TKR Jan's journey to jump!

@jan8482 hope you can get comfy and sleep well...it's good to have everything within reach?..when you wake up at 2am, 3am, 4am etc.. You're bound to need something! I always have my water, my pills and the remote control within reach lol. As far as shedding those tears, no worries dear girl... I'm 7 weeks out today and there hasn't been more than 3 days without a good cry. I think we all go through our ups and downs. Sleep well!
 
First full day at home is in the books. Last night went really well. I guess my biggest complaint is getting up to go potty every 2 hours. Since we are sleeping in different rooms, I have to call him all the time. It wouldn't matter, I'd have to disturb him anyway. He has to take my compression footies off and then help me get up. We elected to get the portable potty and it has been a life saver. Then he has to help me back in bed and put the footies back on. Back to sleep for another hour or two. Then we start all over again. But he was a real trooper last night.

I could not get my leg comfortable this morning. I finally squiggled and squirmed and got it just right. Then I put the proverbial bag of peas/corn on the exact places I wanted ice. That helped a lot.

I did my PT exercises as well as my RT as much as required. I walked about 50 feet four or five times. I slept. I finally arranged a chair and ottoman in the family room just the right height, so I was able to socialize with the fam for several hours. Of course they had been visiting me in the bedroom. Let my pup controlled sit on my lap several times.

About to go to bed. All in all I'd say it was a very good day. Friends brought dinner, sent flowers and have been emailing. Nice to stay connected. Hope you all are progressing and healing as well. Really am enjoying this therapy. Ttyt!
 
@jan8482 So glad you had an easy first day and evening! Keep up the positive attitude and try not to overdo...it has a way of sneaking up on you and knocking you for a loop when you least expect it... At 7 weeks, I've been knocked for that loop but not going down without a fight! Keep us up to date...:)
 
I guess my biggest complaint is getting up to go potty every 2 hours.
I know that's a nuisance, but it's giving you all the exercise your knee needs at this stage.
 
Good morning. I hope you were able to get some sleep. I understand getting up to go so much! I would get up, potty, then make a lap around the house with my walker, and go back to sleep. The walk seemed to make my leg not have that restless feeling - and it was a good way to pump some blood to avoid clots. I looked at it that way. How long do you have to wear the compression booties? Are you doing ankle pumps also?
 
I think I'm to wear the compression booties for a month. That's when I go back to see him. Yes, I am doing the ankle pumps. Along with the other 4 or 5 basic exercises. I'm still doing the spirometer. Not sure how long for that one. It was a little overwhelming at the time.

I had a bit of a rough night. I'm not quite sure why they give you all the pain meds to take during the day. Does he really think we sleep 11 hours at night...with no pain pills? The one or two that I have control over, I am adjusting a bit.

Do you all ever want to just bend your leg or do something other than keeping it straight? It's just every other part of my leg hurts except my knee. The ankle and shin as well as behind my knee hurt the most. I don't really understand it.


Just not as good of a day today. Maybe that means tonight will be better. I've walked and done my exercises. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions? Thanks, Jan
 
I elevate my knee with three pillows as shown in the library, then have it straight, then put a pillow under my heel and then go through the whole series again. I also at times let me knee just easily bend while sitting in my chair. It seems I stay in each position every 20 minutes or so during the day. I'll also get up and walk a bit in my house. Eventually I find a position where I can be comfortable enough to take a nap. Hopefully you can change your position enough to allow your legs to be more comfortable.
 
I had a bit of a rough night. I'm not quite sure why they give you all the pain meds to take during the day. Does he really think we sleep 11 hours at night...with no pain pills? The one or two that I have control over, I am adjusting a bit.
You need to spread the pain medications evenly over 24 hours, so that you keep up a constant level in your bloodstream. If you don't do that, you will be playing catch-up with the pain, which is never good.

I used to set my alarm clock to ring in the night when a pain medication was due.

Do you all ever want to just bend your leg or do something other than keeping it straight? It's just every other part of my leg hurts except my knee. The ankle and shin as well as behind my knee hurt the most. I don't really understand it.
Have you been told you need to keep your leg straight all the time? That's very uncomfortable and it's not necessary. You can sleep any way you feel comfortable, except don't put a pillow under your knee.
If you look at the pictures in this article, you'll see that the knee is slightly bent.
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
 
I was told to keep my leg straight.....foot even with my hip. I wish I had one of those foam inverted pillows. I also wish I had a hospital bed. So hard to be just the right angle. I do sleep and I do nap. I have adjusted what I can of the pain meds, so we'll see if tonight is better. Thanks for all the suggestions and tips.

My PT is coming tomorrow at 4:00, so I will have all kinds of questions for her. I am having my right knee done in June and I can tell all the added pressure is affecting it. I'm hoping I'll be ready to go through this all again. I work part-time at a school and have to be back the first week in May. Then I'll have the summer off.

Did you all wear the compression footies for a month? Did you inhale into the spirometer for a month? Looking back, I think there was just so much info in my foggy state. Most of the big stuff is all written down.

Thanks again for all the love and support. You all are the best. Thanks,
Jan
 
@jan8482 I was also told by my home PT to keep my leg straight , not to let it flop and put a towel under my hip to keep it steady...that lasted about 10 mins each time I tried then I'd look and it would be flopped again. I mentioned this to my OS and he said the leg is going to bend however it bends...you can't hurt anything.
I don't envy you having your second one done so soon, you'll barely be healed from your first if that. I waited 8 years in between, prob at least 3 too many but I had the feeling I was pushed into the first, trust me...I was ready for this one as I was literally crawling up the stairs to bed each night. If you're not ready, try to buy time with cortisone shots. I did that forever.
As far as the compression hose... Those came off the day after I came home from the hospital (4 days in)...I wld take them on and off , on and off...I couldn't stand them... I just made a conscious effort to do my ankle pumps and up on the walker for short jaunts every hour. Personally I wasn't sleeping so well even with the pain meds on schedule.
The spirometer came home with me but my most wonderful nurse told me deep breaths and hold several times an hour were good unless I was flat on my back for days.... Never a problem there.
It's all so overwhelming... I don't remember 8 years ago how bad it was...I remember saying I'd NEVER do it again , but .... Never say never.
I'm fighting the opiate constipation battle now, nothing seems to be working so today was the dreaded fleets...not even sure that worked totally. Make sure you don't get in that trouble...it's miserable!
I hope you are resting comfortably and taking this time to heal...we are all impatient, none more so than me !! But from reading everyone's posts , I guess we are all in the same boat one way or another.
Stay strong... I see you have puppy as your profile pic, I'm trying to heal fast because I have a deposit on a new puppy whose waiting for me to come get her. I want to make sure I'm ready for the potty training and puppy stage! That is motivation itself, I lost my last one a year and a half ago and my heart is finally ready for another. Won't take her place but will love her just as much I'm sure.
My new motto... Stay calm... Easier said than done lol.
 
I was told to keep my leg straight.....foot even with my hip. I wish I had one of those foam inverted pillows.
Jan, you're home now. You can do what you want to with your leg, whatever makes it most comfortable. You won't do it any harm. You can elevate your leg comfortably, using pillows, like this:
[Bonesmart.org] Jan's journey to jump!
 
Just take each day as it comes I'm post 4 weeks tomorrow and it is really noticible how things improve and when they do you feel top of the world.
We all have a cry now and again does us good- I try to show the world I'm coping but every now and then I just lose it and good cry helps lol
Take care and glad your getting organised mx and hearing dog Harley sends healing woofs
 
I had surgery the day before you, on the 29th. This is my 2nd knee, first one done 5 months ago. First knee recovery was easy but this one not so much.
As I was walking around the house this morning with my walker, it hurt, and found myself wishing I hadn't had the 2nd surgery. It was inevitable but still wish I had waited a little longer.

I try to keep my leg straight but can't tolerate it, so I let it flop and keep entire leg on a pillow.
As of yesterday I can get in and out of bed by myself, so that's progress.

As for weeping, already been there and done that! My tolerance is less this time and I have been emotional about how much it hurts and because of how long recovery takes.
R knee is 5 months old and is holding up great and not bothering me in the least!
 
Thanks, guys. My PT is coming at 4:00. We'll see what she says about elevation. I also have a rash. I'm going to ask her to look at it. I'm wondering if I'm allergic to one of the meds. I just took a shower and washed my hair. Boy am I glad we redid our shower last summer. It's bigger now, so the potty seat was awesome in there. Plus the handrail was perfect. And I feel human again. New nightgown helps too.

Wow. Getting out of bed by yourself. I'm impressed. I can get out but not in. Can't lift my right leg up to the bed. Maybe soon.

A new puppy will be awesome. My little guy sure cheers me up. Just have to keep him off my knee for now.

PT time.
 
Oh my last post disappeared and I am tired. So I'll sum up. My daughter is coming for 2 weeks. She's been itching to come. I complained a little today and that's all it took. She will be a huge help. It's just Oregon is a long way to come. But she's happy to.

Doc put me on Benadryl and hydrocortisone ointment for rash. No change of meds yet.

PT said I'm right on track. I used my belt to left leg back into bed. That's a huge help. Yay.

How are all of you? One week tomorrow for me. I'm happy about that.

See you tomorrow. Thanks guys!
 
Your doing well for one week out. Your daughter will be a great help and probably wants to check up on you too. I know my girls do!
 
How wonderful that your daughter is coming to take care of you. She is probably thrilled to be able to help you.
Will definitely help your recovery and the two of you will enjoy quality time together.
Was a week yesterday for me and staples out Monday. PT here today for first visit!
 
My doctor mentioned an antidepressant several times, because I would cry so easily. So I took a Zoloft on Tuesday. Big mistake. I was so nauseous. I threw up multiple times and finally got a nauseous drug. I felt better by late afternoon.

My pt came and we went through exercises. But my knee was not my priority. I am feeling a little queasy this morning. I took a tummy pill and am trying to take it easy again. Not quite sure what's wrong, but I will never take another Zoloft. Ugghh. Ready to move on with knee progress.

Anyone else have nausea?

Thanks to all of you for your help!
 
I get nausea with pain medication and I take Zofran at the first sign of it. It seems to help me a lot. At this early point in recovery it does feel overwhelming at times and I cry much more often than normal for me. The physical stress of the surgery seems to do that to me.
 
Hi Guys,

For some reason my last few posts haven't shown up here. Not sure what I did wrong. Now the calvary has arrived. My daughter is here from Portland. Yippy. She will be a great help and relieve some of the pressure from my husband. He was getting a little grumpy. I have had a couple of good days. Once I got rid of that nausea, I've been so much better. That was the worst. PT came today and really worked me over....several new exercises. But she said I was right on track, so I'm super happy about that. It's been 9 days and I feel like I'm rocking' and rollin'. I am feeling some tingling in my leg and I think that's new. Maybe my leg is just tired. Hope everybody is doing well. I'll check back soon. Thanks again for all the support and help.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom