready at all. I really feel like I need to work more on strength, not only for this knee and leg but the next one. I see my OS on the 15th so I'll talk to him about it then. I know they have to keep showing progress to the insurance company so maybe she thinks that will be an issue, I don't know. Good luck going back to work and check in when you can now and then.
 
Are you only allotted so many PT sessions in a year? Since you are having both knees done, they have to split them? I'm pretty sure my insurance will question my extra sessions but hey, I've blown my max deductible out of the water so if I need them, they should pay ;)
 
My insurance will pay for 40 PT sessions a year and will approve more if needed but it would require pre-authorization. I've only gone 10 times so far and she is talking about only 3 more sessions.
 
@gr82cu2, I have been going to PT 3 days a week but now I will just be going 2 days a week. Hopefully you will feel ready to stop next week when Michelle thinks you are ready. It's harder to stay motivated at home because the PTs just push me harder than I probably push myself. I survived my first day back to work and it went remarkably well. I hope I sleep good tonight.
 
@Jazzy4564 Stopping by to say Hi, Sounds like you are doing well. So glad it wasn't a clot! Glad you survived your first day back to work! Keep up the good work.
 
@gr82cu2, Hi there! Thanks for checking on me. I'm doing as good as I probably should be. I am 12 weeks out today. I still have some swelling, pain in the calf and tingling in my foot. I had an appointment with my OS yesterday and he didn't seem too concerned about the tingling because of the swelling. Hopefully as that goes down, the tingling will go away. I do have a less than attractive keloid scar that should fade over time but I don't know if it will ever be flat and smooth. I just keeping holding onto the hope that it does take a full year to fully recover as I still have tightness and stiffness, especially after sitting for very long. I found out a couple weeks ago that I am going to be a grandma. I'm so excited!! I thanked my doctor yesterday for not telling me I was too young to have this surgery because I want to be able to keep up with grandkids some day. That day came sooner than I thought as they just celebrated their one-year wedding anniversary. How are you getting along?
 
Awwww a grand baby! What fun and you will feel great by the time the little one arrives.

Maybe your swelling is causing a little nerve irritation? I have sparks of nerve pain now and then but nothing too dramatic. They tend to be right in the center of my knee cap. Sorry about your scar. It should get better with time. Mine is still kind of weird with puckers here and there. It spit out a stitch last week and I think I have another one working its way to the surface.

I also still have the swelling and stiffness but it is gradually getting better. I can cope with it for longer periods of time now, anyway. I have my next knee coming up on November 4th. Pre-op testing is next Monday so I'm about to say, 'here we go again'. I'm still doing PT twice a week and will continue that until at least the end of the year. Hopefully this 2nd knee will be happy enough by the end of the year that I can stop going. I will miss Michelle though, LOL! She has been the most pleasant thing about this whole process.

I'm glad you answered back. I was thinking of you the other day and just wondering how you are getting along. Take care and don't hesitate to say hi once in awhile :)
 
@Jamie, would you mind posting the knee pain chart for me? Once I locate where my pain is located on the chart, I have some questions. Thank you!
 
Sure....here it is. Tag me once you locate the painful areas.

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?

[Bonesmart.org] Jazzy4564's recovery

[Bonesmart.org] Jazzy4564's recovery
 
@Jamie, I have pain starting around mid to lower DRF1 going down in a half moon shape to the inside. It hurts when I press on it and especially when I walk on it. Sometimes it is worse than others. I just had my 12 week follow up last week and the x-rays showed everything looked good. I mentioned this pain to him and I believe he said something about that's where it tracked. Honestly, I'm not sure. I wish I would have written my questions and his answers down. I also have some tingling, mild numbness around my ankle running up the side of my foot to my toes and I've had that since surgery. My calf is still somewhat swollen and he said it could be the swelling is pressing on the surel nerve. He didn't seem too concerned about it until the swelling goes down. Thanks for any feedback you may have for me.
 
@Jazzy4564, I'm inclined to agree with your surgeon and say it's soft tissue pain that will lessen with more time. I know 12 weeks seems like a long time, but it's really still very early in the recovery process. I'll tag @Josephine so that she can comment also when she returns to the forum in about a week. In the meantime, the best thing you can do is try to take it easy when you are hurting. Don't hesitate to use ice and pain medication to help keep pain and inflammation minimal. It may be that you're just going to need more time. It's not joke for some knees that 6 months to a year or more are needed to resolve all the soft tissue discomfort.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom