TKR JasmineTheCat leaps forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all for your thoughts and advice. @Jamie, I believe our visiting nurses use the finger sticks. It is just the rehab facility I'm in believes a blood test gives more accurate results. I'm only here 3 more days so I guess I can make it through. I feel better for having complained!
 
@Jasminethecat Hope you are having a better day today! Hang in there, you will be home soon!
I read somewhere (can't remember where) that if you verbalize your pain it lessens it. So saying ouch, or screaming or complaining is good for you as it lessens your pain.
 
I had also been trying to cut back on pain med and I probably agreed to too big a jump. Today I told MD I wanted the meds on a regular schedule, not prn at night. He agreed so I'm hopeful I'll be feeling a bit better soon.
 
I think you're right to take the pain meds on a schedule for now. Gradually you will find you can go longer between doses and then stop (or at least be only on tylenol) --but that's a very individual process.
 
Another day, another problem! So today spent about 45 minutes with my leg elevated and my head down on a flat bed (with 1 pillow). When I got up, I got light headed. Then I got chilly; then my hands got very cold and my whole interior felt wrong. I drank fluids and closed my eyes for about an hour before my hands started to warm up again. I felt somewhat light headed for a few hours. Then I remembered that I've never liked having my head on the floor, or on a bed without pillows. It's always made me somewhat dizzy.

I know how important elevation is to reducing swelling. Do you have suggestions of how I can do it without feeling so sick?
 
@Jasminethecat do you have your own bp machine, sounds kind of like your blood pressure is doing odd things or it could be an inner ear thing. You don't have to have your head down to elevate. You can be sitting up in a bed or chair and elevate your leg. Try to get your foot up to at least the level of your heart if you are sitting up straight. Higher would be better, but you do need comfort too. With swelling you need to elevate so gravity can pull the fluids causing the swelling out of your leg so your body can absorb it.
 
Thank you @tiredwife. I didn't know that. I really appreciate your help. (By the way, we tested my blood pressure and it was fine while this was happening.) I'll try again tomorrow, after getting today totally out of my system.
 
@Jasminethecat I have issues with my ears because of all the sinus infections, and often get that dizzy feeling when rising because of them. If you are having allergy or other sinus issues that could be the problem.
 
@Jasminethecat I had to chime in here in hopes of convincing you that it will get better and better! For some reason that I cannot explain, a lot of us deal with ROM going up and down. I also think it depends on who is measuring and how you are positioned at the time. It's kinda like your body weight. It's only a number! Just keep doing what you need to do and your goal will come. Of course, just like weight loss, it's never fast enough for us! Be nice to that new knee,you gotta stay friends for a long time!

Mary
 
Thanks all. I had a better day yesterday and I'm going home today! I think rehab was good but I'm not ready for the real world...and to see me cats again!
Jasmine
[Bonesmart.org] JasmineTheCat leaps forward

and Fitzroy.
[Bonesmart.org] JasmineTheCat leaps forward
 
Those cats are simply gorgeous @Jasminethecat - I am in no doubt that you cannot wait to get back to them.
Oh my goodness, so beautiful - I would just love to pet them.
Hope you are feeling a bit better today and that you have found an elevating position that suits. So much of this recovery is trial and error - just finding what works for you, your body and your circumstances.
[Bonesmart.org] JasmineTheCat leaps forward
XXX
 
@Jasminethecat Love your kitties! So beautiful. Is Fitzroy a Maine Coon? Jasmine looks like she rules the roost. You will feel better in your own home.
 
@dogwheels @tiredwife
Yes, I am happy to be at home.

At first it was all confusing as I tried to 1) figure out a comfortable place to sit for a while, 2) sort out all my many medications, and 3) recover from the rehab's discharge process and hour's drive home. I found it hard to move about with my walker - I kept going from wooden floor to area rug to wooden floor to mat. I was fine at climbing stairs but had to have my husband drag the walker up behind me so I could ambulate once there. The walker won't fit between my side of the bed and the wall so I am sleeping in our den on a recliner/sofa. It is so very comfortable that I opted to spend my whole first day home in that cosy nest. I have pillows & quilt and I have books, laptop computer, tv and bathroom with raised toilet right nearby. Can't imagine a happier spot.

Yesterday I had the intake visit from the visiting nurse (to monitor my Coumadin level) and the physical therapist. My sister also visited is it felt like a really busy day.

The physical therapist measured my good leg by mistake! Then she measured my surgical leg and found I could bend it to the same 114 degrees as my "good" leg! She said they usually try for 120, but if my good leg and surgical knee were both at 114 I was essentially cured! How amazing is that. When she returns we'll practice walking with a cane. I'd love to make that transition so I could leave the clunky walker behind.

Today is much quieter, calmer day. My dear husband no longer seems so frantic about trying to do everything to keep me medicated and comfortable...and that goes a long way to make me feel happier, too.

I'm doing really well with pain right now. I just want to be sure not to overdo anything because I like this pain free feeling. So for today, I am a happy cat.

Yes, Fitzroy is a Maine Coon Cat; Jasmine is a Ragdoll. When our prior kitties passed away my husband and I decided to actually buy a pure bred cat to each get "the cat of our dreams". And we're so glad we did. These kitties are sweet and adorable...and yes, Jasmine does think she is in charge.

Hope everyone is having an equally happy day today!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jasminethecat Evelyn glad you are home and getting comfortable. Hubby couldn't manage the walker in our house either so he used his crutches until he switched to his cane. Maine Coons are such smart cats. We've had two that are part Maine Coon and both are very smart. The one we have now plays fetch and will shake paws and spin off the lid of a jar if you hold it sideways. Our Ragdoll mix is a rug, she is a lazy old cat, she thinks it is her job to protect my husband! We have a British Shorthair that is our worrier, and a grey tabby that is our smallest but meanest. They make life interesting. Your ROM is great and will even get better with time.
 
@Jasminethecat Evelyn
Congrats on being home and all the great progress you have made! Don't forget that this is a process and it's too early to sing up for a marathon.

I sure wish I could get to my second floor, but I have 9 1/2" risers and no handrails! It's gonna be a long while for me.

By the way, your fur babies are beautiful!

Mary
 
Hi @Jasminethecat - so glad you are at home and doing so well. Slowly and gently does it!

My husband was just the same, he was so on edge when I got home from hospital, but calmed down when he could see that I was no different, just a bit temporarily immobile. You will be glad when you ditch the walker. I had crutches after 48hrs and they made life so much easier for getting around.

Jasmine is a beauty. My friend has a ragdoll called 'Cuthbert' - he has the same little light coloured 'chin' - is it a characteristic of ragdolls, I wonder? I love Maine Coons too, in fact I love ALL cats!

Take care and hope every day brings a little improvement to spur you on.

XXX
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom