THR JamesUK's recovery

Hello and Happy One Month Anniversary, James!
I hope you enjoyed the weekend and I wish you a wonderful week! :)
@JamesUK
Thank you! Only two weeks before I’m back to work again, like it never happened! I have physio on Friday and I’m going to try and get the all clear to go back in the gym, to do some light static bike and cross trainer. I can’t see why not, as I won’t be bending more than 90, and they’re both low impact. Walking to the park and all the way around it now, without an aid. It’s a good 40 min round-trip, so getting there!
 
Hi @JamesUK It does sound as if you are doing very well with your recovery. I've just checked my notes and I was swimming (slowly and gently) after 4wks with my first hip replacement. Your scar looks good and that is the main issue for pools apart from excessive hip rotation with some (?professional) versions of breaststroke. My second recovery was slower and it was week 10 before I was in the pool - partly because I was relying on my physio giving the go-ahead for free access and he was extra cautious!
I won’t swim, it’s more walking in water and relaxing In the spa pool. I don’t see my surgeon yet, but the scar looks pretty healed. Definitely no leakage or exposed wound.
 
You're doing great, James!
Only want to caution to go slow, it's the mom in me and since you are my sons age, just humor me and let me mother you for a sec, lol. :wink: Promise I won't make a habit of it.
Have a great week!
@JamesUK
 
You're doing great, James!
Only want to caution to go slow, it's the mom in me and since you are my sons age, just humor me and let me mother you for a sec, lol. :wink: Promise I won't make a habit of it.
Have a great week!
@JamesUK
Appreciate it :) I have my 5 week physio on Friday, and he said he expected me to walk in without a crutch and pretty mobile. I’ve tried not to rush, and eased off whenever I feel it getting sore or too fatigued. As I write this, I entirely forgot to take paracetamol today… so I think that’s me done with painkillers. I was on codeine before my op, just to get to sleep, so to be on 0 pain killers 5 weeks on, is just mind blowing to me. I’ve had my moments, but I think the decision to get this out the way, and have 20-30 years at least, hopefully, or pain free life was worth it. My thought is that in. 20-30 years the techniques for revision will probably have come on even further, so if the worse happens and it loosens, I’ll be more mentally prepared, experienced and have a better chance at a smooth revision. Today I managed to set up my desk with duel monitors etc, ready for a return to work, and had a little walk between. I am going to limit my self though, and take each day as it comes.
 
I think the decision to get this out the way, and have 20-30 years at least, hopefully, or pain free life was worth it. My thought is that in. 20-30 years the techniques for revision will probably have come on even further,
You are right! Look at how much joint replacement techniques have improved in the past two decades!

You are doing well and hope that hip lasts you a long, long time and you don't need to worry about revision for many, many years.
 
I think the decision to get this out the way, and have 20-30 years at least, hopefully, or pain free life was worth it. My thought is that in. 20-30 years the techniques for revision will probably have come on even further,
You are right! Look at how much joint replacement techniques have improved in the past two decades!

You are doing well and hope that hip lasts you a long, long time and you don't need to worry about revision for many, many years.
Thanks for the support. Exactly what I thought. My surgeon was telling me about a gentleman that had one of the first hip replacements, and that his lasted a lifetime. The problem is that by the time they collect enough data to average how long these replacements are lasting, the science and techniques have moved on. The plastic component was often one of the first thing to go, but now they use radiation (I think) to fuse the plastic together to make it super durable. I’ve also had the cement-less method, so the erosion of the cement holding the stem inside my thigh bone won’t be an issue. Apparently cement-less is the way to go if you want longevity. So I think I’ve picked the right surgeon (Professor Jeremy Wilkinson, if anybody is looking for a top 1% guy), and the right technique to suit my age/needs. I got to say he’s done a top notch job, and even the wound nurse couldn’t believe how good it looked 10 days post-op. Highly recommend this guy. Anyway I’m rambling so getting a bit more rest before a nice nippy walk.
 
by the time they collect enough data to average how long these replacements are lasting, the science and techniques have moved on.
...And continue to get better for us.

A neighbor of mine had hers replaced back in 1990 and it is still going strong, walking 5 miles a day. If hers is that good after 23 years, I'm expecting mine to see me out! :heehee:
 
@JamesUK Congrats on your new hip! I'm sorry you got off to such a rocky start but am thrilled to read that you are doing so well! There are many Jameses in my family so good name, including my dad. :)

I'm always curious. What led to your replacement by age 40? I'm 45 and had my right done 5 months ago and just did my left due to hip dysplasia, labral tears, cam impingements and some osteoarthritis (all revealed after a rear end car accident that left me with sprained SI joints).

It's really awesome that you are doing so well so early on. From reading through many threads, BoneSmart has many more realistic stories. Other forums I kept reading the magical "3 weeks and I was doing blah blah blah" all over the place. I think it made hip one more difficult mentally for me, but BoneSmart really helped me to see that I was not alone. I haven't been able to do cardio for 3.5 years since the car accident...literally....I tried everything you could think of, but I was left to water walking, and even 20 minutes of that had my muscles all knotted up and miserable, even with the hot tub after. I'm glad you were able to continue with cardio and staying in good shape heading into your surgery.

I think you make really good points about pre-op preparation. I just went through nursing school (second career - first was a teacher), and I also have several friends who are in their 60s and 70s who have had hip and/or knee replacements in the last two years. I went to a hip preservationist who also performs PAOs on younger (20s/early 30s) patients with dysplasia. He does many hip replacements as well, but most of his patients are on the "younger side". I cannot tell you how prepared I felt going into my first surgery. He has his own personal PT in his practice who meets with patients prior and who evaluates patients 6 weeks post op. I had an entire booklet (not huge, but describing the procedure, discussing pain, preparation, constipation, complications and what to do, etc.). None of the friends I spoke with had anything like what I had. Their post op care is great, and they are extremely responsive. With his patients, he says most feel better around 12 weeks and are glad they did it by 6 months. Although I'm not to the six month mark, that rang true for me. I don't know if it has to do with all the muscle compensations or what, but I was given a realistic time line. At 6 weeks, when PT evaluated me, they told me to get PT for soft tissue work and strengthening, but NO HIP FLEXOR strengthening due to research and it showing that sets people back. They also put me in the pool for water walking. My point to all of this is that I was one day outpatient. They are connected to a hospital in case someone needs to be admitted, but I felt so prepared that coming home the same day did not concern me.

From talking with friends and also going through nursing school recently (and probably with my education background), I feel like pre-op care overall (at least in many places in the US) is lacking, as well as post-op care. I feel like I have read so many people's post op instructions that just are totally lacking, and when people go for their follow-ups, they find out they should have done somethings differently and now maybe have some contractures to deal with or other complications). I was very fortunate to find the practice and surgeon I found, and that is what made me feel okay about coming home the same day. Both times all worked out. Both hips are drastically different, and so far my current one is way less painful. 2 weeks out and I might take a muscle relaxant at bed if I feel the muscles are causing the pain. It's nice to read on here that many people have found excellent surgeons they really trust, but I have also had many say their preparation and post op was more hands off (my surgeon obviously has a team, but I will see him at my 6 week appt...with my first I had the smallest amount of drainage and called after-hours. Within minutes he called on his personal phone and asked me to text him images). I really trust his team.

I wish you well as you continue to recover and hope that you can live pain free once again.
 
Last edited:
Comparing longevity with hip replacements is a guess at best. The numbers would show that most "last a lifetime" because most of us that have it done have used up a lot of our life already.
 
Comparing longevity with hip replacements is a guess at best. The numbers would show that most "last a lifetime" because most of us that have it done have used up a lot of our life already.

That’s a point I should have really considered. I guess it was mostly a 65+ procedure that improved life quality for the remainder of peoples lives. I’ve not really gone down the rabbit hole of looking at too much research, but there are so many factors which are at play so you’re probably right about it being problematic. Even if you look at younger patients you have to factor in the increase activity levels and additional wear and tear. Then again theoretically my bone growth and recovery should be smoother, which should help my thigh bone grow securely around the new stem. I guess for me I’m just not going to worry too much about it, but stick to general healthy living habits like before, like keeping weight down, less impact exercises and healthy food. I can only control what I can control, and no point getting too stressed about it, because that’ll finish me off sooner than the hip!
 
@JamesUK Congrats on your new hip! I'm sorry you got off to such a rocky start but am thrilled to read that you are doing so well! There are many Jameses in my family so good name, including my dad. :)

I'm always curious. What led to your replacement by age 40? I'm 45 and had my right done 5 months ago and just did my left due to hip dysplasia, labral tears, cam impingements and some osteoarthritis (all revealed after a rear end car accident that left me with sprained SI joints).

It's really awesome that you are doing so well so early on. From reading through many threads, BoneSmart has many more realistic stories. Other forums I kept reading the magical "3 weeks and I was doing blah blah blah" all over the place. I think it made hip one more difficult mentally for me, but BoneSmart really helped me to see that I was not alone. I haven't been able to do cardio for 3.5 years since the car accident...literally....I tried everything you could think of, but I was left to water walking, and even 20 minutes of that had my muscles all knotted up and miserable, even with the hot tub after. I'm glad you were able to continue with cardio and staying in good shape heading into your surgery.

I think you make really good points about pre-op preparation. I just went through nursing school (second career - first was a teacher), and I also have several friends who are in their 60s and 70s who have had hip and/or knee replacements in the last two years. I went to a hip preservationist who also performs PAOs on younger (20s/early 30s) patients with dysplasia. He does many hip replacements as well, but most of his patients are on the "younger side". I cannot tell you how prepared I felt going into my first surgery. He has his own personal PT in his practice who meets with patients prior and who evaluates patients 6 weeks post op. I had an entire booklet (not huge, but describing the procedure, discussing pain, preparation, constipation, complications and what to do, etc.). None of the friends I spoke with had anything like what I had. Their post op care is great, and they are extremely responsive. With his patients, he says most feel better around 12 weeks and are glad they did it by 6 months. Although I'm not to the six month mark, that rang true for me. I don't know if it has to do with all the muscle compensations or what, but I was given a realistic time line. At 6 weeks, when PT evaluated me, they told me to get PT for soft tissue work and strengthening, but NO HIP FLEXOR strengthening due to research and it showing that sets people back. They also put me in the pool for water walking. My point to all of this is that I was one day outpatient. They are connected to a hospital in case someone needs to be admitted, but I felt so prepared that coming home the same day did not concern me.

From talking with friends and also going through nursing school recently (and probably with my education background), I feel like pre-op care overall (at least in many places in the US) is lacking, as well as post-op care. I feel like I have read so many people's post op instructions that just are totally lacking, and when people go for their follow-ups, they find out they should have done somethings differently and now maybe have some contractures to deal with or other complications). I was very fortunate to find the practice and surgeon I found, and that is what made me feel okay about coming home the same day. Both times all worked out. Both hips are drastically different, and so far my current one is way less painful. 2 weeks out and I might take a muscle relaxant at bed if I feel the muscles are causing the pain. It's nice to read on here that many people have found excellent surgeons they really trust, but I have also had many say their preparation and post op was more hands off (my surgeon obviously has a team, but I will see him at my 6 week appt...with my first I had the smallest amount of drainage and called after-hours. Within minutes he called on his personal phone and asked me to text him images). I really trust his team.

I wish you well as you continue to recover and hope that you can live pain free once again.
Hi, and was really interesting learning about your journey and experience!

@What led me to a hip replacement?

It started in my late 20s. I woke up one morning entirely twisted to one side. I’d over worked in a manual job, and had to take 5 days off for the spasm to go down. Since then (12/13 years) I’ve had what I thought was ongoing, occasional back pain, which the doctors misdiagnosed. Because it was only occasional flair ups, I just lived with it. I’d asked the NHS multiple times for an MRI/Xray, but they only X-rayed my lower back, and not my hip. Then in the last 3-4 months it went from occasional back to pain to more constant pain in my upper glute area. Fortunately, my job now has great pre existing health cover, so I went to a private consultant, who immediately sent me for a hip and lower back MRI. Well… it wasn’t pretty. I had hip dysplasia in my right hip, and due to the length of time it had been left, and my history of high impact sports, all of the impact had been smashing against a small area of the joint. As I mentioned, I think because of the time I had been dealing with it, the modern materials being used, the pain level id already reached, and the fact that exercise and physio had not helped, I just opted to have it replaced. I’m not here to discredit the NHS but they are very focused on cost, and I feel a little let down that had they picked this up much sooner, I wouldn’t have needed to have it replaced at all. Not that I’m bitter, but over time my body had tightened and weakened, my mobility was 50% on my right leg, and arthritis had kicked in.
 
I’m not here to discredit the NHS but they are very focused on cost, and I feel a little let down that had they picked this up much sooner, I wouldn’t have needed to have it replaced at all. Not that I’m bitter, but over time my body had tightened and weakened, my mobility was 50% on my right leg, and arthritis had kicked in.

How's your other hip look? That's amazing. My dysplasia didn't show up on x-rays or and MRI. I had a CT scan that showed it, and it took 2.5 years after my accident. I also ended up having pelvic floor dysfunction and hidden inguinal hernias (a triad of conditions), and the only person to figure it out was a specialist (my hip preservationist). I'm a researcher, and I don't know if you ever looked much into hip dysplasia, but 9 out of 10 cases are found in adolescents and adults...not in babies. In addition, it takes on average 5 years to get diagnosed once symptoms appear. I had symptoms my whole life, but they were so random that no one ever looked into my hips. I just got strange looks and unintentionally swept under the rug. Drs. don't know what they don't know, which is true for all of us.

the last 3-4 months it went from occasional back to pain to more constant pain in my upper glute area.
Oh my do I relate to this. Those gluten work sooooooo hard to stabilize your pelvis. I've dealt with the twisted pelvis since the accident and am hoping that now that I have both hips done, my body can finally recover. That glute pain is real. Once symptoms appears from hip dysplasia, they won't ever get better and will continue to trend worse as the body tries to compensate.

I'm glad you finally got answers. It makes my heart happy to hear.
 
How's your other hip look? That's amazing. My dysplasia didn't show up on x-rays or and MRI. I had a CT scan that showed it, and it took 2.5 years after my accident. I also ended up having pelvic floor dysfunction and hidden inguinal hernias (a triad of conditions), and the only person to figure it out was a specialist (my hip preservationist). I'm a researcher, and I don't know if you ever looked much into hip dysplasia, but 9 out of 10 cases are found in adolescents and adults...not in babies. In addition, it takes on average 5 years to get diagnosed once symptoms appear. I had symptoms my whole life, but they were so random that no one ever looked into my hips. I just got strange looks and unintentionally swept under the rug. Drs. don't know what they don't know, which is true for all of us.
I know much less about it, thought it was a developmental issue a person is born with, and if you catch it early enough, a baby/toddler can wear a brace to help the ball sit in the socket better. You’re opening a can of worms here related to diagnosis, as it’s as sore as my wound ha. I think tagging on a pelvis scan to a back MRI or x-ray should be standard practice. They have the patient there on the scan table. It’s a small adjustment to the equipment to scan the pelvis. It just seems sensible to me, as I’m an example of somebody who’s dysplasia immediately came up on the x-ray and had it been caught pre-arthritis, could have potentially been resolved with a much less drastic procedure. The hip can cause so many symptoms in the glutes, groin, mobility and even caused muscle wasting in my right calf. It might not be the easiest to diagnose but from an x-ray you can at least see if the ball is sitting in the socket, or am I wrong? Sorry to hear you had a rough time being diagnosed, I was the opposite from the MRI…as my ball and socket were pretty messed up and I think flattened slightly.
 
Oh my do I relate to this. Those gluten work sooooooo hard to stabilize your pelvis. I've dealt with the twisted pelvis since the accident and am hoping that now that I have both hips done, my body can finally recover. That glute pain is real. Once symptoms appears from hip dysplasia, they won't ever get better and will continue to trend worse as the body tries to compensate.

Ye, it was only going to get worse, and my thinking was do I sit for 10-20 years getting gradually worse, from a point where I’m already in pain, to probably a stage where I can’t walk (put on weight, impact my job etc) or do I just bite the bullet now, and get through my working age pain free. When I retire I’ll have a lot more free time and I can really focus on making it last :)
 
You’re opening a can of worms here related to diagnosis, as it’s as sore as my wound ha.
I'm sorry! Not trying to do that! In babies, yes, they can do a brace, but I assure you there are several people when older still have hip problems leading to procedures.

If caught earlier...like in your 20s, the procedure is not a simple fix. They will do PT and exercise modifactions and such, however, if a candidate before OA sets in, they can do something called a periacetabular osetomy, and it is a hip preservation surgery, but it is not easy. They literally cut your socket out, reposition it, and screw it back in place so the ball has better coverage. (My sister wore a brace. She totally has symptoms but someone not paying attention didn't ram into the back of her car causing SI joint damage and instability--and hopefully never does).

Babies--they only catch 1 out of 10 cases, so you are most certainly not alone. It was a tough pill for me to swallow, and I was released from my mental health therapist (I went because of the car accident and other trauma in my life). We agreed once I had a diagnosis and learned I was having hip replacements in my 40s I was going to keep seeing her just to check in. BUT, even though it took this long to get diagnosed, you have HOPE. There is something that could be done about your pain. And, fortunately, the procedure has been around so long, they have had time to make many advancements.

Unfortunately, in the US at least, medicine isn't designed to look for the why's...just to treat the symptoms. There are doctors who will dig deeper, but from experience (my child has a condition), not everyone gets to meet those doctors. When I met mine, he said I was a complicated case and "we are going to figure this out", and then when he diagnosed me, he said, "your pain is real. you are not crazy. this is not all in your head." I imagine he says that to many patients bc by the time people find him, no one has given them answers. I was in awe of his bedside manner and asked where all the doctors are like him. haha
it was only going to get worse, and my thinking was do I sit for 10-20 years getting gradually worse,
I would venture to say you would have been lucky to get 10-20 years. If the glute pain had gotten this bad, more and more muscles were going to come into play and your hip would deteriorate more. Dysplasia is a joy. Haha.

Sorry.. I'm being long winded. I'm still only 2 weeks out and bored out of my mind, and I am so passionate about helping people with chronic conditions that I have changed my career to go into the health field and have spent loads of time researching. It excites me to hear your story (not in a way that I am glad that this has been your journey, but in a way that I'm glad you got answers and are headed down a path to recovery). Thanks for sharing.
 
Sorry.. I'm being long winded. I'm still only 2 weeks out and bored out of my mind, and I am so passionate about helping people with chronic conditions that I have changed my career to go into the health field and have spent loads of time researching.
Not at all, I don’t know if you noticed but I have written several mini essays, and some of them heavily under the influence of morphine, so I don’t dare to read them back lol! I think before this forum i felt pretty alone in my boredom and situation. All of the responses, including yours have been a nice distraction and informative. Never apologise.

It’s interesting that you mentioned the American system, because I think one of my mistakes was watching US based recovery videos. It was very much focused on speed.. ‘hey we can get you in, and you’ll be walking in a day.’ Very little mentioned about what caused their problems, just that they’re using the latest bots and gadgets to get you back in to work (I guess) as quickly as possible. Also, everyone I spoke to knew a relative that had a hip replacement and they were up and about in no time. So I was mentally prepared to be moving the same day. My op was then moved to afternoon, I had little time to get a good base line pain killer in me, so as the nerve blockers etc wore off, I ended up getting no physio that day, and no sleep that night. I must have called the nurse 6 times, and was pumping morphine In me, trying to get on top of the pain. The sheets were too hot, the air con was then too cold… just a really bad night in general. I don’t know if it’s possible, but I kinda wish that I’d of jacked up on codeine before the op, so I had something in my system for when it wore off. If you can get a morning surgery I’d say push for it… mine was the last of the day, and unless your physio works evenings, you’re stuck waiting for somebody to get you out of bed. The nurses were a little reluctant to even help me try and go to the toilet with a walker because the physio had not seen me yet.
 
Those dreaded stockings:nah:good you are ready to ditch them...
Hope the rest of your week is Happy!
 
Comparing longevity with hip replacements is a guess at best. The numbers would show that most "last a lifetime" because most of us that have it done have used up a lot of our life already.

That’s a point I should have really considered. I guess it was mostly a 65+ procedure that improved life quality for the remainder of peoples lives. I’ve not really gone down the rabbit hole of looking at too much research, but there are so many factors which are at play so you’re probably right about it being problematic. Even if you look at younger patients you have to factor in the increase activity levels and additional wear and tear. Then again theoretically my bone growth and recovery should be smoother, which should help my thigh bone grow securely around the new stem. I guess for me I’m just not going to worry too much about it, but stick to general healthy living habits like before, like keeping weight down, less impact exercises and healthy food. I can only control what I can control, and no point getting too stressed about it, because that’ll finish me off sooner than the hip!
Best thing to do is not worry about it, not much you can change as you've already had the operation. What will be will be from here on. All you can do now is make decisions based on the fact you have a hip implant. I'm not good at those decisions. I almost liked it better when I had bad hips and I didn't have to think, after all what was the worst that could happen? With the bad hips I knew if I screwed them up they would be replaced and I was heading there anyway. Now when I screw up I risk screwing up the replacement and having a revision if possible.
 
@JamesUK

Well, I am glad you are doing much better, and I'm so sorry you had a rough start with pain. If they ever (hopefully not) have to do the other hip, you now have more information to help them manage things. I don't know if anesthesia is different there than here, but part of anesthesia is fentanyl, which helps with pain tremendously. I don't think it is always used, but when used correctly during a procedure, it can be very helpful. So when I woke, my pain was less this time because I was able to tell them that I woke up with more pain the first time.

I really love that my surgeon from the get go told me not to expect a quick recovery, and in fact, I just had my 2 week (which had to be over the phone because my PA is not feeling well -- I was fine with that given that I've been through this before and I know what to do and have zero concerns). He told me to expect to not to feel good until 12 weeks. I still read all those miraculous stories of people early on, and they are misleading for many.

I too got to take off my compression stockings today! yay! Now, I am just on Aspirin.

I hope your recovery continues to go well and keep us updated!
 
Back
Top Bottom